• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

second thoughts-sizing

pipprovis

Reaction score
After some reading it seems you guys know your stuff so here is my query:

I recently (yesterday) ordered 2 shirts from CT and 1 from TM Lewin. These are my first orders of British shirts and to this date I only have experience with "American" sized slim fit dress shirts (so far so good). I ordered slim fit with 17.5 neck and 34.5 sleeve (after alteration) from these establishments. I have been reading about sizing on here and now I am concerned. I have a 48 inch chest, 41 inch waist, and wear a 50 jacket. Do I need to change my order? Would an 18 neck fit any better? Should I get regular and just have them taken in here in America? I really like the style of these shirts so I want to find a way to own them but have them fit nicely. Any and all help is appreciated.

P.S. - How long do I have to change/cancel the oders? How soon do they usually ship out?

Tomboys

Reaction score
Get a fabric tape measure and measure your neck size. Wrap it around your neck (just below your adam's apple). Pull the tape comfortably around your neck--don't let it sag and don't choke yourself. From there, stick a finger between the tape and your neck. Whatever number shows up is the neck size you should order. If it's between sizes, go to the larger. One caveat is that some makers produce shirt neck sizes that are a little larger than what is stated to allow for shrinkage. Sometimes the shirts don't shrink as much, sometimes they shrink more, so it's hard to say if the neck sizes end up being "exact". I have no experience with these two brands, so I cannot comment what the outcome will be.

Based on your body measurements, it appears the CT slim fitted shirts will provide ample room for you even if it shrinks some. Heck, depending on how "fitted" you like your shirts, it appears you could fit their tailored shirts if you desired.

The only concern I have is the sleeve length. I can't say for sure, but 34.5 seems a little short for someone with your body dimensions. Also, because how they launder is unknown at this point, I feel it's safer to err longer because you can always shorten them. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to lengthen them.

As far as changing your order, I would send them an email immediately to either hold or cancel your order for now and see what their response is. Double-check your "stats" to make sure of your neck and sleeve measurements ASAP and go from there.

pipprovis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomboys
Get a fabric tape measure and measure your neck size. Wrap it around your neck (just below your adam's apple). Pull the tape comfortably around your neck--don't let it sag and don't choke yourself. From there, stick a finger between the tape and your neck. Whatever number shows up is the neck size you should order. If it's between sizes, go to the larger. One caveat is that some makers produce shirt neck sizes that are a little larger than what is stated to allow for shrinkage. Sometimes the shirts don't shrink as much, sometimes they shrink more, so it's hard to say if the neck sizes end up being "exact". I have no experience with these two brands, so I cannot comment what the outcome will be.

Based on your body measurements, it appears the CT slim fitted shirts will provide ample room for you even if it shrinks some. Heck, depending on how "fitted" you like your shirts, it appears you could fit their tailored shirts if you desired.

The only concern I have is the sleeve length. I can't say for sure, but 34.5 seems a little short for someone with your body dimensions. Also, because how they launder is unknown at this point, I feel it's safer to err longer because you can always shorten them. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to lengthen them.

As far as changing your order, I would send them an email immediately to either hold or cancel your order for now and see what their response is. Double-check your "stats" to make sure of your neck and sleeve measurements ASAP and go from there.

Thanks Tomboys. I have decided to try my luck and wait for their arrival (the TM Lewin shirt has already shipped, a fact I found out moments ago). I guess if things don't go well I can try out these companies' "exceptional" return policies. The arm length is accurate I think. I buy the 34/35 off the rack shirts and they fit ok. I recently purchased a BB shirt with 34" sleaves and it fits ok so far (haven't laundered it yet, might dry clean it anyway). Again thanks for the advice; I am excited about these shirts.

bjornb17

Reaction score
isnt slim fit with 18" neck and 41" waist an oxymoron? Are you just a really big buff guy?

pipprovis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
isnt slim fit with 18" neck and 41" waist an oxymoron? Are you just a really big buff guy?

I see your point. Yeah, I spend a few hours a week in the gym. I do like the way the slim fit shirts fit though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads