• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
IMO it's no longer the seller's responsibility if he can prove he sent it to the right address and USPS shows it delivered. Sounds like a problem either with the USPS delivering it to the wrong place or your mailroom misplacing it. Either way, it might show up soon.

I hope it does show up. If it doesn't, then does that mean I'm sort of screwed?

Cheers

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if he has tracking showed delivered to the right address, it's highly unlikely you'd win any paypal dispute (assuming that's how you paid) - your best bet may be talking to your local post office and asking them to look at it, and hounding the mailroom to look for it. Hopefully it's just misplaced somewhere.

A side note: ebay sellers have been known to mail an empty box to an address in your same zip code (but not to you, so you can't show Paypal the photos of the empty box) and then they have sufficient tracking to win a paypal dispute, at least sometimes. There's lots of dirty, dirty tricks out there.

That said, I wouldn't expect that level of skulduggery from a SF member - I'm sure it's just lost in the mailroom or post office.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
A side note: ebay sellers have been known to mail an empty box to an address in your same zip code (but not to you, so you can't show Paypal the photos of the empty box) and then they have sufficient tracking to win a paypal dispute, at least sometimes. There's lots of dirty, dirty tricks out there.

eek.gif
That's despicable! I'd never heard of that before now. Thanks for giving me nightmares from here out.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Well, if he has tracking showed delivered to the right address, it's highly unlikely you'd win any paypal dispute (assuming that's how you paid) - your best bet may be talking to your local post office and asking them to look at it, and hounding the mailroom to look for it. Hopefully it's just misplaced somewhere.

That said, I wouldn't expect that level of skulduggery from a SF member - I'm sure it's just lost in the mailroom or post office.

I'm sure he's not one of these scandalous sellers as other SF members said he is great. I just hope to find my package b/c it contains links and a square. I spoke to my mail room manager and he said he's on it. We'll see what happens in the next few days.

Cheers

hyakku

Reaction score
Now that ive taken the time out to go see some better shoes in stores, I'm getting a much better feel. Spotted some colehaans and AEs at a local GW pretty quickly, but they seemed a bit damaged. My issue now is that i can't tell whats irreparable and what can be taken to a shoe repair spot as all the shoes I went out researching were new.

Anyone got any tips on what may constitute too damaged and not? Most of the shoes I saw were scuffed/ slightly frayed without much damage to the shoe itself. I was tryingto use the sticked thread where one of the shoe makers up here was repairing a pair of shoes, but halfway through the thread all the pictures stopped loading so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hyakku
Now that ive taken the time out to go see some better shoes in stores, I'm getting a much better feel. Spotted some colehaans and AEs at a local GW pretty quickly, but they seemed a bit damaged. My issue now is that i can't tell whats irreparable and what can be taken to a shoe repair spot as all the shoes I went out researching were new.

Anyone got any tips on what may constitute too damaged and not? Most of the shoes I saw were scuffed/ slightly frayed without much damage to the shoe itself. I was tryingto use the sticked thread where one of the shoe makers up here was repairing a pair of shoes, but halfway through the thread all the pictures stopped loading so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Generally irreparable issues:
- Stitching on the uppers coming apart
- Deep cuts or scrapes on the leather
- Tears or cracks on the uppers
- Creased toecaps (in the stiffened area)
- Sides/heel counters broken down from feet being jammed in repeatedly

Problems that can be fixed or patched (to some degree):
- Light scuffs and scratches on the uppers
- Holes in the soles
- Worn heels
- Soles coming away from the welt
- Lining cracked/peeling/falling apart
- Creases from lack of using shoe trees

Now, whether it's worth spending the money to fix any of this depends on the shoe. I won't buy Allen Edmonds or below if they need anything more than polishing. I'm willing to put new heels on a pair of Aldens; possibly new soles as well if they're shell cordovan.

I hadn't thought this through until now, but generally I won't buy used shoes if my total investment (purchase price + repairs) would be more than about 20% of the shoes' original retail value.

951socal

Reaction score
Picked up 2 pairs of Dooney and Bourke suspenders/braces

Made in england

i don't normally wear them but i needed a set for a tux and they are both dark in dolor so might work.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I got out of the thrifting game a long time ago, but Im visiting the inlaws for the weekend and took a trip out to the local shops... and hit this
smile.gif

c6453d97.jpg

Nice... I hit the Buckhead (Atlanta) Salavation Army the other day and found a Charvet...

JMayle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Nice... I hit the Buckhead (Atlanta) Salavation Army the other day and found a Charvet...
I had no luck at a couple of ATL places today, gf found some lightly used Prada shoes for $12 though.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo is thrifting! I wonder if the economy is going to tank. Maybe time to sell the shares
biggrin.gif

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally found some time to hit several spots. NWT cashmere but JAB, still for a few bucks.
Passed a Corneliani made DB Polo blazer (too small), Loro Piana BB blazer ( too big), NWOT Ferre tie (too ugly), a vintage (white tag) Hermes panda stripes tie (too stained, could not be sure if would be cleaned ), Corneliani tie (done for), Charvet tie (several snags), Alden Norwegian toe calfskin (beat up), Hanover calf bluchers (ugly with crep soles), Burberry blazer and suit (75 bucks each at GW!!!!), Lots of vintage BB sack Scs (too small and 25-30 bucks each at GW!!), Ferragamo kiltie tassels (as ugly as they get), couple of Zanella slacks (big, or holes), couble of BB OCBDs (wrong size), a Pink tie (no good reason).
Win some lose some. Will have a bit of time few weeks so back in the hunt.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^^Nice find on the Hermes. I came across one today, with some excitement, only to find the stain on it in different light. Thankfully that was before I bought it. Also left behind a Rubinacci for Louis Boston shirt that wasn't in quite good enough condition. And I came across something I was shocked to see, a Rag & Bone french cuff shirt. R&B just isn't common in these parts. They aren't kidding when they say they're slim fit!

I picked this up for myself, a suede Harrington from the legendarily overpriced Cable Car Clothiers of SF. It needs a cleaning and some button work (one missing, a couple loose). The coat was manufactured in that home of all things Anglophiliac: Korea. I paid $15 (half off of $30), which I think was a little high.

img3980w.jpg

img3982h.jpg

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
Spoo is thrifting! I wonder if the economy is going to tank. Maybe time to sell the shares
biggrin.gif

Nah, just going back to my roots! I forgot what fun it was to rummage through racks of Kaspar and Johnny Carson.
lol8[1].gif

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any major finds lately. Here are a couple of vintage shirts which will be appreciated by the trad crowd (both long sleeve) and a nice pair of AE Graysons. I also recently picked up a pair of Nettleton shortwings and an unknown brand pair of 7 1/2 D black spade soled shortwings.
z572.jpg
z573.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics