• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Paging GDL. GDL to the Watch P0rn Thread.

LOL. Do I need to re-quote the 20 times I posted wrist shots of this watch?
wink.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
on a side note, I think a lot of people go gaga about certain watches only because of the brand or the unattainable.

Or maybe because they genuinely like the watch in question?
satisfied.gif

Picture6.png

Picture3-1.png

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
While I really like gdl's Longines chrono, I do prefer the design of the B+M. But, as I said earlier, $7K is ridiculous.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the B&M too. I'm a sucker for bicompax chronos and this one looks like a lot of the great vintage bicompax out there, except brand new, clean and reliable. I'd probably go for a vintage one in mint condition rather than the B&M though

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Current favorite.
JaegerMCompress.jpg
Jaeger.jpg

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JDelage
In late 98, I bought a B&M Capeland chrono, black face, great design. Then, 4 - 5 years ago, I wanted to have it checked out and I sent it to a B&M service center (it worked fine, but was starting to run a bit late). They told me the lube used had gunked up (wtf?!?!) and I would need to change the entire face of the watch - for a couple thousand dollars, IIRC. Off to eBay it went, and I bought a Seamaster instead. I'll never buy B&M again, even though I think they have very elegant design. I still like the classic Capeland and Hampton models very much.
Ummm, is this a troll? The lubricants need to be replaced every few years. Did you disclose to the buyer that the watch was damaged due to lack of proper service? Also, it sounds like the Omega is coming up on its service interval now...

NonServiam

Reaction score
Most def a repost, but here goes
biggrin.gif
I love Oyster cases, whatever name on the dial!

Klokkebilder031.jpg

totenhosen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Current favorite. [snip - pics 2 posts above]
I haven't seen a JWC I've liked on aesthetics alone but this one is quite nice. Why the 3 crowns? start/stop, reset, time-set? Does anyone have any thoughts on Steinhart? I really like their Aviation GMT Automatic and am considering it for my first mechanical. Just am not 100% on the four allen looking bolts on the top being shinier than the matter watchcase.. Also thinking it may be a tiny bit too big for my wrist (19cm all the way around, 6-6.5cm looking down at it). Also wondering about the GMT functionality - I think the fourth hand has a different dial than the third hand.. at least it seems to point to the 24 hour coordinates on the raised dial, so a 6pm position for the third hand would be 12:00 (so midday) for the fourth hand. Would that be correct or am I missing something? Photos linked directly from: http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index...D=25&lang_nr=1
1171992877Aviation%20GMT1.JPG
1190982649Aviation%20GMT%202.JPG
2100061727Aviation%20GMT%203.JPG
1332397504Aviation%20GMT%207.JPG
1450722406Aviation%20GMT%209.JPG

JDelage

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vbuskirk
Ummm, is this a troll? The lubricants need to be replaced every few years.
It wasn't in the user's manual; maybe it's common knowledge among watch enthusiasts, but I didn't know anything about it at the time. In any case, I wouldn't have expected that it would have such consequences.

totenhosen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
68rolex.jpg

1968 Rolex Oyster. My dad escaped the Vietnam War, Pol Pot's Cambodia, and the Iranian Revolution (in that order) with this on. He gave it to me for my 30th birthday.

Was your dad in the CIA or an operator or something? .. actually don't answer that I don't want to know :p -- nice rolex/sentimental value. I really like this look/period for rolex actually.

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JDelage
It wasn't in the user's manual; maybe it's common knowledge among watch enthusiasts, but I didn't know anything about it at the time. In any case, I wouldn't have expected that it would have such consequences.
First, I'm not so sure you got good advice from the person you spoke to about repairing the B&M. A quote for $2K doesn't sound right at all to me! But leaving that aside, the oil in a watch does naturally breaks down over time. The owners manuals should indicate so and recommend a suggested service interval (usually every ~3-5 years). This 'servicing' is normal, required maintenance, and it will include cleaning the movement and replacing the oils with fresh lube. Depending on watch brand, movement type, & watch maker, service costs are typically between $100 - $600. You should be able to have a common ETA movement serviced by a competent, local watchmaker for less than $150. BTW, service intervals are somewhat controversial among watch nerds. Some just wait till their watch starts running slow or erratically before bothering with it. However, if I were you, I'd spend a couple of weeks researching this on the Internet and then seriously consider having your Omega serviced in the near future. Or, you could buy a Seiko (grin). Stories of 20 year old Seikos that have never been serviced are pretty common.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vbuskirk
BTW, service intervals are somewhat controversial among watch nerds.

Yep
smile.gif

JDelage

Reaction score
I guess my 12 yr old Cartier Tank Americaine is even more overdue then, thank you.

vbuskirk

Reaction score
And quartz is a different beast than the little engines in a mechanical watch.

katiedaddy

Reaction score
Accidentally ran across this sub forum and boy am I glad to meet other watch enthusiasts. I am a diver watch collector and here is the most of my collection, sorry but all pics were taken with my droid so it's somewhat fuzzy. Hope to meet some of you at WUS!

IMG_20110126_091811.jpg

IMG_20110119_124107.jpg

IMG_20110119_080430.jpg

IMG_20101213_093346.jpg

IMG_20101015_105241.jpg

IMG_20100914_141635.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads