• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Des Merrion status or whereabouts?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
The solution is to build more prisons. The cost of building extra prisons is much less than the cost to society of having criminals roaming the streets preying on the innocent.
Originally Posted by lasbar
really? 20 grands a year per prisoners, the prisons themselves and the staff.... Even the current law and order government is not going to do it. In America ,prisons are big business employing most of the town inhabitants where they're built... I agree with letting real criminals going out too early ..
Gentlemen, gentlemen. We all know that the real solution is the re-introduction of the death penalty, perhaps in the interest of the more soft-hearted amongst us re-instated with a '3 strikes' clause. But swiftly acted upon nonetheless when (finally) meted out. In particular - I think the 'swiftly' bit of the equation is something that we can indeed learn from our future overlords, the Chinese.
tongue.gif
devil.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Ay329 - IMO it is a sad testament to your life experiences to enter a state of mind where it is recommended - nay, the wise thing - to expend so much effort to combat the real/imagined (and ultimately, exceedingly rare) worst impulses of your fellow human beings. There is so much fear, yet instead of directing your efforts to solve the root causes of criminal behaviour you would instead seek a method to take matters into your own hands, for your own ends. It's easier, and more emotionally satisfying, I suppose.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Michael Ay329 - IMO it is a sad testament to your life experiences to enter a state of mind where it is recommended - nay, the wise thing - to expend so much effort to combat the real/imagined (and ultimately, exceedingly rare) worst impulses of your fellow human beings. There is so much fear, yet instead of directing your efforts to solve the root causes of criminal behaviour you would instead seek a method to take matters into your own hands, for your own ends. It's easier, and more emotionally satisfying, I suppose.
Mmmm, and what do you suppose those 'root causes' are...?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know them, Gladstone.
Oh, come now apropos, the social deprivation argument is demonstrably not true. If this hypothesis were correct everyone born in such circumstances would be a criminal when in fact the vast majority are law abiding. It is also insulting to those who were brought up in such circumstances and have made a success of their lives. It is convenient and common conceit amongst the left to blame society for [all] society's evils and more so, it is dangerous because it allows people to abdicate personnel responsibility for their own actions, as we are clearly seeing in Britain. By the way, we no longer send children down the pits or into the cotton mill, because we have no pits left or cotton mills left
wink.gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this hypothesis were correct everyone born in such circumstances would be a criminal when in fact the vast majority are law abiding. It is also insulting to those who were brought up in such circumstances are have made a success of their live.
You confuse correlation with causality, have taken a black/white (criminal/not criminal) POV on a topic that is shades of grey (more/less likely to become a criminal), and to top it off have thrown in a heck of a non-sequitur (apparently, it's wrong to suggest that social deprivation has anything to do with criminality because the non-criminal socially deprived might find it 'insulting' - come on).
It is convenient and common conceit amongst the left to blame society for [all] society's evils and more so, it is dangerous because it allows people to abdicate personnel responsibility for their own actions, as we are clearly seeing in Britain.
Trying to eradicate root causes of criminality = abdication of personal responsibility = giving a free pass to criminals? Really?
confused.gif
And... allowing citizens the means to gun down criminals counts as a brilliant idea?
confused.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You confuse correlation with causality
I'm not quite sure what you mean here, explain.
Trying to eradicate root causes of criminality = abdication of personal responsibility = giving a free pass to criminals? Really?
confused.gif

What makes you think you can eradicate the root causes of criminality...?
And... allowing citizens the means to gun down criminals counts as a brilliant idea?
confused.gif

What about giving citizens the right to defend themselves from an ever increasing number of gun wielding criminals...?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean here, explain.
http://stats.org/in_depth/faq/causation_correlation.htm I'm assuming that by your tacit silence on my other points you've also acknowledged the patent stupidity of the points they addressed.
What makes you think you can eradicate the root causes of criminality...?
What makes you think we can't?
What about giving citizens the right to defend themselves from an ever increasing number of gun wielding criminals...?
That fear again... I suppose you would be better off if governments banned you from driving as opposed to legislating speed limits, driving licenses, or seatbelt wearing, because - hey guess what - driving kills!!!! You guys also have a heck of a lot more stabbings than shootings in the UK - shall we ban knives too?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://stats.org/in_depth/faq/causation_correlation.htm
I'm well aware what correlation means, I still don't get your point. What did you think I meant?
I'm assuming that by your tacit silence on my other points you've also acknowledged the patent stupidity of the points they addressed.
I'd didn't ignore them I didn't think they were worthy of further discussion when I typed my response.
What makes you think we can't?
Give me an example were we have...?
I suppose you would be better off if governments banned you from driving as opposed to legislating speed limits, driving licenses, or seatbelt wearing, because - hey guess what - driving kills!!!! You guys also have a heck of a lot more stabbings than shootings in the UK - shall we ban knives too?
You have lost me again here...stop rambling!

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL - as expected, Gladstone.
crackup[1].gif
In your words - QFI?
crackup[1].gif

You are aware, that you edited your post as I was writing mine. Apropos, you are a strange man.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
A farmer not too far away from my home town made himself famous (tony martin) at the end of the last century by blowing a 13 year old burgler away with his illegal shotgun. He refused to apologise and was sentenced to prison, a public outcry follow and he was released early.
Many here felt the Crown Prosecutors ran out of control condemning Tony Martin and dipshit Constubalries in London telling the public "this is not America....call us in an emergency"...and if you can't call us...just take it *********** when burglars invade your home. On a side note, when Tony Martin was in the process of being released...the surviving burglar (labeled as a victim under the law)...who was still serving his prison sentence (a repeat offender), was interviewed by Crown Prosecutors to determine if he had any objection to Tony's release. This is a Bizzarro world when your burglar, is labeled a victim and has a say on your release. "Remember Tony Martin" is a rallying cry still being heard at American gun shops, guns shows and firing ranges. Am sure Des had this in mind when he took steps to arm himself in the hopes of defending his family residence from burglars and violent crime

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Many here felt the Crown Prosecutors ran out of control condemning Tony Martin and dipshit Constubalries in London telling the public "this is not America....call us in an emergency"...and if you can't call us...just take it *********** when burglars invade your home. On a side note, when Tony Martin was in the process of being released...the surviving burglar (labeled as a victim under the law)...who was still serving his prison sentence (a repeat offender), was interviewed by Crown Prosecutors to determine if he had any objection to Tony's release. This is a Bizzarro world when your burglar, is labeled a victim and has a say on your release. "Remember Tony Martin" is a rallying cry still being heard at American gun shops, guns shows and firing ranges. Am sure Des had this in mind when he took steps to arm himself in the hopes of defending his family residence from burglars and violent crime
Please, the burglar came from a poor family, it's not his fault, it is society's fault, well, it is in the world that are darling leftist friend apropos lives in.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Am sure Des had this in mind when he took steps to arm himself in the hopes of defending his family residence from burglars and violent crime

Did you take the time to read the article linked? Smuggling a gun (multiple shipment of parts of the gun trying to be unnoticed) ... and you already own other guns ... maybe just a paranoid, but one more for no guns then

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads