• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

The Trendsetter

Reaction score
How did you specifically learn all about 'fashion/style'? I'm young and ignorant, but I want to learn!

svd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_state
I need a solid tailor in NYC to essentially re-make some items in my wardrobe. Suits that don't quite fit right. Chinos that seriously need to be tapered. Reapplying buttons so that they won't fall off after 6 months. Who would you trust for these types of jobs? Money isn't much of an issue, unless the prices are total ****. Ideally I'd like to find a real tailor, not a half dry-cleaner half tailor situation. I live in Brooklyn and work in SoHo, so anything below 14th St would be awesome.

Thanks!

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=11723

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Welcome to the club, pal. Trousers are supposed to be a bit higher in the back, more so if you are wearing braces. This excess fabric that you are getting that piles up in the back of your legs is because you have more forward positioned hips. Not funny shaped at all. Most ready to wear trousers are pretty much cut straight up and down, so if you aren't, it rumples in the back. This can be fixed by a tailor drawing some of the excess material in the back up into the waistband so that when you are wearing them at a comfortable hight they don't pile up as much. Think of it as "lowering the waistband" in the back. Be thankful you aren't me, who has this problem as well as knocked-knees. Good luck.

Cool, thanks for the help! Seems like it probably isn't too tricky of an alteration.

i guess i'll also keep an eye out for trousers with a lower back rise.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a sweet Charvet tie at a local thrift store and am wondering how to ascertain, other than looking at it, what kind of shape I should say it is in if I end up reselling it.... Thoughts? Here's the tie in question.
1000000149.JPG
1000000150.JPG

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Bump of the pattern question. Tried it in my house, but I felt it looked a bit off. From a distance it might look ok as the GP looks grey, but up close...
It's hard to tell without a photo of the items in question. You probably won't find a whole lot of support in MC for glen plaid odd trousers since it's a suiting pattern.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Trendsetter
Apc's or 3sixteens for men with bigger legs and butts? Specifics?

No personal experience, but a good friend of mine has got thighs and a bubble butt and after trying on many jeans he settled on 3sixteen. Just sayin.

yesssir

Reaction score
Are the shoes in the grenson rushden collection generally made of corrected grain or calf leather?

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Are J&M's that were made in American likely to be of the older - higher quality, or did the quality decline prior to moving production overseas?

FourFemur

Reaction score
Who would make a like . . a womens shear white scarf with patterns & possibly studs of some sort (not necessairily metal) on it? really girly lookin, Or something like that? trying to think of the type of brand(s) that might make somethin like that and coming up short. hope taht makes sense

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
Are J&M's that were made in American likely to be of the older - higher quality, or did the quality decline prior to moving production overseas?

Very likely to be of higher quality.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Very likely to be of higher quality.

Agreed. Their factory is/was here in town, and my grandfather-in-law bought a whole bunch of them on clearance at some point, and they appear to be very good shoes. He actually bought like three pairs of double monks that are really quite nice. Too bad he has big feet.

giraffe lookout

Reaction score
I'm in the market for an overcoat. I've been looking on b&s and a little bit on ebay so I'm not actually trying these on. My question is, how much larger should I go on the shoulder sizing to accommodate a jacket below. So my favorite jacket measures 18 inches across the shoulders, should I look for an overcoat at 20 inches?

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
I just bought a SC from a charity shop. It fits pretty great (the sleeves need lengthening a tad but there's matierial to do that.) but the lapels are a little wide for my taste.

How easy is it to narrow lapels, and how much should I expect to pay for it? Oh, the jacket is tweed if it makes any difference and has a PoW check.

Thanks in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics