• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking care of Black Leather Dress Shoes

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use leather cleaner and conditioner on that type of shoe you describe, not polish.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Quick Dirty Instructions use a tooth brush (or the small circle brush you can buy at shoe stores) to spread a thin (very thin) layer of polish/cream over your shoe. let it dry for 15-20 minutes Brush with a large horse hair brush to get rid of the big chunks then "sand" the shoe down with a cotton T-shirt or strip of cotton cloth. Just stretch the cloth between your 2 hands and rub the shoe down. Simple and easy. Condition ever so often If you use wax, strip it every 6 month or so to let the leather breath.
spam[1].gif
These are Army instructions, circa 1939, possibly even from World War 1 era.

ktrp

Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, those shoes are not resoleable, so they only need to survive maybe 200 wearings before they will hit the trash anyway.

A little cheap conditioner once in a while, meltonian to cover up scrapes that show through, and a wax polish if you _want_ a little more shine should keep them looking presentable and ensure that the soles go before the top cracks.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like this needs to be brought up again: EG uses Kiwi when making their shoes. Yes, Kiwi. Which is a perfectly good polish. There actually IS a reason it's sold in every drugstore on the planet, after all.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FashionFadz
As well as using the right cream polish and/or conditioner, it a cedar shoe tree is a inexpensive item and a great investment. They help maintain the shape of your shoes and prevent cracking. They also absorb moisture which may avoid the white marks.

I don't think shoe trees will help much with those shoes... But they will be useful later on when he buys better ones.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
spam[1].gif
These are Army instructions, circa 1939, possibly even from World War 1 era.

Shoe Maintenance haven't changed much since 1939 either
smile.gif

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Highly recommend a bottle of Lexol ($5-6) and a tin of Kiwi ($2) and you are good to go. Combine them with a rag and a horsehair brush ($10) and you have the start of a shoe shine kit that will last you for years.

+1 on this for a college kid. You don't need to be spending money on (or even learning about) obscure and expensive shoe polish. Meltonian is a creme (cream?) and works fine. Cremes have more luster and less shine than wax-based polishes such as Kiwi, but Kiwi will do you fine and it's less goopy than a cream, so a little less messy. I would recommend two rags, one to put on the polish (using one finger) and one for buffing. Or you can buy a horsehair dauber for about $2.50. Another tip, and this may seem extreme, but I wear a cheap surgical gloves on the hand applying the polish. That **** is a ***** to get out of the tip of your finger. Good luck.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Shoe Maintenance haven't changed much since 1939 either
smile.gif

I disagree. There are wonderful products available today that didn't exist in 1939.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by osborn
patrick

i think this guy is not a serious poster. Actually unless he is marsupialed he is making you look marsupialed.

You have 2000+ posts on here and you cant smell a troll?

Spoken by somebody with 2 posts.

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
Yes, I did.
I was interviewing for a cardiac surgery job and was on my second interview and noticed that my brown shoes were in dire need of a polish. I was in a smaller town and it was late at night. The practice I was interviewing with had left a fruit basket at the hotel as a welcoming gift. I ate the banana as a snack and polished my shoes with the peel. Wasn't perfect looking and I wouldn't do it again, but the shoes looked far better than before.
I also made sure to polish my shoes before I went out on more interviews....was overworked and sleep deprived and didn't notice the browns were that bad off.

raditude

Reaction score
I always rub down my danskos with a peel before heading to the cathlab...

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiwi is perfectly fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads