• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo?

fpr4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chakmak
I'm curious why you want to trade for what seems like a lesser boot. Do you not like the RW's?

The Katahdin's have been pretty popular on here...

SJTrance

Reaction score
So, I've had a chance to apply some Obenauf LP to my redwings and they look gorgeous... to me at least. I feel that this is the color they should have been from the get-go. I applied it by hand and then used a hair dryer on heat with low fan speed afterwards. I wonder if I should put these in the oven for a bit too. I'm also wondering if I'm able to wear them right away. It's very cold out and I'm heading over to my family for Christmas dinner. Anyhow, here are the pics and happy holidays, everyone.

Before any application
IMG_8676.jpg

After one coat
IMG_8675.jpg

After two coats
IMG_8683.jpg

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Looks good. Makes me want to pull the trigger on one, but I told myself I would only get 1 item to add to my wardrobe a month.
frown.gif

xackexxo

Reaction score
Unbelievable shoes. I own a pair and they're about my favorite purchase of the past 6 months. I have the amber color posted above and I'm trying to find the black ones in a 7.5. Got them for a decent deal at $240 too.

akmateo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SJTrance
So, I've had a chance to apply some Obenauf LP to my redwings and they look gorgeous... to me at least. I feel that this is the color they should have been from the get-go. I applied it by hand and then used a hair dryer on heat with low fan speed afterwards. I wonder if I should put these in the oven for a bit too. I'm also wondering if I'm able to wear them right away. It's very cold out and I'm heading over to my family for Christmas dinner. Anyhow, here are the pics and happy holidays, everyone.

Before any application
IMG_8676.jpg

After one coat
IMG_8675.jpg

After two coats
IMG_8683.jpg

What size are yours? Could you please post a few pics of them laced up on your feet? Thanks.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are these the Amber? Do you still get colour variation where the leather stretches and moves or does the LP completely mask that?

SJTrance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by akmateo
What size are yours? Could you please post a few pics of them laced up on your feet? Thanks.

These are 9.5 US. I wear size 10 in converse chucks. Here's a pic of when I first got them. If you want a pic of them as they are now, I can take it. Let me know. They were kind of uncomfortable for some time because the leather was so tough. After treating them recently, they because much more comfortable to wear.

shoe3.jpg

shoe2.jpg

Originally Posted by ManofKent
Are these the Amber? Do you still get colour variation where the leather stretches and moves or does the LP completely mask that?

These are the dark brown color. The amber ones are much lighter in color.

akmateo

Reaction score
These are 9.5 US. I wear size 10 in converse chucks. Here's a pic of when I first got them. If you want a pic of them as they are now, I can take it. Let me know. They were kind of uncomfortable for some time because the leather was so tough. After treating them recently, they because much more comfortable to wear.

shoe3.jpg

shoe2.jpg

These are the dark brown color. The amber ones are much lighter in color.

If you could post a few closer up with the tops of the boots exposed so I can see how tight or loose they are laced up, I would appreciate it. I normally wear a 10d in just about everything I wear, and am debating between ordering a 9d or 9.5d. I plan to insert insoles, so that could be the difference.

halisray

Reaction score
here are mine, they are braving the winter! I slapped on a coat of Sno Seal in November and they look to be holding up really well, great pair of boots.
photoqzz.jpg

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by halisray
here are mine, they are braving the winter! I slapped on a coat of Sno Seal in November and they look to be holding up really well, great pair of boots.

photoqzz.jpg

What color are these? Amber or Russet?

Kacey

Reaction score
Just got a pair and considering the soles are smooth- not bad on ice and compacted snow but still not ideal. Solid, comfortable boots though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics