• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Filson 256 with a 15" macbook and a couple of folders and small accesories:
CNU78.jpg

i own this and use daily for my mbp with a sleeve and works great. unless you have a bunch of stuff, like lots of papers/thick book, it does really well

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
The behemoth 17" macbook pro dimensions are about 15.5"x10.5"x1". It may barely fit in the 257 (center compartment) without a sleeve, but I do not recommend a filson if you own a 17" macbook.

You know your ****. What do you recommend?

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
fwiw i put a 17" hp laptop in my 258 with no problem along with notebooks and other crap. No sleeve, i figure the padding in the bag is good enough.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post above showing the differences in sizes between the bags. Worth noting, I think, that IMO both the 257 and 258 appear smaller IRL than in the pics above - the 258 because of the perspective, and the 257 because it's being worn by a borderline midget.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Filson, $300-$500, closer to 3.

The 258 is definitely out:
There are two specialized pockets inside the main compartment of the Style 258 Padded Laptop Bag that are designed to fit a standard laptop computer snugly and prevent it from moving around in the main compartment. Both of these pockets are only 14" wide and won't come close to fitting a wide screen 17" laptop.

However, the main compartment of our Style 258 Padded Laptop Bag is 16 " at its widest point. You can fit your 17" laptop inside the main compartment, but it would be a tight fit, and you risk scratching the ends of the laptop against the brass zipper when you insert and remove the laptop from the bag.

To summarize, the bag is not designed to accommodate a 17" wide laptop.
The filson rucksack will probably work for you. So will the Filson passage saddleback (nylon fabric, and not made in USA). Not sure if you want the backpack style though.

moryanzi

Reaction score
hello all, i want to order a Filson Tin Cruiser on website, but still cant decide the size.

i am 180cm and 73KG, should I order a 38 or 40? thank you.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moryanzi
hello all, i want to order a Filson Tin Cruiser on website, but still cant decide the size.

i am 180cm and 73KG, should I order a 38 or 40? thank you.

xs or small

broken_oracle

Reaction score
I have not worn a Filson Tin Cruiser, but I do have a double mackinaw cruiser, size 40. I'm about 185cm & 77kg (6'1"-2"/170lbs) and this fits well. Room enough to layer beneath if needed, without feeling too loose if worn over just one shirt.

As for tin cloth, the tin packer hat I have did shrink substantially after a long hot summer of Louisiana rainstorms & sun, so that might be something to take into consideration. The shrinkage was enough I'm thinking of buying a replacement one size up & selling the old one secondhand; it's just too tight now to wear comfortably. Apart from that one issue the hat is superb & indestructible - It got crushed under several hundred pounds of rusty fire escape landing stock for most of an afternoon & emerged unscathed...

Has anyone else had issues with significant tin cloth shrinkage after heavy exposure to rain &/or sun?

moryanzi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by broken_oracle
I have not worn a Filson Tin Cruiser, but I do have a double mackinaw cruiser, size 40. I'm about 185cm & 77kg (6'1"-2"/170lbs) and this fits well. Room enough to layer beneath if needed, without feeling too loose if worn over just one shirt.

As for tin cloth, the tin packer hat I have did shrink substantially after a long hot summer of Louisiana rainstorms & sun, so that might be something to take into consideration. The shrinkage was enough I'm thinking of buying a replacement one size up & selling the old one secondhand; it's just too tight now to wear comfortably. Apart from that one issue the hat is superb & indestructible - It got crushed under several hundred pounds of rusty fire escape landing stock for most of an afternoon & emerged unscathed...

Has anyone else had issues with significant tin cloth shrinkage after heavy exposure to rain &/or sun?

Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
xs or small
thank you very much, so i think 38 will be a good choice.

broken_oracle

Reaction score
Most of this is still crazy overpriced or things like sunglasses & socks I would never bother to buy from them anyway. But a few of the shirts look like relative bargains, as do the raincoat, women's logger jacket, & bomber jacket. Most notably the all-season raincoat is marked down to $180 from about $300, just cuz they're discontinuing that blue color. Yesterday four different styles of Red Wing boots were also included, though today they've mysteriously disappeared.

http://www.filson.com/collections/web-specials/-cc15/

kapli

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy the filson small duffle bag (220) in dark brown, but it is sold out everywhere and on backorder until mid April, does anyone know where I can get a hold of one? I'm considering the tan one as they have in stock but I must say I like the dark brown one better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads