• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

good brand for portable grill...

ratratan

Reaction score
so i need a grill i can take up to my rooftop on weekends to cook for 2 people. my partner is quite particular about food so something easy to use with great results would be stellar...

Kyoung05

Reaction score
I have a Weber Q (100) and like it a lot. It can use either those portable 14oz propane tanks, or, you can buy an adapter to use those larger propane tanks if you'd like. It has a cast iron cooking grate, so the heat distribution is nice and even. The only downside is that it only has 1 burner, so you can't really cook anything that requires indirect heat. Otherwise, it's great.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got the Weber, too. Pretty convenient.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got the same Weber. I found it a great deal for the price - would recommend.
redface.gif

runner-guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
I have a Weber Q (100) and like it a lot. It can use either those portable 14oz propane tanks, or, you can buy an adapter to use those larger propane tanks if you'd like. It has a cast iron cooking grate, so the heat distribution is nice and even. The only downside is that it only has 1 burner, so you can't really cook anything that requires indirect heat. Otherwise, it's great.

+1. It's great for tailgating too.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
+1. It's great for tailgating too.

Yep - I bought the additional side trays and the fold-able cart thing, and it's great. Packs up really small, but folds out into a decent work space at a good height - no need to squat over the thing like the other tailgaters are doing.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't speak to the portable grill, but must chime in for Weber products. I grill out a lot - I mean, 3-5 times a week (I live in Florida). After going through a bunch of rust pit craptasic grills, I finally got serious and got a Weber silver about 9 years ago. It's still going strong. Sure, I've had to replace the cast-iron grates (rust is a ***** in Florida due to our high humidity) with porcelain covered cast iron but other than that, I haven't had a problem with it. Heck, it looks like it could go another 9+ years without a problem.

Here's hoping Weber has kept up their manufacturing standards since my purchase!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends on your budget but for 2, smokey joe works fine. get a chimney as well

ratratan

Reaction score
^yeah i was looking at that one as well. it's probably enough for me. any pros and cons on that model?

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratratan
^yeah i was looking at that one as well. it's probably enough for me. any pros and cons on that model?

I've got a Smokey Joe too, but as soon as I got my Q 100, I haven't touched it. For what it is, it's great - definitely large enough for 2-3 people, well made, etc. The only "downside," I guess is that it's charcoal, and sometimes, you just want to be able to go out and cook without waiting for coals to heat up, etc. Even with a chimney, the Q will come up to temp faster. Also, there isn't a stand or anything that is made for it (to the best of my knowledge), so having to crouch down to use it kind of sucks. I suppose you could put it on a table or something to add height, but given that it contains glowing hot coals, you'd have to be careful what the table is made of. However, for $30, it gets the job done, and in terms of quality, it's leaps and bounds better than the cheap store- brand grills. Also, because it's charcoal, it allows you to cook with indirect heat, which the Q does not allow since it only has 1 burner.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are 2 smokey joes, one is a round charcoal model, the other is a rectangular gas model.

I find the gas doesnt get hot enough. I was at the beach with some friends trying to cook steaks and it was taking way too long for a good sear.

The charcoal model is great. You can do any kind if normal charcoal grilling and get it super hot if you need. The drawback in terms of portability is that you need to do something with the ashes when you are done. Either wait for them to extinguish or dump them somehow.

Also, the regular 18" weber might be an option for you, it's quite compact. I disassemble my 22" and tailgate with it regularly. The 18" is good for maybe 4 people

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05

Yes Sir. Weber all the Way!
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads