• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mens Wearhouse CEO to Step Down

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, now we can blame someone else for men dressing in cheap suits and ugly ties?

399609FEZ_S10_ADF.jpg

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the new CEO will go fashion forward with slimmer, modern suits...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
yeah. at same cheap prices. i wouldnt mind if the quality was subpar, but something wearable, slim, and modern sleek looking. that would be actually great and hit an untapped marketplace

Don't H&M and Zara already target that market?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I hear hes stepping down to devote more time to the website he owns AAAC.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

I could be wrong but I don't believe those chains offer standard suit sizing, and if they do, they surely don't offer Long or Short sizing.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

actually what i meant was, mens clothing SF approved cuts. like those found on an rlbl or john varvatos, certain armani cuts, isaia, dior, and the like. but made with the made in china fabric and fused construction to be made really cheap. and im not just talking about the diffusion line cheap... z zegna still runs 900 dollars at least. im talking about like $149.
but at least you would be able to wear out to a club in style but not afraid to have anything spilled onto it.
h&m and zara are slim fitting but the suit cuts are really generic. im talking about refined slim designer type cuts but at zara price point

i think if someone tapped into that, somehow made it work, then it would be very lucrative

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I think an low-intermediate pricepoint, well fitting, decently constructed suits would be a good target. I'm thinking similar to j crew, but slimmer fitting, and made more cheaply.

I've only been to H&M a few times, but the times I've gone in, their suits looked like they were falling apart off the rack and felt like tissue paper. Zara is okay, but their cuts look like they are trying too hard in most cases.

Also, H&M and Zara have the impression of targetting the college crowd, while MW can re-shape their image to young professionals.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^^
I disagree. People in the market for Men's Wearhouse are not interested in "fit", "design", etc. They are forced into having to wear a "dressy" clothing item for work or some occasion, don't plan to wear it outside of that context, and consequently, don't want to pay a lot for it.

MW is not looking to offer cheap facsimiles of well-designed suits, jackets, etc. to satisfy the needs of a club-going iGent. That is a super-small niche market, and in my view, not a big profit opportunity.

Notice their business is described as: "renting tuxedos and selling suits and more informal clothing." The idea is to offer basic "dressy" clothing to those that neither want to wear such items or have to. This, I'm afraid, describes 95% of U.S. men, which is an interesting market proposition.

rgoldstein

Reaction score
actually what i meant was, mens clothing SF approved cuts. like those found on an rlbl or john varvatos, certain armani cuts, isaia, dior, and the like. but made with the made in china fabric and fused construction to be made really cheap. and im not just talking about the diffusion line cheap... z zegna still runs 900 dollars at least. im talking about like $149.
but at least you would be able to wear out to a club in style but not afraid to have anything spilled onto it.
h&m and zara are slim fitting but the suit cuts are really generic. im talking about refined slim designer type cuts but at zara price point

i think if someone tapped into that, somehow made it work, then it would be very lucrative

Have you ever actually been to a Men's Wearhouse? They have this kind of thing in every location I've been to. Usually well priced and decent for what you pay.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
Have you ever actually been to a Men's Wearhouse? They have this kind of thing in every location I've been to. Usually well priced and decent for what you pay.

ive been into mw and 3 day suit broker and the like. they do have the slim cut suit, but they stilll run billowy. they arent in any sense of the sf type slim i am referring to. and the cuts are generic believe me

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive been into mw and 3 day suit broker and the like. they do have the slim cut suit, but they stilll run billowy. they arent in any sense of the sf type slim i am referring to. and the cuts are generic believe me

The place you're looking for is called Express, and their suits are actually pretty good.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
This is the worst news I have heard all day. I hope I can sleep tonight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads