• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At what age did you start acting maturely

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I have one answer to this question. I suspect that my ex-wife would have a completely different answer to this question.

LOL. One of the nicest things my (now ex-)wife ever said about me was that I could be child-like without being childish. I doubt she would say that now.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Trust me, he was scarred for life long before I ever met him. But I'm sorely tempted to sig this.
Be my guest, but I was just busting your chops.
smile.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. Except I'm 39, turning 40 later this year. (OH NOES!@)

Anyway, for the most part I'm mature in public but sometimes I refuse to behave normally. Here's an instance:

My son is preparing to sing in a talent show. He has very little talent to speak of, regarding singing, but that's not stopping him from practicing and taking it like SRS BZNESS. He's singing "Fireflies" that was so popular last year. I fvcking h8 the song so after the fourth or fifth time to hear it in the truck, I started inventing my own lyrics.

If 10,000 fireflies
flew up into my beehive
Do you think my butt would light up like theirs?

My son was NOT amused.

lol, my dad still makes up stupid lyrics to songs all the time. The only difference is he has no clue what that "fireflies" song is as he's 60.

Part of maturity is knowing when it's ok to have a little fun, but still be able to get down to serious business when necessary.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
I'm 37 and still act like I'm 15 at times. I moved out when I was 18, have been paying my own way ever since, but I still read comics, play video games, cook delicious food, eat junk food, ride motorcycles, ride the bus, swim in oceans, fart in the tub, skip down the street, jump on ledges, write girls silly poetry, chase tail, get wasted, stay sober, make chocolates, play in the grass, read a lot of books, watch a lot of music, listen to a lot of music, do my own laundry, draw inappropriate pictures... I don't know what your definition of mature is, but I'm pretty happy with my life.

Did you copy that off some pretentious art girls about me on facebook?

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
If maturity = being polite, civilised, and restrained vs. being a wild animal...

Then I started maturing when I was a toddler. Home environment was loving and good, but a little on the stereotypical mid-20th century middle-class Brit/Anglo-American side: kind, caring, proper, orderly, mind your manners, work hard, wait your turn, that-just-isn't-done-in-polite-society.

If maturity = being focused on education/getting established/etc. vs partying like it's 1999...

Then I started maturing at 13-14 (I wanted a full university scholarship, so I spent much of high school slaving away over the textbooks - did very well, but not well enough).

If maturity = thinking about other people's needs before your own/being socially responsible...

Then it started when I was 29, when my first son was born. Still not entirely there yet. Being an only I have a strong sense of self-interest.

DBoon

Reaction score
This. Except I'm 39, turning 40 later this year. (OH NOES!@)

Anyway, for the most part I'm mature in public but sometimes I refuse to behave normally. Here's an instance:

My son is preparing to sing in a talent show. He has very little talent to speak of, regarding singing, but that's not stopping him from practicing and taking it like SRS BZNESS. He's singing "Fireflies" that was so popular last year. I fvcking h8 the song so after the fourth or fifth time to hear it in the truck, I started inventing my own lyrics.

If 10,000 fireflies
flew up into my beehive
Do you think my butt would light up like theirs?

My son was NOT amused.

this is ******* hilarious and you are father of the year

ashpool

Reaction score
I don't think it's quite that cut and dry. You are always growing, and your maturity grows with you. I'm sure people who are 60, when looking back at when they were 40, could see some immaturity etc.

I think I act relatively mature now, but when I look back 10 years from now, I'm sure I'd see myself being rather immature.

Biff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashpool
I don't think it's quite that cut and dry. You are always growing, and your maturity grows with you. I'm sure people who are 60, when looking back at when they were 40, could see some immaturity etc.

I think I act relatively mature now, but when I look back 10 years from now, I'm sure I'd see myself being rather immature.

This.

For me, at least, it's a gradual thing. I've recently found myself in situations where I acted civily and appropriately (confirmed by people who witnessed this). Put me in the same situation, say, 3 years ago and I probably would have acted much differently.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Four.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are underlying assumptions in some of these posts that (a) acting immaturely is a bad thing and that (b) maturity is a progression. As I approach the beginning of my 6th decade I can assure you all that neither of these things is necessarily true.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
maybe i'll start at age 60 perhaps.

and that's what?... 3 years from now?

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
If maturity = stiff, formal, humorless then count me out. If maturity = getting your **** together and taking ownership of your life, that happened when I turned 30.

eztantz

Reaction score
Tried it once for a day...it just wasn't me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads