• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
I'm glad someone's enjoying their canvas. I've returned nearly everything. The sweaters were comically oversized, yet their shirts were frustratingly under-sized. There's no rhyme or reason to the fit of their clothes.

As far as the poplins, they are fun shirts but very tight across the chest. Never had such an issue with express.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pimpmystyle
I'm glad someone's enjoying their canvas. I've returned nearly everything. The sweaters were comically oversized, yet their shirts were frustratingly under-sized. There's no rhyme or reason to the fit of their clothes. As far as the poplins, they are fun shirts but very tight across the chest. Never had such an issue with express.
Read back a few pages - I had the same experience with all 3 of my orders.

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pimpmystyle
I'm glad someone's enjoying their canvas. I've returned nearly everything. The sweaters were comically oversized, yet their shirts were frustratingly under-sized. There's no rhyme or reason to the fit of their clothes.

As far as the poplins, they are fun shirts but very tight across the chest. Never had such an issue with express.

still not sure how one can view their shirts as under-sized, they are definitely not slim. I find them to be about as baggy as the sweaters, but the excess material doesn't look nearly as bad on a bd than a sweeter and can be easily altered. If you size down 1 on the shirts you could get a problem with the shoulders being too small, otherwise they are pretty typically sized.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Very odd - the small in the oxford fits me just like a small in most other brands ( express, banana, etc ).

The crewneck sweaters actually run very slim IMO. I had to move up to a medium rather than a small. (though the sleeves end up being too long).

What do most people do on sweaters w/ long sleeves? Just roll them up? Let them bunch up? Tailoring seems too expensive to be worth it for a cheap sweater.

highkneez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Very odd - the small in the oxford fits me just like a small in most other brands ( express, banana, etc ). The crewneck sweaters actually run very slim IMO. I had to move up to a medium rather than a small. (though the sleeves end up being too long). What do most people do on sweaters w/ long sleeves? Just roll them up? Let them bunch up? Tailoring seems too expensive to be worth it for a cheap sweater.
Tailoring a sweater? I would imagine alternations would mess up the shape. I ordered a sweater as well, should be arriving sometime today. Hopefully I don't encounter the same issue.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
What do most people do on sweaters w/ long sleeves? Just roll them up? Let them bunch up? Tailoring seems too expensive to be worth it for a cheap sweater.
Fold up the sleeves -- many sweater styles are made to be worn with the sleeves turned up. Check out this crazy men's sweater from Brooks Brothers and see how the sleeves are turned up at the cuff. Pretty typical for sweaters to come with over-long arms. The cord blazer came in the mail the other day, as well wrapped and packaged as something from BB, with a good hanger. It is quirky and not at all luxe (high quality cord can look princely) but on the whole the details are more positive than negative. I have a mannequin's 40R body and the M is a trim 40R with high armholes (good), narrow sleeves (good), and a fitted (to about a 33-34 -- drop 7) waist. Overall fit is more a Euro 50 than a regular American 40R. The quality of the cord is mediocre but that works here, and it is better than what they made up the garbage pants with. I have been looking at cord blazers for years, and I never bought one because no previous low-end examples was worth the closet space. This one is weirdly charming and should have some use. The working sleeve buttons strike me as hilarious. The interior pockets are nutty -- high and small and patch -- and the 3 roll 2 is a nice touch, as are the 3x patch pockets on the exterior. Someone had a good time making this, I guess. The price was outrageously good -- under $30.

highkneez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Fold up the sleeves -- many sweater styles are made to be worn with the sleeves turned up. Check out this crazy men's sweater from Brooks Brothers and see how the sleeves are turned up at the cuff. Pretty typical for sweaters to come with over-long arms.
I believe the cuffs on that BB sweater are meant to be folded as it's designed to be longer. I may be wrong, so don't shoot me.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I have a mannequin's 40R body and the M is a trim 40R with high armholes (good), narrow sleeves (good), and a fitted (to about a 33-34 -- drop 7) waist. Overall fit is more a Euro 50 than a regular American 40R. The quality of the cord is mediocre but that works here, and it is better than what they made up the garbage pants

I chatted with them and got actual measurements for the chino blazer and they said 39" chest and 17" shoulders for 38, 41" and 17.5" for 40. Those are slim (which is good) and did not expect that from Lands End.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my overdyed oxfords in Dark Chocolate, Arctic Gray and Royal Burgundy.
If you didn't buy these at $10 each, you truly missed out.
They fit perfect, are well constructed, and the colors look nice.
One of my best purchases so far this year, at such a steal of a price.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
still not sure how one can view their shirts as under-sized, they are definitely not slim. I find them to be about as baggy as the sweaters, but the excess material doesn't look nearly as bad on a bd than a sweeter and can be easily altered. If you size down 1 on the shirts you could get a problem with the shoulders being too small, otherwise they are pretty typically sized.

I am talking about the heritage patterned poplins. I don't know how their other shirt styles fit.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit seems kind of inconsistent but for $10 the overdye oxfords are a great deal. Arms looked a little big and body was a little tent-y. I like the fit on my poplin a lot better... But for the prices they are going at, it's really a great deal. The sleeves are big so I just make it a designated roll up sleeve shirt.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
damn all the smalls fits so good on me at 5'10/150lbs

been wearing the shaker shawl collar cardigan 3day straight, so comfy and warm enough for so cal

and the only overdye oxford/dye oxford from LEC worth buying was the one in purple/plum

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a whole slew of stuff during the sale. Figured I'd see what worked, what didn't.

1. Marled blazer: wow, this really looks much better on line. In person, not so nice. Disappointed.

2. Cord Blazer: Undersized. Sleeves to short ( I am a 35" sleeve). Nice brown color though.

3. Marled Cargo Pants: see #1

4. Fair Isle Sweater: very soft. great pattern. a bit larger than i had expected but I will keep.

5. Straight Fit Khakis: for $10.39, can u possibly go wrong???

6. Heritage Striped Tees: weird fitting. very unflattering on me. $6 onlym but didnt like enough to keep.

7. Poplin plaid shirt: for $7 it works. The patterns that were left aren't the best, but it does the job for casual.

This is the first time I've really experienced the differences in sizing.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Just got all of my orders in today.

Here are some notes on sizing if anyone is interested.

I'm 5'9, 150lbs. Pretty narrow shoulders (17"), and around a 37" chest.
I typically wear a 32/30 in pants and a 38 in suit jackets. (Though I'd say I'm somewhere in between 36 and 38).

Poplin Oxfords - Smalls fit perfectly. A bargain for $10.

Crewneck sweaters - Run very short and somewhat slim. If you are shorter, you could get away with a small. I needed a medium because it just kept pulling up on me.

Heritage Straight Fit Chinos - Seem to fit comparable to most pants at 32x30.

Rugged Mesh Polos - Smalls ran -very- small IMO. I could barely get one on me. Very tight in the chest. I would go with a medium if you are about my size.

Shaker shawl cardigan - Small fit me very well I thought - similar to the picture on the website.

Canvas sneakers - I typically wear a 9 in dress shoes and a 10 to 10.5 in sneakers. These run a bit smaller than chuck taylors (I'd guess around a half size).

Here are some sneakers I've tried on and how this compares:
Puma in 10's - fit VERY similar to these in 10's
Chucks in 10's - chucks feel bigger by about 1/2 a size

Hope that helps someone!

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
I live near a Sears with an LEC and have tried on all of these. Some I bought during the blowout sale.

It's a very hit or miss line. Some pieces feel like a lot of attention went into their design and are solidly constructed. Other pieces feel like they belong with Sears' house brand.

None are really worth retail. But here are some to consider and others to avoid with the sale still on.

Best

1. Shawl sweater coat
lands-end-canvas-outerwear-mens-shawl-sweater-coat.jpg

Arguably the best piece from LEC imho. Very comfortable, very warm, nice details, great pockets. Solid construction. As with all LEC sweaters, size down one and it should fit well.

2. Shaker shawl cardigan
lands-end-canvas-cardigans-zips-mens-shaker-shawl-cardigan.jpg

Just a solid, heavyweight sweater with more details (great buttons, cuffs, pockets) than most chunky cardigans.

3. Chambray shirt
lands-end-canvas-shirts-the-heritage-chambray-workshirt.jpg

Well constructed and detailed shirt. Feels like it will last awhile. Beacoup colors and patterns.

Good pieces

1. Heritage poplin - gingham
LEC_poplin-shirt.jpg

Great patterns and an excellent fit. But the material and construction are weak. The shirts wrinkle and fade fast. They are excellent under sweaters and other layering, especially the gingham, when wrinkling and fading are not as noticeable.

2. Heritage check poplin
lands

Some peeps have complained about the fit, but other than being long it's fine on me. Good colors and pattern. Better constructed than the heritage poplin above.

3. Ribbed visor hat - a good, no frills winter hat.

4. Mens board shorts - An inch too long, but solid beachwear.

Avoid.

1 Heritage rib shawl cardigan
cambridge-silversmiths-lands-end-canvas-cardigans-zips-mens-cambridge-rib-shawl-cardigan.jpg

A heavyweight sweater that feels like it will pill easily. Material is more suited for a sweatshirt. Stick with shaker shawl.

2. Most outerwear - Feels cheap. Awkward fits. Not much effort went into these. The Harrington Jacket looks like it would fade after one wash.

3. Jeans - Terrible washes. Flimsy material

4. Cords - Baggy, flimsy.

5. Anything in relaxed fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics