• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Speed Internet

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just used the speedtest site and came back with 12mb/s downloads + 1.6mb/s uploads. Should I subscribe to a service with a top speed of 15mb/s?
eh.gif

I wouldn't want to be paying for super fast internet when my system can only go so quick.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd kill for that d/l speed.

I'm only at 10MB down, 4mb/s up.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have access to so many warez sites... and 10 Mb's was more than enough. At times I didn't even know what else I wanted to download.

Appreciation was a problem though... I needed at least twice that speed to get all the Appreciation from pay sites that I wanted daily. Appreciation sites get updated daily for the most part with files around 500 MB each and with HD now... some files were easily 2 gigs each.

You need a lot of hard drive space too if you have really fast internet.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
25.53 mb/s

bigstar[1].gif

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
20 down, 2 up. RCN middle of the road package.

Could get 50 down and 5 up but that gets a little pricey.

My hotrod doesn't need that much HP.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Is a 1.5mbps practical? I don't use my computer for gaming or downloading any fat AZZ files.
Ya .. I do game, and do download "fat azz files", and only have 1.05 mbps download, and 0.22 mbps upload.

It could be faster, much faster .. but it is practical.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5 and 2.6 with Comcast in Houston, Tx.

I pay $99 a month for this and basic cable. Sounds pretty bad.

I am no techie. Is 5 and 2.6 ridiculously slow?

And does anyone in the Houston area ( Javyn? ) have any idea of what Comcast typically quotes for their HSI speeds with their basic service?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
5 and 2.6 with Comcast in Houston, Tx.

I pay $99 a month for this and basic cable. Sounds pretty bad.

I am no techie. Is 5 and 2.6 ridiculously slow?

And does anyone in the Houston area ( Javyn? ) have any idea of what Comcast typically quotes for their HSI speeds with their basic service?

How much are you being charged alone just for the internet?
eh.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How much are you being charged alone just for the internet?
eh.gif

I believe that I am being charged $49.99 for ISP service, which I think is their basic High Speed. I will check.

I live by Memorial Park. Maybe the location affects the speeds. I done know! Does anyone know if ISP speed is very location sensitive.

I have also been thinking of switching to the new Clear/Srint ISP. Anyone know much about this service?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I believe that I am being charged $49.99 for ISP service, which I think is their basic High Speed. I will check.

I live by Memorial Park. Maybe the location affects the speeds. I done know! Does anyone know if ISP speed is very location sensitive.

I have also been thinking of switching to the new Clear/Srint ISP. Anyone know much about this service?

Good question, I'm marsupialed with computers.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm at 10Mb down, 5 up, free internet included in apartment by Qwest.

I just used the speedtest site and came back with 12mb/s downloads + 1.6mb/s uploads. Should I subscribe to a service with a top speed of 15mb/s?
eh.gif

I wouldn't want to be paying for super fast internet when my system can only go so quick.

Originally Posted by pseudonym
I'd kill for that d/l speed.

I'm only at 10MB down, 4mb/s up.

You'd kill for another 2 mb?

Is a 1.5mbps practical? I don't use my computer for gaming or downloading any fat AZZ files.

I used to have either 1.5 or 1.3 when I was with Yahoo. I was on SF all day, watching youtube, torrenting movies and music, selling a ton of **** on ebay, and it was fine. Not luxurious but fine.

The only limiting factor you might want to look at is if you like to watch streaming movies which I believe can be up to 2gb. Most people want enough speed to be able to start it and not wait for any buffer. I.e. faster than 1gb per hour

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I'm at 10Mb down, 5 up, free internet included in apartment by Qwest.

You'd kill for another 2 mb?

I used to have either 1.5 or 1.3 when I was with Yahoo. I was on SF all day, watching youtube, torrenting movies and music, selling a ton of **** on ebay, and it was fine. Not luxurious but fine.

The only limiting factor you might want to look at is if you like to watch streaming movies which I believe can be up to 2gb. Most people want enough speed to be able to start it and not wait for any buffer. I.e. faster than 1gb per hour

That's the most intense stuff I do on my computer. Looks like I'll be getting the 1.5 service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads