• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are (Alden) ankle boots comfortable ?

tebow

Reaction score
I'm considering buying these shell cordovans:

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men...ell_cordo.html

86316.jpg

2R_86316.jpg

However, several people have told me that ankle boots in general can be very uncomfortable depending on how they rub the ankle/heel and that they can also wear out socks quickly. So does anyone have experience with Alden ankle boots that can confirm or deny the comfort level?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own those exact boots, and have no problems with comfort. Fit is key, make sure you try them on before you buy.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are awesome. Buy. I have Alden Indys, I have problems with my right foot but that's because I have what I assume to be tendonitis lol. They're super comfortable and possibly one of the best shoes/boots I own

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Those are awesome. Buy. I have Alden Indys, I have problems with my right foot but that's because I have what I assume to be tendonitis lol. They're super comfortable and possibly one of the best shoes/boots I own

Go the the foot doctor on Washington Street. Fixed me right up.

tebow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slickman
I would go with the cigar chukka over that, and yes the chukka is very comfortable
I would go with the cigar Chukka, but I have only seen it available in the Barrie last which doesn't fit my foot very well.
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I own those exact boots, and have no problems with comfort. Fit is key, make sure you try them on before you buy.
The local store doesn't carry those exact shoes, but I have tried on some Aldens with a Hampton last. They fit decently well in a 10.5 D, with a little slippage in the heel. Can I assume that an Aberdeen last (like those ankle boots) in the same size would fit as well or better? I am going to have to mail order the shoes so trying them on in advance isn't an option.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of non-shell ankle boots, and they did take some getting used to, as it feels odd to hav e something sealing your upper ankle. It's not bad, but I wonder how forgiving shell is going to be, in terns of conforming around your upper Achilles.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been enamored with the Alden NST lately. It's the poor-man's Dover. A must

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have the 9 eyelet version of that boot and several other pairs of shell and calf Aldens boots.
Never had any comfort problems.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never tried that style but found 2 eyelet chukka uncomfortable
I think the high boots are much better

Tomboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tebow
I would go with the cigar Chukka, but I have only seen it available in the Barrie last which doesn't fit my foot very well.

The local store doesn't carry those exact shoes, but I have tried on some Aldens with a Hampton last. They fit decently well in a 10.5 D, with a little slippage in the heel. Can I assume that an Aberdeen last (like those ankle boots) in the same size would fit as well or better? I am going to have to mail order the shoes so trying them on in advance isn't an option.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you; the Barrie last seems to fit me well on only two of the three criteria that I gauge fit on, length, width and heel even though I tried on various sizes and widths of the same shoe. When the length and width fit well, my heel floated (which gave me a very "unsteady" feeling). When the heel and width fit well, the shoe felt too long and when the heel and length fit well, the width was too narrow. Alas, I discovered shoes on the Aberdeen last fit me perfectly.

I was pretty disappointed because it seems that the majority of really interesting shoes (to wear with jeans and khakis) tend to be on the Barrie last.
musicboohoo[1].gif

deputychino

Reaction score
I have a pair of 405s and I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but the 405s run larger than I expected them to. Not sure if this is common with all Aldens or not. As far as comfort is concerned they rubbed my heel they first few times I wore them, but once the leather started to break in(less than a week of wearing) they have felt fine ever since.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads