• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage stuff from Vintage Gent

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
p1010160lg3.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread, VG.
blush.gif

SO YOU WERE THE ONE THAT OUTBID ME ON THOSE BUTTON LINKS!!!!!!!!
boxing[1].gif

Well at least someone worthy got them. Well semi worthy
tounge.gif

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Alambic Drunkfinger.
Cheers on the Lambic. It's my favorite.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VG, Do you only buy clothes that fits you, or do you just buy to collect?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Interesting that I named the lesser-known "Tiffany" of iridescent glass.
Heh, yes - but they're often confused and tampered with: Antiques Roadshow:
In the 1960s and 1970s, when collectors began to pay increasing sums for Tiffany, "people would take any unsigned piece of iridescent glass and put a Tiffany signature on it," Arlie explains. Unsavory and unknowing glass owners even added a Tiffany signature to quality pieces such as Steuben and Loetz, studios that sent out many of their iridescent pieces unsigned. "We once saw a beautiful Loetz flower-form glass vase "” it screamed of Loetz "” and it had a magnificent Tiffany signature," Arlie says, adding, "It's the glass you should be collecting not the signatures. I always look at forms and colors.
Article:
"As prices go up and up, objects go round and round, often with bewildering speed.....A Southern client sent a photograph of a Tiffany lamp to Christie's and, following an exchange of correspondence, the lamp arrived in New York where, on inspection, it was found to be a modern reproduction. The owner was notified and the lamp returned. It was immediately placed in a local auction where it was purchased and sent by the next owner -- to Christie's. It was again returned. Over the next three months the piece is now known to have changed hands three further times, making its way, finally, into a Tiffany collection in California just in time to be included in a shipment -- to Christie's. The entire episode, from the time the first photograph of the lamp was sent, to the time that the lamp made its third visit to New York, took only seven months, highlighting the frantic pace at which the Tiffany market can operate. Another indomitable adversary has been an unsigned iridescent Loetz glass vase which first sold at Christie's in 1977, only to reappear some months later with a full Tiffany signature. The consignor.....took it to a glass restorer to have the Tiffany signature removed. The vase was then returned to Christie's and offered in its original condition. It has recently re-appeared on the market, this time boldly inscribed Loetz Austria."

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this thrift find in the vintage hawaiian shirt thread:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
(...) although this one's really Barbadian (Barbudian? Barbadoan?), I suppose:
DSC01388.jpg
DSC01390.jpg
DSC01391.jpg

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These printed shirts seem a little "I'm really psyched for casual friday".

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
These printed shirts seem a little "I'm really psyched for casual friday".

Perhaps, but they come from a time long before the advent of that heresy. In the spirit for which they were originally intended, I reserve them for the weekend.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I embarked on this project, I had hoped it would be educational--or at least entertaining on a small level. More and more, I've come to think of these postings as a kind of sartorial narcissism. Maybe I'm just in a funk, but, for the time being, I'm going to put this effort in abeyance.

Thanks to all who posted your kind words, and especially to those who joined in the posting fun. Your contributions really spiffed things up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads