• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just don't see Miami going that far. It still looks like a 3-man team, they got exposed when Lebron got hurt by losing practically all games w/o him. I mean even when all 3 are healthy, I am still not certain they can beat the top dogs in the East, I don't remember their record but iirc the Clippers has a better record of beating teams that are on top.

Same with the Magic, they have been good but when their shots doesn't fall, they just flat out lose even to weaker teams. They still live and die by the 3 and that just isn't consistent enough to me for them to take the East.

Outside of the Celtics, CHicago is probably the biggest threat. Rose is an early MVP right now, he is just beasting on everyone and willing his team to win w/o Boozer and Noah.

Hawks have slowed down, their slowly winning but they just aren't there. NY is a surprise, they were on a roll there for a second but have been losing too. Either Amare lost his mojo again or this Melo trade talks are affecting the team. Either way, it's not good. Philly isn't impressive at all and with the Bobcats new coach, they might just take that 8th spot.

In the West, Spurs is a threat but even Popovich said they are not the best team in the league, they just have the best record and most will agree.

Mavs has been losing, even with Nowitzki back. Butler is out for the season and Kidd isn't playing the way he was when they were winning.

OKC is very dangerous but very young. Their a real threat to the Lakers but I think the Lakers still got the size advantage with Bynum playing well (and healthy) and Odom playing like an All-Star. They'll still be right there in the mix of things and they are probably the most unpredictable team right now.

Hornets are playing real good right now too but they aren't very deep. I'm curious to see how far they can go with the rookie coach, they'll be right there in the 3rd to 4th spot.

Utahs been struggling, lost 6 in a row now. Portlands injury prone, even Aldridge is hurt right now so they are practically drained of their starters. And Denver is practically out of the picture once Melo leaves. Not sure how consistent Memphis is, it looks like a good team on paper but they just aren't meshing as well, I think Randolph needs to stop getting the ball too much.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I'll admit I probably don't watch as much basketball as the rest of you guys. But I'd also be willing to bet I have more obligations.

Doesn't mean I don't know as much basketball as you do. Or that your belief that the Spurs WON'T go anywhere, but the Lakers will (for the 3rd season in a row- despite everyone else having improved more than Steve Blake and Matt what's his name).

Ah- but I digress...Why don't you take up a collection? With all the Laker fans in here it'd only cost you $5.00 each...For a SURE thing, right?

tumblr_l9tmu4ZKta1qd8czlo1_400.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Dude, you're the only one saying that the Laker won't 3peat. None of us has said the Spurs won't go anywhere until you started opening your mouth and practically gave them the chip just because they have the best record. You could care less before this season how the Spurs did, you were quiet the last 2 years because they haven't done ****. If you look back at all the NBA threads here, I actually had Spurs pegged to be a contender when they got Jefferson, I was wrong then. I never hated the Spurs, I don't even really hate Boston, I just hate KG and Pierce and Rondo, but I can honestly say Rondo is one of the best PG and that chip they won thanks to KG was well deserved.

You can also see I am always positive about the Clips at the beginning of the season and they rarely win, I wasn't bandwagoning just because of Griffin this year. That's a fan, not someone who all of a sudden denies everyone of their championship because his team has the best record. They have to prove it first.

Were Lakers fans, their the defending champs and won it 2 times in a row so we predict a 3peat. But you, you can't accept it because of your hatred for Kobe. I'm a basketball fan, I can separate the personal stuff to their skill. I hate Lebron and his stupid antics but I can say he is the best in the game right now hands down. You, you can't see past your hatred just because Kobe "supposedly" broke up the team? Come on, Shaq is a dumbass and it's a 2 way street. I am sure Shaq did the something to break it all up too, it's not just Kobe. But who really knows?

Back to the Spurs, no one here is saying the Spurs will go no where, if you read my posts, I always said they haven't done *********** past 3 years. I've said numerous times how impressed I am by their Euro style of play but again, your hatred for the Lakers (or Lakers fans) and Kobe makes you read past that and probably read past through this reply as well.

And then you predict the Lakers has fallen off? Why? Because their 3rd in the league? That makes no sense, again, pure hate and nothing else. Kobe has fallen off? He isn't scoring as much, ok, but he leads the team in assist. Yeah it's only 5ast/gm but that still means dude actually facilitates. See, you talk and read these ranking but know nothing. I understand not being able to pay attention as much as most of us do but if you don't know anything, don't say anything. Simple as that. Why can't you just say "go Spurs go" and be done with it? I understand a few jabs here and there when each team loses but to start blurting out stupid stuff like "Manu is playing better than Kobe, look at the stats" or "the Lakers won't win a 3peat because their not in first place" then it just becomes ridiculously dumb.

You're not listening to me. I don't like Kobe. I do like Odom and Pau. Even Bynum if he played more. YOU guys started with the 3peat and I responded in kind. I have a couple other friends who are big Laker fans and agree with me, that the Lakers have fallen off a bit this year. I bet you didn't read the article from Jerry West I posted re Laker defense and how he felt it wasn't good enough to win this year. I think it's safe to say Jerry West knows more about basketball that any other poaster in this thread.

Originally Posted by jet
Did Kobe **** lil stevie's ass?

I find your monosyllabic posts amusing. Did you finish high school?

While that is true, I still feel that it won't really have much effect if the Lakers makes the finals. Keep in mind that the Celtics, the favorite out of the East, has also been there for the past 3 years with the Lakers. 2 yrs ago, even though they didn't make the finals, they had a long strenuous playoff run like the Chicago series that lasted 7 games. In addition, Celtics have been more banged up this season with Garnette & Rondo, plus Perkins barely returning and both O'neals being hurt. So really, I think it's a wash to those two. Keep in mind that Kobe also had a lot of rest this off-season, same with Pau. The Lakers seems to be taking it easy right now in the regular season and they can afford to as long as they stay close to the top.

I love the explanation that "the Lakers are just taking it easy right now". Another explanation COULD, ACTUALLY be that they're just not as good this year.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa

What's the matter? Don't have the 5.00?

BTW- if you remember correctly,

I'm also a big Dirk/Mark Cuban non-fan. More because Spurs play them more.

and also a big

PP/KG/Celtics non-fan.

The Queen gets to me too.

I'm just a vocal pro-Spurs, anti Kobe guy, which bucks the trend in this thread. Then you all hate on me for exercising my 1st amendment rights.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Then you all hate on me for exercising my 1st amendment rights.

And then you bust out with the 1st amendment defense?
I'm done arguing with you.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's funny is that although i'm a big laker fan, the spurs are probably my second favorite team. love the way they play ball. and right now, they're playing better ball more consistently than the lakers are. does that mean they're a better team? We'll see this spring.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always liked Duncan. If I wasn't from LA I'd root for the Spurs. I've always hated Tony Parker though... just something about that twat.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can steve b, jet and rx please stfu? Kobe is better than Manu this and every year.
The spurs are pretty damn good and could win it all.
The lakers are the (2x) defending champs and thus the team to beat and have a good chance at a three peat.
mmmmk?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
love the way manu plays, but comparing him to kobe is just kind of silly. he reminds me of a john havlicek type ... maybe a little limited talent-wise but all kinds of heart.

sexandcandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Can steve b, jet and rx please stfu? Kobe is better than Manu this and every year.
The spurs are pretty damn good and could win it all.
The lakers are the (2x) defending champs and thus the team to beat and have a good chance at a three peat.
mmmmk?

THIS.

Also LOL @ Jerry West as the be-all end-all of Laker 3peat discussions. He also said that LeBron was better than Kobe, then Kobe exploded in the playoffs and took his team to the finals 2 years in a row while LeBron watched from home. Jerry West obviously knows what he's talking about.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SG Starters East Rose Wade Lebron Stoudemire Howard West Paul Bryant Durant Anthony Yao

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crazy azns.

ASG Starters

East

Rose
Wade
Lebron
Stoudemire
Howard

West

Paul
Bryant
Durant
Anthony
Yao

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
And then you bust out with the 1st amendment defense?
I'm done arguing with you.

Then you concede?

I KNOW you could raise $5.00 at the Sperm bank. They pay extra for Down's syndrome.

Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I've always liked Duncan. If I wasn't from LA I'd root for the Spurs. I've always hated Tony Parker though... just something about that twat.

+1. Although he has added more assists and the 3 ball over the last 2 seasons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads