• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
Sharp shoes Porter.

The more I see real life examples of plain toe Aldens, the more I love them. I kinda punked out last year and bought Florsheim Imperial plain toes in Burgundy, but after seeing these pix I can't get the Alden #8 plain toes out of my head.

Have been wanting a #8 plain toe boot forever. Plaza last, anyone?

Originally Posted by interlockingny
Very nice shoes. If you would have told me those were Ravello PTBs I would have believed you
laugh.gif

Light-ish carpet, probably the auto white balance on the camera. Also those look new-ish, and newer ravello and whiskey have been slightly darker than in the past, I think. A welcome change from Horween. Their previous whiskey was a little too butterscotch for me. Heresy, I know.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Cordo #8 Smooths, right out of the box. Not sure how I managed to live without these for so long

alden.jpg

ID on the socks?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Have been wanting a #8 plain toe boot forever. Plaza last, anyone?

I just put down a deposit at J. Gilbert on a pair of #8 high boots on the plaza last w/ commando sole. Yenni said they'll be around in the fall. Can't wait.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was home for lunch and shot this. Whiskey LW, Whiskey PTB, and Ravello LW boot. The Whiskey LW's haven't been worn yet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

enigma77

Reaction score

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These whisky shots are making me committ to buying the Alden whisky longwings this weekend from Epaulet.

I'm working towards building a versatile shoe collection that will last for years... Here is what I am trying to achieve (shoes already owned in bold)

Work
Alden #8 Lonwings
Ralph Lauren Darlton Cordovan Wingtip (hopefully on sale)
Alden Whisky Longwings
Church's Black Consul (need to stop wearing these so much)
Alden Black Cordovan Leisure Handsewn Moccasin
Alden #8 Smooth

Play
Red Wing 8146
Alden J. Crew or Leather Soul Indy
Wolverine 1000 Mile Black
Church's Sahara Suede Brown
LL Bean Waxed Canvas Maine Hunting Shoe in Navy
Quoddy Maliseet Oxford in Peanut
Quoddy Blutcher in Black w Gum Sole
Alden Suede Plain Toe Blutcher in Navy or Tan
Quoddy or Sperry Chukkas

If anyone has any of these shoes in 10/10.5 they want to get rid of, lemme know

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is "smooth" a term that has been invented in the past 3 days? I never heard it before to describe a PTB

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also Alcibiades I would certainly buy anything cigar or ravello (like longwings) before whiskey.

framus

Reaction score
Well I got the call to pickup my (Barrie) Ravello WT boots from AldenDC today, they had received them back from relasting to width E. Still tight a bit in the area where I have a bump in the bunion area, but Kathy suggested to immerse the boots in the bathtub getting them soaked with water and wearing them to stretch. They are so nice there and I am fortunate to have them just down the street. They are expecting Indy Color 8 some time in the future (Trubalance) I told her to put me on the list.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
also Alcibiades I would certainly buy anything cigar or ravello (like longwings) before whiskey.

Yeah, I've seen you post this before. You arely wear the whiskey, right? It seems like it does the best for casual wear; if I am going wear it casually, I may as well get the J Crew Tobacco Aldens, which seem to be a good substitue (though shell is pretty amazing). The only issue with cigar/ravello in Alden is that I think I may like the Ralph Lauren Darlton "dark brown" cordovan color a bit more.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Y eah, I've seen you post this before. You arely wear the whiskey, right? It seems like it does the best for casual wear; if I am going wear it casually, I may as well get the J Crew Tobacco Aldens, which seem to be a good substitue (though shell is pretty amazing).
I dont own any whiskeys currently, though I have ordered some, and never ended up keeping them. it's mainly that I'm trying not to be a shoe collector: my ideal is 5 or so pairs that each get tons of wear, whether its for work or weekends or whatever. whiskey is just harder to wear with enough things that it's hard to justify for me. any other color would get more wear. if you are ok with 10 or 15 or more pairs, then more power to you, it's just that for me, right now anyways, whiskey is just a luxury I don't need. I could justify ravello or cigar or the RL dark brown color no problem, though
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
The only issue with cigar/ravello in Alden is that I think I may like the Ralph Lauren Darlton "dark brown" cordovan color a bit more.
me too. I think the RL color is closer to cigar than ravello though.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
is "smooth" a term that has been invented in the past 3 days? I never heard it before to describe a PTB

That term has been around decades. It's what I've always known that shoe as well before Style Forum existed, it was a popular shoe worn by late 60s English working class kids and they called them "Smooths" or "smooth caps" (even there is no cap). I've been referring to them this week so that's probably why all of the sudden it seems like a new term has been invented, when in reality it's a really old term

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
That term has been around decades. It's what I've always known that shoe as well before Style Forum existed, it was a popular shoe worn by late 60s English working class kids and they called them "Smooths" or "smooth caps" (even there is no cap). I've been referring to them this week so that's probably why all of the sudden it seems like a new term has been invented, when in reality it's a really old term

Nice, thanks for the info. I had the same question...though I definitely didn't object to the term since the shoes are smooth one way or the other.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ah, cool, ty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads