• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stephen King Movie Adaptation Thread

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Yeah, didn't want to start another thread for a subject that only a handful of posters care about.

http://www.slashfilm.com/javier-bard...e-dark-tower/#

I sincerely hope they drastically curtail the series for the movie. The last three books were just ****.

It was just earlier today that we heard Christian Bale might be on the wishlist for the role of Roland Deschain in Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman"˜s film and TV adaptation of Stephen King"˜s series The Dark Tower. It seemed odd, given that Mr. Bale will soon have his hands full being Batman for a third and possibly final time. But the source was the same one that had pegged Javier Bardem and Viggo Mortensen as being serious contenders, and that info turned out to be on the money.

In fact, that info was very on the money as Deadline now reports that Javier Bardem has been offered the role. This is step one, and the site says that negotiations haven't begun, but "there's a high level of enthusiasm internally that they've got their cowboy."

So now we've got to see where this goes. It's an interesting choice and one that a few fans might have issues with, given the fervor with which I've seen Viggo Mortensen's name discussed. But I think it's a good one overall. (Deadline does mention that Christian Bale was indeed part of the discussions, but it seems like without a big refusal on Mr. Bardem's part, you can rule him out.)

It would be a big commitment for the actor, but possibly a very lucrative one. Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman have called the project their Lord of the Rings, only characterized by "an alternate Americana, one part post-apocalyptic, one part Sergio Leone." There's the first film, a six-hour TV miniseries, then another film. After that comes the second TV series, which might be a prequel-ish story, and for which the lead actor for Roland might get a break. But that's a ways down the road, and in between is a serious commitment.

Here's a synopsis of the (currently) seven-book series:

The series incorporates themes from multiple genres, including fantasy fiction, science fantasy, horror and western elements. They describe a "Gunslinger" and his quest toward a tower whose nature the books call both physical and metaphorical. King has described the series as his magnum opus. Besides the seven novels that compose the series proper, many of his other books relate to the story, introducing concepts and characters that come into play as the series progresses.

In the story, Roland Deschain is the last living member of a knightly order known as gunslingers and the last of the line of "Arthur Eld", his world's analogue of King Arthur. The world he lives in is quite different from our own, yet it bears striking similarities to it. Politically organized along the lines of a feudal society, it shares technological and social characteristics with the American Old West but is also magical. While the magical aspects are largely gone from Mid-World, some vestiges of them remain, along with the relics of a highly advanced, but long vanished, society. Roland's quest is to find the Dark Tower, a fabled building said to be the nexus of all universes. Roland's world is said to have "moved on", and indeed it appears to be coming apart at the seams"”mighty nations have been torn apart by war, entire cities and regions vanish without a trace and time does not flow in an orderly fashion.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what cameo is King going to make? i bet its the guy who throws bricks from buildings.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
what cameo is King going to make? i bet its the guy who throws bricks from buildings.

One of the reasons the series got so bad is that King actually wrote himself into the last couple books. It was awful, just completely cringe-inducing.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started reading them when I was 12 or 13 and the first book came out...not to finish until I was close to 40. It was a long road, and one that I thoroughly enjoyed. Still, I always pictured Roland as a Clint Eastwood looking character. Vigo would have been good....not so sure about Javier.

Mike

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
One of the reasons the series got so bad is that King actually wrote himself into the last couple books. It was awful, just completely cringe-inducing.

i got through the first 3... but only vividly remember the first two... the 2nd arguably the best right?

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got through the first 3... but only vividly remember the first two... the 2nd arguably the best right?

Yeah, I'd say so, although it seems a lot of people prefer "The Waste Lands".

As far as Dark Tower rumours are concerned, most of them seem to be bullshit. You need to take them with a grain of salt. One I read the other day involved Susannah being cast with a white actress. Whoever ends up in these roles will be making a really big commitment, as they'll be starring in movies and a tv series. Which is why I'm a bit surprised such big names are being thrown around.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
King is garbage. Will not watch.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
King is garbage. Will not watch.
I carry around an E copy of skeleton crew on my iphone and wife's ipad just in case if i want to read some awesome short stories. kings movies are garbage but he has some good writing and books.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kings movies are garbage

I dunno. The Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Stand By Me, and Misery were all pretty good.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I carry around an E copy of skeleton crew on my iphone and wife's ipad just in case if i want to read some awesome short stories.

kings movies are garbage but he has some good writing and books.

I was going for the opposite. I hate his books and writing.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
I dunno. The Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Stand By Me, and Misery were all pretty good.

of all his movies (even the mist) those are the only keepers. the deadzone was pretty good, but the book was epic compared to it.

cmd06

Reaction score
Besides Viggo Mortensen, the following actors would've been good:

Guy Pearce
Josh Holloway (Sawyer from LOST)
Clive Owen
Josh Brolin

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads