• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$2 at SA:
1000000150.JPG
1000000149.JPG

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
January is off to a pretty disappointing start. 5 stops today and nothing to show for it but a stained Charvet tie (which looked perfect in the store, but once out in the car, the sunlight revealed a spot about the size of a quarter that looks like yellow highlighter) and a vintage Chester Barrie overcoat which I plan to pass on cheaply on here since some interest was expressed when I previously passed on it.

alfair

Reaction score
Purchased a Savile Row shirt that fit well. Passed on BB pants as they were way off sizing wise. Found a complete Burberry Prorsum suit w/pants but they marked it up to $75 that would need some alterations. Considering going back for it though. Saturday they are having a 50% red tag sale so that might be the best time.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much here either. Today brought a Vestimenta shirt for sale and recent BB pullover for me; passed on a Barbour sweater in my size, awesome thick wool - with lovely holes in the bottom ribbed edge. While there, my memory was jogged, and I remembered where I'd seen that Polo bear sweater before... in the showcase section of that store. I remember thinking "wtf? RL sweater in showcase?" but don't remember how much they were asking. Probably not $500.
baldy[1].gif

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
i know, i was just busting his chops
biggrin.gif

No, I meant "trolling" as in "he put a GPS tracking device on my car"
sneaky2.gif

Originally Posted by acridsheep
$2 at SA:

1000000149.JPG

The glen plaid tie: Daddy likey, likey...
wow.gif

Originally Posted by Nataku
January is off to a pretty disappointing start....

I agree. At least the Packers got in the Super Bowl. Oh, wait... sorry!
stirpot.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need your guys help regarding bidding on ebay. I was watching an ebay auction close with 1 minute left. I watched as the dollar amount stayed the same and right at 4 seconds there was so much action. The amount grew an extra $50! What is the trick to bidding on an item via ebay? Submit with 1 second left? Submit with 2?

Cheers

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Also, at the first shop my heart skipped a beat when among a bunch of Van Heusens and Geoffery Beenes was what I thought was a Brioni. Boy was I disappoined when I picked it out the double check. WTF is this?!

0122111603.jpg

Borroni is Brioni's pi$$ed off brother who went and started his own label.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Need your guys help regarding bidding on ebay. I was watching an ebay auction close with 1 minute left. I watched as the dollar amount stayed the same and right at 4 seconds there was so much action. The amount grew an extra $50! What is the trick to bidding on an item via ebay? Submit with 1 second left? Submit with 2?

Cheers

Yes, you can try sniping like that with a third party application or the eBay Countdown webapp (using the traditional website will take too much time). Or, the more logical way to go is to place a bid early with the maximum amount you are willing to pay. That way you don't have to worry about losing the item at the last minute at a price with which you feel comfortable. You also tend to avoid the last minute panic bidding. Sure you may have won the auction, but you just paid twice what you really wanted.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Yes, you can try sniping like that with a third party application or the eBay Countdown webapp (using the traditional website will take too much time). Or, the more logical way to go is to place a bid early with the maximum amount you are willing to pay. That way you don't have to worry about losing the item at the last minute at a price with which you feel comfortable. You also tend to avoid the last minute panic bidding. Sure you may have won the auction, but you just paid twice what you really wanted.

Thank you for your advice. I was under the impression when I submit a maximum bid, it would automatically show up on the screen. I.e. if the current bid is $20 and my maximum bid is $50, the screen would automatically increase to $50. Is this incorrect?

CHeers

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
incorrect. it'll go up by increments as each new bid is made, up to the point you've named. $20 current, $50 max ... will probably bump it to $20.50 or $21 or something like that.
still, i find it best for something i really want to wait until about 45 seconds left and post my max ... don't know if anyone else does that or not. i went through a real long streak of getting sniped. too cheap to sign up for a snipe software, but this seems to work really well for me. doesn't give the snipers enough time to re-bid.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I was under the impression when I submit a maximum bid, it would automatically show up on the screen. I.e. if the current bid is $20 and my maximum bid is $50, the screen would automatically increase to $50. Is this incorrect?

CHeers

That is incorrect. See below:

Bidder A submits bid of $20.
Bidder B submits bid of $50.

Bid price is shown as $20.50.

eBay will automatically match/beat bids up to your maximum bid as other bids come in.

One thing that I try and do is not bid in even increments. I've won a couple of auctions by having bid something like $50.73 which will edge out a last second sniper bidding whole numbers.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If i want to bid on multiple items, can I retract a bid if my heart is set on one item versus another? I.e. I bid $50 on two different listings but I decide I only want one of them, can I retract my bid for the other listing?
Cheers

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
If i want to bid on multiple items, can I retract a bid if my heart is set on one item versus another? I.e. I bid $50 on two different listings but I decide I only want one of them, can I retract my bid for the other listing?
Cheers

No you cannot do that. At least not per official eBay policy. It's a PITA to get bids cancelled even if you have a legitamate reason (seller changed terms of auction, did not accurately describe item), so I would recommend you get very acquainted with the watch list.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
One thing that I try and do is not bid in even increments. I've won a couple of auctions by having bid something like $50.73 which will edge out a last second sniper bidding whole numbers.
yes, i do this too. it's ridiculous, but it seems to work.
Cheers

i don't believe this is allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads