• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Southland (NBC/TNT)

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody here watching Southland? I don't watch many cop dramas, but this one is, IMO, the best out there. Easily my favorite drama (next to Mad Men).

Anyone from LA can attest to its authenticity, as far as the locations and overall accuracy is concerned. For example, I hate to see shows/movies start out in Santa Monica and have them driving around Downtown LA 5 seconds later.

The ending to last night's episode was shocking and brutal in so many ways. It really caught me off-guard and sort of bummed me out...which is a testament to the writing.

Pinhas

Reaction score
Seen the first few eps when it originnaly air on NBC; then forgot aobut it bit I am happy TNT picked it up. From the little I saw it looks good. I will go back and watch it somewhere down the line.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started watching it two weeks ago. I'm about halfway through season 2. I like it, but I wish the seasons were longer. 6-7 episodes a season is too short!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How does it compare to The Wire and The Shield?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7

Not even close. But I think the Wire is the GOAT. That said, I really enjoy Southland. One of the four tv shows I watch.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7

Come on; nothing really compares to those two. They're the absolute top.

Southland is very good, though. NBC is stupid for letting it go.

sexandcandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Anyone from LA can attest to its authenticity, as far as the locations and overall accuracy is concerned.

So true. I was walking around downtown last weekend as part of the weekend art walk and all I could think is that it feels like an episode of Southland lol.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last nites episode was fucked up....really great episode.....

there are two characters i could do without....and unfortunately.... they are still there.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limping_decorum
last nites episode was fucked up....really great episode.....

there are two characters i could do without....and unfortunately.... they are still there.

YES!! The end just comes out of nowhere and goes from 0-1,000 instantly. My jaw just DROPPED. Maybe because I've become so invested in the characters, but that was one of the most intense scenes I've seen in a long time.

And another yes to the characters...I'm guessing one of them is Regina Prince's new partner? What a c-word.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YES!! The end just comes out of nowhere and goes from 0-1,000 instantly. My jaw just DROPPED. Maybe because I've become so invested in the characters, but that was one of the most intense scenes I've seen in a long time.

And another yes to the characters...I'm guessing one of them is Regina Prince's new partner? What a c-word.

dewey is the other one.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sexandcandy
So true. I was walking around downtown last weekend as part of the weekend art walk and all I could think is that it feels like an episode of Southland lol.

Definitely. There are a couple times when the situation/location don't make sense (the bank shootout on Hollywood & Ivar was actually a shootout in front of the Scientology center...haha), but for the most part, when the setting requires them to be in gang infested South Central, they're in gang infested south central.

Even simple things like the standoff with the guy on PCP yesterday...that was shot right under the Gold Line on Alameda in China Town. The next scene when they're getting on the freeway after the standoff is the Alameda on-ramp to the 101...it's so spot on, I'm starting to wonder if they have a continuity/authenticity consultant making sure it's done right.

Oh, and they ate at 7 Mares after that
inlove.gif
Even the ghetto cop food spots are on point.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my wife and i got creeped out when the guy from OC almost hooked up with the blond cop that looked like the mom from the OC.

plus the guy from the OC who now plays a cop almost feels like the "continuation" of the character from ryan from the OC.

I love the fact that they have every episode up for free on TNT.com

plus (spoiler alert) it takes after The Wire where it has no mercy on the main characters... as evidenced by last nights episode.

Definitely. There are a couple times when the situation/location don't make sense (the bank shootout on Hollywood & Ivar was actually a shootout in front of the Scientology center...haha), but for the most part, when the setting requires them to be in gang infested South Central, they're in gang infested south central.

Even simple things like the standoff with the guy on PCP yesterday...that was shot right under the Gold Line on Alameda in China Town. The next scene when they're getting on the freeway after the standoff is the Alameda on-ramp to the 101...it's so spot on, I'm starting to wonder if they have a continuity/authenticity consultant making sure it's done right.

Oh, and they ate at 7 Mares after that
inlove.gif
Even the ghetto cop food spots are on point.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling the next 2-3 episodes are going to center around cracking some serious skullage on the streets of LA.

They practically turned the city upside down looking for a cop's gun a season or two ago...I can't imagine what they're going to do now that...
Nate was brutally murdered

I'm still a little fuzzy on what the motive was for doing that. I know it goes back to getting the witness to testify, but ultimately it was her that made the decision. Did she testify and then go back to her (obviously gang affiliated) boyfriend and say "it wasn't me! It was the cop that made me do it!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads