• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fpr4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
Just in tme for the Spring..in the US!!

Are those a pair in your avatar? I've always wondered that...

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* loving my pair. wear them daily. super comfortable.

Originally Posted by fpr4
Are those a pair in your avatar? I've always wondered that...

no, those look nothing like katahdins.

fpr4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
******* loving my pair. wear them daily. super comfortable.

I plan on wearing mine daily (except for probably July and August...

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you guys recommend the Engineer (not the Waterproof ones) for NYC winters?

I'm looking to get a solid pair of boots for everyday wear (my Clarks DBs aren't really cutting it).

kojnglsmith

Reaction score
Definitely. I'm in New Hampshire and was in the same situation as you..after 2 coats of Obenauf's I feel fine going through just about anything in these boots

hardline_42

Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of the "Chippewa GQs" from Sportsman's Guide. Since I'm a club member, I got them for $80 but $89 is still an awesome price. They're factory seconds, but I've ordered plenty of factory seconds from SG (including a pair of these Duluth branded Thorogoods for $25) and they've always been tiny cosmetic blemishes (slightly abraded collar trim, for example).

My brother has a pair of the Bean Katahdins, so maybe when I receive them I'll do a side-by-side.

canderson

Reaction score
I picked up these boots last weekend. They are so comfortable and great for snow. I have 2 complaints though:

1) The ankle is TOUGH - I have blisters where the top is meeting my ankle. This will no doubt go away once broken in, but beware

2) For some reason, the left shoe is rubbing my little toe despite ample room in the toe box. I might have had my sock seam rolled over on the toe causing the irritation though, so this might be dumb luck and not the shoe.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fwiw, I wore these with thicker wool socks for the first 5 wears or so and now I'm fine even with shorter socks. I never had any ankle issues.

Kevk

Reaction score
Wearing mine today in the snowy northeast. 2 coats of obernaufs and all is good.
Went true to size and fit well. Good value for the money. Not quite up to the Aldens I normally wear, but for a foul weather boot these are good. My only real complaint is the octogon metal eyelets. Why they just didn't make them round, I'll never know.

fungz0r

Reaction score
I've had mine for about 3 months now, just been wearing them as is without any coats of anything. Survives the Vancouver rain, haven't gotten wet feet yet. I personally like the colour of them and don't really want them to be darker

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how often should one oil these? I used sno seal originally but at some point I want to thoroughly clean them (what should I use? saddle soap?) and re-oil with some obenauf's.

muffintop

Reaction score
Unfortunately LL Bean will not have any 9.5 or 10s until April 1st. I called customer service and they said they dont have either size in any store in the US either.

Opted to go for the Chippewa's instead of waiting until April for boots I need immediately. I ordered these:
http://www.zappos.com/chippewa-6-ame...-gq-boot-brown last night through Zappos VIP and they were delivered at noon today, not too bad.

photojan27125211pm.jpg

photojan27125226pm.jpg

photojan27125244pm.jpg

The color isn't the same as the ones in the Zappos pictures, which I actually prefer since I think the color in the Zappos pictures wasn't great. Re: sizing, I usually wear a 9.5 D, occasionally a 10. I ordered the 9.5D Chippewa's and they fit perfectly with thick wool socks, a little bit of spare room with thinner athletic socks but nothing I can't live with.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i use lexol and obenaufs on mine. need to reapply obenaufs...

G0079

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fungz0r
I've had mine for about 3 months now, just been wearing them as is without any coats of anything. Survives the Vancouver rain, haven't gotten wet feet yet. I personally like the colour of them and don't really want them to be darker

+1 I see no need to baby these boots.

ArMiXiA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
i use lexol and obenaufs on mine. need to reapply obenaufs...

When you guys say you use Obenauf's which of their products do you speak of? I went to their site to purchase some and they seem to have many. Spray, oils, etc... Thank you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads