• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Thanks. I'm taking up the search that NOBD started in this thread here.

Feel free to give that thread a new kick start, Trini.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
David, is that from the current LL cloth subscription? The colors are lovely but I don't recall having seen it before. 3-patch for the win!

Yep. It's from the new batch that can be seen in the Current Cloth Catalogue forum. Glad you approve!

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Here's my most recent liability: London Lounge blue donegal herringbone 20oz tweed. Soft and spongy and toasty. Can't wait for next Fall!

IMG_1895-1.jpg

Nice one David. I am waiting for mine in the post. I am bit concern it's going to be to heavy for me.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tchoy
Nice one David. I am waiting for mine in the post. I am bit concern it's going to be to heavy for me.

Nice! It's definitely on the heavy side, but see what you think when it arrives. It is a bit porous thanks goodness. I may use an Ermazine lining on mine as I need to supply one of my tailors with linings anyway. Not sure if Ermazine would make tweed wear cooler, but perhaps worth a shot!

banis

Reaction score
Here's my most recent liability: London Lounge blue donegal herringbone 20oz tweed. Soft and spongy and toasty. Can't wait for next Fall!
This would be perfect for Russian climate. But I can't imagine myself wearing jacket in such a heavy fabric.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, I was tempted to bring it down to the tailor next week, but cooler heads will prevail. Thinking of making it up as a two patch with welt breast pocket and single sleeve button. It's very heavy so is certainly a cold weather only coat. It literally looks at least twice as big as any other liability I have so I likely would only be able to wear it once or twice before it goes into storage.

I'm also considering another blue jacket from London Lounge in the fabric below. Likely three patch for that, but possibly just welt and flap pockets. I was initially worried the two would be very similar, but it doesn't seem like that will be the case at all.

ll6e.jpg

That blue herringbone looks fantastic, David. Who will be making it up, and be sure to post pictures when finished.

As for this tweed check, I put my name on the list in any case.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! It's definitely on the heavy side, but see what you think when it arrives. It is a bit porous thanks goodness. I may use an Ermazine lining on mine as I need to supply one of my tailors with linings anyway. Not sure if Ermazine would make tweed wear cooler, but perhaps worth a shot!

Thanks David, I will think it through when I receive the cloth. Winter in Sydney just doesn't get cold enough and I am traveling less to Europe these days. Somehow I just love the feel and texture of tweed.
I should be looking for lighter weight tweeds.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
This would be perfect for Russian climate. But I can't imagine myself wearing jacket in such a heavy fabric.

Yeah, we'll see how it wears. I imagine it will work nicely for days outside in the 40's without an overcoat and layering on super frigid days in the 20's and below. Before I commit to any other super heavy fabrics, I'm curious to see how my body handles this. The blue is so nice it was tough to pass up.

Originally Posted by RogerC
That blue herringbone looks fantastic, David. Who will be making it up, and be sure to post pictures when finished.

As for this tweed check, I put my name on the list in any case.

Not sure yet who will make up the sky blue windowpane. It's unfortunate that Chan doesn't even accept LL fabrics as CMT. I wonder if they'll do them if they purchase them directly from Michael. Hmmm...worth a shot to ask. I wouldn't get it made up for quite some time though. Possibly winter of 2012/2013 as first I want to do the Donegal herringbone next year and getting two light - medium blue tweeds in one year seems a bit excessive. Of course, once I have both in hand we'll see what happens!

Originally Posted by tchoy
Thanks David, I will think it through when I receive the cloth. Winter in Sydney just doesn't get cold enough and I am traveling less to Europe these days. Somehow I just love the feel and texture of tweed.
I should be looking for lighter weight tweeds.

I agree that it's tough to beat a great tweed. The Breanish Shetlands are lighter in weight at around 10oz-11oz so perhaps those are worth looking into. I've only had mine for a year so I can't yet comment on its durability which some have questioned. t4phage is a big fan though.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question out to Ethan but does anyone know of a tweed that's similar to this Liverano? I love the browny-gray colour...
tumblr_lfz7ntvwXm1qad1ef

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ed uses something similar for Panta - worth shouting out to him.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's quite a standard-looking barleycorn weave. Look around for sites like this.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_1895-1.jpg

I would love to have a jacket with this pattern, but only in 9-12 oz. cloth, not 20 oz.(!). The cloth is beautiful!

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I would love to have a jacket with this pattern, but only in 9-12 oz. cloth, not 20 oz.(!). The cloth is beautiful!

I thought that this was a 14 oz Shetland, no?

Braised

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
I thought that this was a 14 oz Shetland, no?

Braised

I looked it up - the LLTW19 is a 21oz Shetland. Yikes, I was thinking of using it for a shirt jacket. Still it might be good. What are your thoughts?

B

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
I looked it up - the LLTW19 is a 21oz Shetland. Yikes, I was thinking of using it for a shirt jacket. Still it might be good. What are your thoughts?

B

As an unlined shirt jacket...it is fine.

As a regular lined jacket...I own another LL 21oz tweed and its substantial (heavy and keeps you warm when it gets into the 50s and below)

As an odd trouser...the 21oz tweed is awesome and does not feel as substantial as the jacket...it also helps that my trousers are not lined

I got 2.5 meters and gave it to Ambrosi to commission an odd trouser.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads