• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other Edmontonians here?

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep the food recommendations coming, I'm trying to get into sampling local eateries as opposed to playing it safe at the 'brand name' restaurants.

Also, I figured I was the only dude wearing green who posted here (you know who you are, a couple posts up).

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by someotherstyle
BTW, when you go for coffee, and I mean real high quality Italian espresso/macchiato etc. try De Capo. If you flip through the blog, you'll see more than a few shots there lol.
When I was looking through your blog a couple months back I instantly recognized Da Capo. Have you ever been to Transcend? They take their coffee seriously. They have monthly coffee tastings that are actually really informative if you're into that sort of thing.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
Keep the food recommendations coming, I'm trying to get into sampling local eateries as opposed to playing it safe at the 'brand name' restaurants.

Also, I figured I was the only dude wearing green who posted here (you know who you are, a couple posts up).

My favourites: Next Act Pub, Sugarbowl, and O'Byrns Irish Pub.

My experience is limited to around the University. I find it ridiculous how the chain's have taken over in this country. There is so many amazing restaurants for every price point, but for some reason people don't like to think .. so they choose the safe route.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
When I was looking through your blog a couple months back I instantly recognized Da Capo. Have you ever been to Transcend? They take their coffee seriously. They have monthly coffee tastings that are actually really informative if you're into that sort of thing.

Originally Posted by imschatz
My favourites: Next Act Pub, Sugarbowl, and O'Byrns Irish Pub.

My experience is limited to around the University. I find it ridiculous how the chain's have taken over in this country. There is so many amazing restaurants for every price point, but for some reason people don't like to think .. so they choose the safe route.

I'm lucky I live 5 minutes walk from Transcend and 10 minutes from Da Capo and Sugarbowl! Absolutely spectacular places. I know it's not real cappucino, but I do love Sugarbowl's offering just for their wonderful foamed milk.

Manor Cafe is decently good(I think they are now called the Manor Bistro or something).

Lazia is good for a decent brunch or snack when shopping downtown.

New York Bagel Cafe is brill for their eggs benedicts.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mrs. Notreknip is a total "foodie" so I'll be sure to get her thoughts later, but in the meantime here are a few of our favorites that haven't been mentioned already. (I don't really dig Thai or Asian.)

Picco Lino (Italian) ...I can also live with Il Pasticcio or Sicilian Pasta Kitchen
Famoso (Pizza)
Dadeo (Cajun/Creole/Fries)
Zinc (Drinks/Apps)
Vi's for Pies (Dessert)
Delux or Rodeo (Burgers)
Batistas Calzone (Calzone)
Route 99 (Classic Diner Guilty Pleasure Takeout)

I really need to try L2.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
Mrs. Notreknip is a total "foodie" so I'll be sure to get her thoughts later, but in the meantime here are a few of our favorites that haven't been mentioned already. (I don't really dig Thai or Asian.)

Picco Lino (Italian) ...I can also live with Il Pasticcio or Sicilian Pasta Kitchen
Famoso (Pizza)
Dadeo (Cajun/Creole/Fries)
Zinc (Drinks/Apps)
Vi's for Pies (Dessert)
Delux or Rodeo (Burgers)
Batistas Calzone (Calzone)
Route 99 (Classic Diner Guilty Pleasure Takeout)

I really need to try L2.

Zinc looks pretty ****ing awesome.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
I don't care for Transcend - the roasts tend to be on the sweeter side, although it varies from month to month a they buy a limited number of beans etc... good concept but not my style.

You may want to try Corso 32, wild tangerine, red ox inn, hardware grill, rigoletto's (wayy better than picco lino imo), and my fav restaurant in the city, allegro (west end).

there's lots of other places i enjoy, especially lunch joints, but this is among the top in my mind anyways

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for...what could best be called a 'suit supply store' in Edmonton. I\\m basically looking for some of those plastic zip suit bags and the plastic clips you can use to keep your pants from falling off the hanger. Basically, suit maintenance stuff for storing some stuff that I wear like once a year. I don't really feel like ordering **** online right now (unless you've got a good source).

Any ideas?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
I'm looking for...what could best be called a 'suit supply store' in Edmonton. I\\m basically looking for some of those plastic zip suit bags and the plastic clips you can use to keep your pants from falling off the hanger. Basically, suit maintenance stuff for storing some stuff that I wear like once a year. I don't really feel like ordering **** online right now (unless you've got a good source).

Any ideas?

Ikea? That's where I've got my cheapo suit bags.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
You shouldn't store suits in a plastic bag - the plastic won't let the fabric breathe, not a good idea for a long period of time.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay folks help me out. I'm going on a first date this weekend. Where do we go for dinner? I dont want it to be an overly romantic, formal or long meal but it has to be good, and in an area we can easily do something after.

Dacapo might work since it wouldn't be a long meal. Dadeo's isn't good enough. Does Zinc fit the bill? I haven't been before but it looks cool.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Okay folks help me out. I'm going on a first date this weekend. Where do we go for dinner? I dont want it to be an overly romantic, formal or long meal but it has to be good, and in an area we can easily do something after.

Dacapo might work since it wouldn't be a long meal. Dadeo's isn't good enough. Does Zinc fit the bill? I haven't been before but it looks cool.

I might be crazy, but I wasn't overly impressed by Da Capo's food.

I haven't been, but Zinc looks amazing. My girlfriend is super excited about going. You can order food "by the bite" (probably ****ing expensive bites), but trying food is always a great time. Gives you something to talk about other then the traditional first date stuff.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
Haven't been to Zinc, but i heard the food is alright, with the atmosphere being unreal. Corso 32 is the hottest restaurant in Edmonton right now - I'd go there. Or Wild Tangerine- funky, semi-casual, right downtown so you're able to do lots afterwards, plus the food is rocking and there's lots of excellent beverages
lol8[1].gif
One more thing..... WE WANT PICS!
thumbs-up.gif

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
I might be crazy, but I wasn't overly impressed by Da Capo's food. I haven't been, but Zinc looks amazing. My girlfriend is super excited about going. You can order food "by the bite" (probably ****ing expensive bites), but trying food is always a great time. Gives you something to talk about other then the traditional first date stuff.
Yeah, it's not amazing food but it's still a cool place to hang out and it's in a good location.
Originally Posted by someotherstyle
Haven't been to Zinc, but i heard the food is alright, with the atmosphere being unreal. Corso 32 is the hottest restaurant in Edmonton right now - I'd go there. Or Wild Tangerine- funky, semi-casual, right downtown so you're able to do lots afterwards, plus the food is rocking and there's lots of excellent beverages
lol8[1].gif
One more thing..... WE WANT PICS!
thumbs-up.gif

Yeah, I've heard good things about Corso 32. The Chef is from Red Star, which I've always been a fan of, so I'm not surprised it's getting good reviews. Zinc's last seating is at 2 pm on Sunday so that's not going to work and Wild Tangerine is booked. I'm going to try and book Corso but I doubt we'll get a table. I've made a back up reservation at Red Ox just in case I can't think of anything else. No pics but to give you some perspective, she's almost as good looking as me.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads