• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Gehry probably designed that pattern himself. He did it for WDCH to honor Lillian Disney who put up the initial $50M for the hall, and loved flowers. They used the pattern for the carpets as well:

--Andre

Ditto re: the Lillian Disney Memorial Fountain. She loved Delft porcelain, roses and gardening.

IMG_5941-e1275883852659.jpg

IMG_5908-e1275884454491.jpg

Disney_0135.jpg

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
better half is admiring a new John Pawson book we picked up. Apparently I'm supposed to work for one of the banks over in London so she can work at that firm.

I fully endorse this plan. You should also check out this book if you haven't. It's very similar to Plain Space. I've been giddy about it all morning.

Vincent-Van-Duysen-Complete-Works-050034261X-L.jpg

vincent%20van%20duysen%20open%20book.jpg

vvd04dailyicon.jpg

vvd01dailyicon.jpg

vvd02dailyicon.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I fully endorse this plan. You should also check out this book if you haven't. It's very similar to Plain Space. I've been giddy about it all morning.

noted, I'll see if I can find it locally for her (or if it's in her firm's library). Funny, on Amazon it's listed with the Pawson book for "commonly purchased together".

One of the people at her firm worked at whichever local architect Pawson used for his NYC stuff, and so I believe they got to explore the drawings for Calvin Klein's apartment (apparently he didn't want them published).

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second that emotion. To work with Pawson would be great.

Nice book!

I just picked up some Siza (Due Musei and the book by Testa), Eduardo Souto de Moura (huge monograph by Leoni and Esposito); and Gonçalo Byrne (Obras e Projectos and Carrilo de Graça) to add to my Porto/Lisbon School Holy Trinity library. Such nice work.

Why the hell are all the good Zumthor books so expensive???

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
dammit you guys. She has the contacts and everything, it's just a matter of where be both are right now in our careers. London needs 5-6 years ... then maybe.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian

Why the hell are all the good Zumthor books so expensive???

Limited print. I think he has a philosophical aversion to publicity. I got his book on the Thermal Vals a few years ago for $150 or so and then sold it a year later for roughly the same price. It's now about $400-500, but it was a really nice book. All of the design scheming was done with colored pencils on trace paper. There is an endless catalog of all these really rough and rudimentary sketches.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
^^^^

damn it, she would love a book like that. Especially on the Thermal Vals, something she visited and then appropriately praised 2-3 years ago.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Limited print. I think he has a philosophical aversion to publicity. I got his book on the Thermal Vals a few years ago for $150 or so and then sold it a year later for roughly the same price. It's now about $400-500, but it was a really nice book. All of the design scheming was done with colored pencils on trace paper. There is an endless catalog of all these really rough and rudimentary sketches.

No kidding!

Peter Zumthor Works: Buildings and Projects, 1979-1997
by Peter Zumthor and Helene Binet (Hardcover - Nov 1999)
....................New from.....Used from
Hardcover....$1,804.00....$1,067.32

Peter Zumthor. Three Concepts by Peter Zumthor
(Paperback - Sep 23, 1997)
Paperback....$1,749.97....$1,749.96

Kunsthaus Bregenz (Werkdokumente / Kunsthaus Bregenz, Archiv Kunst Architektur)
by Peter Zumthor (Paperback - May 2, 1999)
Paperback....$200.00......$144.99

wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif

I never even see the Vals book listed.

I love your Richter avatar, by the way.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
^^^^

damn it, she would love a book like that. Especially on the Thermal Vals, something she visited and then appropriately praised 2-3 years ago.

This book contains some very beautiful drawings and sketches.

51OOEhjh5fL._SS500_.jpg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn thing has achieved cult-like status, I guess.

Architects will soon be talking in terms of having to sell or being able to buy Zumthors, when they discuss the economy....

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
none of the architects i know could afford zumthor books.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads