• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxfords, Shoes, and Jeans help needed!

The Trendsetter

Reaction score
Okay, so I have been lurking around the forums for about a week now trying to learn. I read/skimmed over the Esquire Handbook of Style. I've came to the conclusion that the first items I should buy in order to being creating a wardrobe are: 1. Oxford Button Down Shirts. - My question for this is what kind? I am a college student so my budget is not huge. What Oxford button up shirts do you recommend that are cheap. What colors are essential to a stylish wardrobe? 2. A nice pair of shoes. - I am going to be buying a pair of shoes, probably this weekend, and I'm not sure what to buy. I want to be different, I want to wear something other than the jordan's and regular white nike shoes. That is all that anyone wears in my area. I need something universal, that I can wear with a lot of different options. I'm looking to spend less than 100 dollars. I was thinking about Sperry's. I really have no clue. Remember I'm in college too. So, I don't want to look extremely out of place, but I want to stand out. If that makes sense at all? Eh. 3. Spring/ Summer Clothes - I just need ideas of what to buy that will look good in the summer/spring. I have no clothes for the spring and it's coming soon. I need T-Shirts, really everything. Cheap though. 4. Jeans - I need nice jeans. Raw denim is apparently the best? I don't know. Remember Im still learning. I am thinking of Levi 501's. I need them to be cheap and nice. I wear size 36. I weigh 195-205 ish. I wear size large. I have some flab but I'm going to start running when it get's a little warmer out. Here is a picture of my body type. Bad picture, but I hope it can give you an idea of what I am like
mepeeing.jpg
Here is me peeing. Weird picture, I know. but it shows my body kinda
meandthenigs.jpg
Front body
meandgirls.jpg
Another weird view, but you can see how mmuch bigger my legs are then my upper body. So basically, any advice for those 4 things? Oh, also... for jeans... if i get levi 501's shrink to fit, do i buy my usual size in jeans or do i buy one size up? it confused me. i plan on shrinking them in a bathtub or whatever how they show on that one blog site. i forget what its called

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
I'm in a good mood, so I'll help you (and then probably just repost this the next time someone comes knockin'). In the future, use the search function and the stickied threads. Do this instead of replying to any of these posts.

i'm going to assume that the real goal here is to look good for the ladies, so...

College wear for fun and profit:

Your **** is going to get messy. Beer is going to get spilled all over everything you own. More than likely, you will sleep in the mud/bushes while wearing most of this stuff. Girls will rub themselves on your pants, which is great, but unhygienic.

First, get rid of your graphic tees. If you want to wear t shirts, and who doesn't, just get some blanks from hanes/american apparel that fit well in the shoulders.

Next, buy a pair of jeans. Everyone here will tell you to buy raws, and they are right. Don't ask what kind. You're getting away with this much, so you can do some forum research next. I will tell you that if you wait, jeans are cheap. Buy jeans that fit you.

Buy a pair of boots that are not desert boots. desert boots are boring and girls don't give a **** that they're based on imperialist ******-wear. Buy something with a slight heel. Do some research/read up on what you like.

Do not wear adidas all-stars with gelly stripes. Do not wear cargo shorts. Do not wear cargo shorts with your adidas all-stars. Chucks are whatever, but be warned that they will not get you any female attention. do not ******* EVER wear your running shoes unless you're working out, I don't care what you think you know.

Buy slim button downs on the cheap. take j crew button downs to the tailor, whatever. not everything has to be skin tight, but if you want to look like you take care of yourself, a good start is to buy clothes that fit you.

don't save up and buy **** that you'll regret buying. take advantage of fast fashion. Look at WAYWT. Most people are not spending a lot of money on anything. Emulate them.

finally, clothes are not going to make you look better/more classy/ more cultured. If you are a slob, cookie-cutter clothing is not going to fix anything. If you are interested in looking like a mature human, or even an immature but stylish one, don't go throwing your money around. Especially not during college. spend that **** on drugs and alcohol and parties. and some boots.

mostly, go do some ******* research

(also, don't start new threads plz thx)

The Trendsetter

Reaction score
I understand that. I have been doing research. I just was looking for more specifics. I'm sorry.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't call yourself a trendsetter if you created a thread asking for advice on how to dress.

The Trendsetter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timbaland
You can't call yourself a trendsetter if you created a thread asking for advice on how to dress.

Okay. I forgot I was on a ******* style forum and asking for advice would be ******* blasphemy. I apologize for posting the damn thread. How do I take it down?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
need more pictures of you urinating to properly evaluate your body type.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timbaland: Don't be a dick
Trendsetter: just post in the "Recommend me X" thread and ppl should help you out.

Oxfords: Uniqlo, Muji, RL Rugby (on Sale), J.Crew, lands end canvas.
Shoes: Sperrys are played out. If you can thrift/ebay a nice pair of oxfords and boots you'd be golden. Chucks, LL Bean Khatadins and Clarks are all cheap, but boring. Shoes are something you want to invest in, so maybe consider upping your budget.
For S/S wear, same **** as normally (slim fitting) but wear lighter fabrics and maybe lighter colors. Don't worry too much about seasonality.
501's-wear true waist size or size down one.

Also, the esquire guide to style is not for college kids, it's for adults. Dress that way and you'll look like a yuppie in training (not a good thing)

The Trendsetter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Timbaland: Don't be a dick
Trendsetter: just post in the "Recommend me X" thread and ppl should help you out.

Oxfords: Uniqlo, Muji, RL Rugby (on Sale), J.Crew, lands end canvas.
Shoes: Sperrys are played out. If you can thrift/ebay a nice pair of oxfords and boots you'd be golden. Chucks, LL Bean Khatadins and Clarks are all cheap, but boring. Shoes are something you want to invest in, so maybe consider upping your budget.
For S/S wear, same **** as normally (slim fitting) but wear lighter fabrics and maybe lighter colors. Don't worry too much about seasonality.
501's-wear true waist size or size down one.

Also, the esquire guide to style is not for college kids, it's for adults. Dress that way and you'll look like a yuppie in training (not a good thing)

Thank you. I appreciate the advice. And I figured it was for adults. A lot of the information is. That is why I made the thread. But thanks for the advice again. Ill make sure to just post in the recommend thread

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
lololol. this is gna b fun. responses in bld.
Originally Posted by The Trendsetter
1. Oxford Button Down Shirts. - My question for this is what kind? I am a college student so my budget is not huge. What Oxford button up shirts do you recommend that are cheap. What colors are essential to a stylish wardrobe? any nice kind. a good place to start for you would be slim oxfords in brands mentioned on this forum. most people start with white and light blue, and add colors that they like when they get bored of rocking those two colors. 2. A nice pair of shoes. - I am going to be buying a pair of shoes, probably this weekend, and I'm not sure what to buy. I want to be different, I want to wear something other than the jordan's and regular white nike shoes. That is all that anyone wears in my area. I need something universal, that I can wear with a lot of different options. I'm looking to spend less than 100 dollars. I was thinking about Sperry's. I really have no clue. Remember I'm in college too. So, I don't want to look extremely out of place, but I want to stand out. If that makes sense at all? Eh. i dont feel like giving you a long response to this one. search for "non-baller sneakers" and click on the official thread. people usually rec chucks, sperrys, authentic vans, spring court. you can also look up posts by rfx45 or smth, he's really really into shoes. 3. Spring/ Summer Clothes - I just need ideas of what to buy that will look good in the summer/spring. I have no clothes for the spring and it's coming soon. I need T-Shirts, really everything. Cheap though. standard forum answer would be plain colored t's from american apparel + jeans. you can start reading about shorts if ur into that thing 4. Jeans - I need nice jeans. Raw denim is apparently the best? I don't know. Remember Im still learning. I am thinking of Levi 501's. I need them to be cheap and nice. I wear size 36. I weigh 195-205 ish. I wear size large. I have some flab but I'm going to start running when it get's a little warmer out. Here is a picture of my body type. Bad picture, but I hope it can give you an idea of what I am like figure out if you look better in straight legged jeans or if you can rock tapered jeans. then go to a store and try them all on. if you want to experiment, start with levi STF's, but if you're willing to take the plunge into nice jeans, look @ 3sixteen. i wont list other brands since ur poor.

triumphman

Reaction score
if you're looking for cheap clothes that's "in style," your best bet is Uniqlo and H&M.

For jeans, the 501's is a good start...to my knowledge i think you're supposed to buy true to size, in waist, but 2 inches longer in the inseam, as this is what shrinks the most.

For shoes, I would avoid sperry's, as they're somewhat trendy and will be out of style in a year or two. look at clarks desert boots...it's a very casual shoe, that you can wear w/ jeans and chinos.

The Trendsetter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
if you're looking for cheap clothes that's "in style," your best bet is Uniqlo and H&M.

For jeans, the 501's is a good start...to my knowledge i think you're supposed to buy true to size, in waist, but 2 inches longer in the inseam, as this is what shrinks the most.

For shoes, I would avoid sperry's, as they're somewhat trendy and will be out of style in a year or two. look at clarks desert boots...it's a very casual shoe, that you can wear w/ jeans and chinos.

Can you wear those boots in the summer? May be an extremely dumb question considering their called 'desert' boots. haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads