• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick out a watch.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IronRock
IWC Chronograph Automatic. maybe a few $$ though.

Originally Posted by CustomWorks
Looked at the IWC, tried it on. Great peice. Not 100% sold on the movement, heard it wobbles a bit.

omega railmaster is black face? or does it come in white as well?

Dornblueth & Sohn, interesting choice.

See my signature.
cheers.gif

Regards.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control 40, brown band

list at $5600 ?
1398420_main.jpg

+1 on the JLCMC.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control 40, brown band list at $5600 ?
1398420_main.jpg

+1 Jaeger and IWC are the only brands I would consider outside of a small maker like Roland G Murphy and RGM Watch. I've owned both IWC and JLC, although I sold my JLC Master Black Memovox and now have two IWCs in my stable. My JLC was a great watch and I wouldn't hesitate owning another. Eventually I'll get a Patek Annual Calendar, but I may go full perpetual and in that case JLC is the only choice at a reasonable price.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex or bust.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to recommend a couple of options from underrated "underdog" brands. Raymond Weil Maestro, priced around $1,000. It's 39.5, but is a very understated watch that constantly gets me good compliments. Another is the Junghans Max Bill. These are also priced similarly. Thirdly, you've Longines -- depending on the style, you can get a simple one for anywhere from $1,500 - $2,500 new.

Bandit44

Reaction score
The JLC Master Control comes with a silver dial, not white. Still, it is a gorgeous watch and otherwise fits the bill.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
Rolex datejust w/ leather strap.........

The only DJ on leather is either yellow gold or white, and at 36mm, it'll be way too small for the OP.

To the OP: I'm going to include silver dials, since in many lights they look white:

JLC is a fantastic choice for a dressier watch, would be a great choice
IWC Ingenieur Vintage (has a black dial, but may be able to order silver dial from the plat version, this is a killer watch)
IWC MK XVI Spitfire (I have the classic and love it)
Rolex Explorer II (I have the black and love it, only comes on bracelet though)
Omega Aqua Terra
Omega Speedmaster (don't love chronos myself but a great wathc)
Glashutte, if you can find one for your price (should be able to)

CustomWorks

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, DJ is too small, already one in the family as well. Explorer II isnt a bad choice, but looking outside the rolex brand, if i was to get another rolex it would be daytona.

Panerai's are over played imo, see them way too much these days. Not my thing either.

JLC so far isnt a bad option. I like Glashutte but cannot find anything decent in that price range.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CustomWorks
Thanks for all the replies, DJ is too small, already one in the family as well. Explorer II isnt a bad choice, but looking outside the rolex brand, if i was to get another rolex it would be daytona.

Panerai's are over played imo, see them way too much these days. Not my thing either.

JLC so far isnt a bad option. I like Glashutte but cannot find anything decent in that price range.

You should be able to get a Senator Automatic for within 5k and a Senator Panorama Date for just a bit more. But seriously, find out if IWC will sell you the silver dial from the Ingenieur Vintage platinum to put in an Inge Vintage steel, and you will not be disappointed with the watch, trust me!

Agree on Panerai, and to be honest, if you appreciate a Glashutte, chances are the Panerai will hold little appeal. Not a Daytona fan myself, but agree on branching out if you already have a DJ.

If you want to up the budget a bit, also consider the IWC Portugese 7-day power reserve; beautiful watch and a very unique movement.

Also consider the Zenith Class Elite series. Not as well known as Rolex or Omega, Zenith makes among the finest movements out there. Think of Zenith to watches as Zegna is to clothes; they are actually better known as a supplier, but make damn nice finished products themselves (some of the more sought after Daytonas have Zeniths under the hood).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What are you going to be wearing it as? Dressy or casual?

If dressy then you'd be better off with the JLC Ultra Thin than the MC. You can snag several IWC's new for 5k also. The Portuguese Chrono is always nice.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Save yourself a fortune and consider this one: Christopher Ward C5 Malvern automatic
C5SSS_7.jpg
or Christopher Ward C20 Lido automatic
c20sss.jpg
With the money saved, go and get yourself a bespoke suit from a fine tailor
wink.gif

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
You can snag several IWC's new for 5k also. The Portuguese Chrono is always nice.

That's true, but any IWC in that range will have an ETA base, not a true manufacture movement. Nothing wrong with them at all (mine has this), but I'd rather go for something more unique. The Port Chrono, for example, is quite nice, but looks very similar to the 7-day power reserve model which has a much more special movement.

OP: one more I was thinking about, if you don't mind a busier watch, is the JLC Compressor GMT. I think you'll like this as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads