• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBTX66

Reaction score
+1 on Gixen. I snipe because in my experience guys who bid their highest up front only drive up the end price. That drives me nuts, unless of course it's one of my listings.
devil.gif

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I picked up a belt today for a couple of bucks. It is my size, so I don't care of the outcome either way, but it is a Ralph Lauren Polo belt that appears to be alligator/crocodile. Alternatively, it could be some sort of embossed leather I guess. I'm trying to do some research on it now.

In addition to the belt I grabbed a Herringbone Harris Tweed sport coat with Suede elbow patches for when I feel like dressing as an old man. The LL Bean lambswool cardigan with leather buttons I also picked up will complete the look.

Overall, it was an OK day for about 12 bucks.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question

I purchased items from a SFer. It was delivered on Monday per usps tracking. However, I don't have it and the mail room said they don't have it either. The sender said he has a screen shot of the address so I'm wondering what went wrong as I've never had a problem before with packages.

Thoughts? What should I require him to do? What should I do?

Cheers

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sort of interesting day, by "normal-thrifter" standards: OLD Zegna dress shirt, my size (two lines with circle-z & ermenegildo zegna in the middle label). I don't think the oldest Zegna item I've seen but it's got to be dang close. I'll still wear it, though... it's evicting a Roundtree & Yorke!
smile.gif
Recent Canali dress shirt - pink buttondown size 42 - @#%@# be a 44-45 dangit! Recent Zegna 100% linen, size L - was hoping it might fit-ish but it's a smallish L
frown.gif
Old Canali tie Old Zegna wool/cashmere DB suit - ventless
frown.gif
but it fits me so I'll take it! Recent Hickey-Freeman sweater, 75% silk 25% cotton - my size, <3 despite Made in China! One question: Passed on a Ralph Lauren Collection (purple label) women's jacket, single-button. Wasn't sure what the heck to do with that so I put it on hold and thought I'd ask here if anyone's had any luck flipping that kind of thing? I've never really had any interest/knowledge to look at women's stuff, though I do look at the coats/sweaters semi-routinely and the pants for mates - but only for men's stuff that's misfiled, never found anything in WOMENS that I knew to grab, at least beyond some cashmere sweaters as gifts and some Torrid stuff for my wife. EDIT: I see from Ebay that leaving the jacket was wise - but the question stands: anyone have any tips on WOMEN'S stuff?

eafiii

Reaction score
Last Friday, I picked up a pair of original Dunham's 7531 Tyroleans from 1968. They started becoming popular on college campuses and became all the rage in the 70's. They were called "Waffle Stompers", "Hippie Slippers", "Grannie Boots" and "Shirt Kickers" (minus the "r" in shirt).

Iconic 60's fashion.....$3.50

P1030207.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I've never had any luck selling women's stuff. Even uber high end stuff. The only women's stuff I pick up now is stuff for my wife, half of which ends up being re-donated or given away because she says they're "ugly"
baldy[1].gif

I hear ya. I have a Made in Italy Burberry wool coat I'm going to try to sell on ebay because she didn't like it. I also have a Loro Piana shirt that didn't fit her that's headed to ebay. Ah well.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Speaking of Burberry, I found a gorgeous black quilted recent Burberry jacket for her a few years ago. She wore it a few times but always saidt it didn't fit right. I eventually cleaned out the coat closet and tossed it on eBay. It was was the only women's item I had luck selling. I think it went for $150.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eafiii
Last Friday, I picked up a pair of original Dunham's 7531 Tyroleans from 1968. They started becoming popular on college campuses and became all the rage in the 70's. They were called "Waffle Stompers", "Hippie Slippers", "Grannie Boots" and "Shirt Kickers" (minus the "r" in shirt).

Iconic 60's fashion.....$3.50

P1030207.jpg

jesus those look like two loaves of bread

Temujin

Reaction score
A couple recent finds:

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Question

I purchased items from a SFer. It was delivered on Monday per usps tracking. However, I don't have it and the mail room said they don't have it either. The sender said he has a screen shot of the address so I'm wondering what went wrong as I've never had a problem before with packages.

Thoughts? What should I require him to do? What should I do?

Cheers

IMO it's no longer the seller's responsibility if he can prove he sent it to the right address and USPS shows it delivered. Sounds like a problem either with the USPS delivering it to the wrong place or your mailroom misplacing it. Either way, it might show up soon.

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Haven't been out much this month since I've been moving, but did snag a nice looking pair of AE wingtips that are a little snug but fit earlier this week.

eafiii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
jesus those look like two loaves of bread

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Yeah, I guess they do look like two loaves of bread. Considering that they were all the rage on campus in '68, I guess you could say they've been "baked" a few times.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads