• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice re: Hiking boots w/strange leather (PICS)

eafiii

Reaction score
I came across some very vintage looking Tyrolean hiking boots that I would like to wear, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to properly care for the leather. Can anyone tell by looking at leather if it is shell horse hide?

These boots seem to be late fifties or sixties vintage. The leather uppers including the tongue are cut from the same piece of hide. The outside leather is HARD. I can make a "knocking" sound on it with my knuckle. I put mink oil on them like I do withmy other boots, but the leather doesn't seem to accept it! The craftsmanship leads me to believe they didn't use cheap leather, but I'm having trouble putting a shine on them

If anyone with more experience with boot care can help me A) Learn how to identify the leather, B) Tell me how to condition it and C) How to make them look their best, I would be very thankful.

P1030210.jpg

P1030208.jpg

P1030209.jpg

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Do not think they are as old as that. Probably late 70's to mid 80's based on the styling.

For a boot like that the best treatment would be a beeswax product such as snoseal. Heat the leather gently with a hair dryer and rub the wax into the leather. It is meant to be stiff and stay stiff, and softening products such as mink oil are probably not such a good idea.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They're definitely not shell cordovan. They're probably just very dry.

I'd use a lot of conditioner/moisturizer.

eafiii

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

My high school daughter did a little research and found they are from the late sixties.

Dunham's Tyroleans have been around for ages in many styles. In the mid to late sixties, the hiking boot models became very popular on college campuses.

In order to capture more market they started making a lot more of them under the model name "Continental" Tyroleans. The "Continental Tyroleans" seem to have been constructed for the college market as they usually had suede uppers, padded ankle collars and steel rather than brass lace hooks

These models are model #7531 and predate the "Continental Tyroleans" That became known as the "Waffle Stomper".

I found an ad in a Salt Lake City paper from 1968 that most closely resembles this model.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...yroleans&hl=en

Sweeeeeet. Now I'm going to hum Buffalo Springfield tunes whenever I wear them.

"Think its time to Stop, Hey, What's that sound? Everbody look what's going down."

P1030207.jpg

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they would look cooler if you just wore them, and didn't worry about making them look all shiny and new. Let them develop a patina, and just go from there.

michael_legeek

Reaction score
I have a pair of Swiss boots from the 80's in a pretty similar-looking (and -sounding, when knocked) leather. I'm very fond of them. For me, care has consisted of a good rubbing with neatsfoot oil when I hadn't worn them in a long time, just to ensure they hadn't dried out, and a quick brushing and a wipe with Renapur when I want to smarten them up just a little bit.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eafiii
I'm having trouble putting a shine on them

If anyone with more experience with boot care can help me C) How to make them look their best, I would be very thankful.

they're not meant to be shined.

use saddle soap and then any kind of leather grease e.g. huberds or snoseal product.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I think they would look cooler if you just wore them, and didn't worry about making them look all shiny and new. Let them develop a patina, and just go from there.

If the leather is dried out, then that could lead to the leather cracking and the boots being ruined. They're not something that needs to be shined, but they sure as hell should be conditioned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads