• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
I'll start with Villa Malaparte

Wow. Amazing location.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Gehry's design for the New World Symphony campus in Miami looks very interesting.

--Andre

4 reviews from today.
I wonder if 'Bron and the Gang are going to the opening tomorrow night....

L A Times

N Y Times

WSJ

Miami Herald

6a00d8341c630a53ef0147e1e6034b970b-500wi

GEHRY-2-articleLarge.jpg

ED-AM928_gehryn_G_20110124174226.jpg

58978352.jpg

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Are these the most tasteful seats they could get? They look like something you'd find in a shuttle bus for Sea World.
58978352.jpg

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, anyone know some good documentaries or television shows based around architecture? I've recently developed a major interest in it, but still photos don't do some of the places justice.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
There aren't many good ones at all. My favorite is Antonio Gaudi , 1984 film by a Japanese director. There is almost no narration at all. It's just video of his creations which focuses on all the mundane public activity that takes place around them. It's on the Criterion label.
antonio_gaudi_criterion_dvd.jpg
My next favorite is Concert of Wills: Making the Getty Center about Richard Meier making the Getty Center. You get to witness all the interesting bickering and politics that went on. Ken Burns has a Frank LLoyd Wright one if hyperbole and sensationalism are your thing. Rem Koolhaas has a new one called Kind of Architect where he probably shows you how to stack boxes. Sketches of Frank Gehry is fun and insightful. My Architect about Kahn is okay. Otherwise, not much.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
There aren't many good ones at all. My favorite is Antonio Gaudi , 1984 film by a Japanese director. There is almost no narration at all. It's just video of his creations which focuses on all the mundane public activity that takes place around them. It's on the Criterion label.

My next favorite is Concert of Wills: Making the Getty Center about Richard Meier making the Getty Center. You get to witness all the interesting bickering and politics that went on. Ken Burns has a Frank LLoyd Wright one if hyperbole and sensationalism are your thing. Rem Koolhaas has a new one called Kind of Architect where he probably shows you how to stack boxes. Sketches of Frank Gehry is fun and insightful. My Architect about Kahn is okay. Otherwise, not much.

Agree. It's depressing how few good videos there are, in this day and age. I agree with your comments re: those you listed as well.

But don't you think that Rem shows us how to stack re-programmable boxes???
baldy[1].gif

To the OP: it's a pretty barren landscape. Occasionally Charlie Rose has interesting interviews. And you can always sift here and see if something piques your interest.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
But don't you think that Rem shows us how to stack re-programmable boxes???
baldy[1].gif

So that's the revelation he spent five books explaining? I've been missing out. I'll investigate further.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
i heard someone wanted to make a documentary about eric owen moss but the title Baby Man was already taken.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So that's the revelation he spent five books explaining? I've been missing out. I'll investigate further.

Rumor has it that the concept will be more fully flushed out in the upcoming new book "Really, really, really tiny; XXXXS; XXXS; XXS; XS; S (v. 2.0); M (v. 2.0); L (v. 2.0); XL (v. 2.0); XXL; XXXL; XXXL; Super-duper huge".

Reportedly the book will consist of over 2,500,000 stacked pages, so there should be more room to explain the idea.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
i heard someone wanted to make a documentary about eric owen moss but the title Baby Man was already taken.

Doc is being re-titled to "EOM emo: The Amazing Life and Stupendous Career of a [the] Samitaur Boy Toy".

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the list. I'm somewhat surprised by the dearth of good movies. I've been more an more entranced by architecture lately, and had assumed it would be a fairly popular subject. In university my roommates and I always had Discovery on, so things like How It's Made, and worlds largest construction projects were always playing, and I assumed there would be a show similar in vein to that. Ah well, I'll definitely check this stuff out.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just signed up for this forum, and this is a great thread. Lots of excellent stuff. There are many, many buildings I'd love to post, but since this is a style forum (OK, THE Style Forum), I'll start with Villa Malaparte, Capri, Godard, and BB. From the film "Contempt".

I just saw this in a book I was flipping through yesterday and recognized it from Le Mepris.

excerpt: "Malaparte, with an initial helping hand from Adalbert Libera, chose the site for his house with infinite care. It sicks on a rock jutting into the sea and was designed to represent the mind and body of Malaparte himself. In this sense, the Casa Malaparte is an intensely personal design and owes precious little to contemporary architectural currents. ... The plan of the house is distinctly unusual: the Acropolis-like stair leads on to the roof of the house- for sunbathing and views - rather than to the entrance which is all but hidden bellow. Bedrooms are like cells. The living room is vast and washed in the shimmering light of the sea. The building is now owned by the Casa Malaparte Association. No one else has lived here since Malaparte's death.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these the most tasteful seats they could get? They look like something you'd find in a shuttle bus for Sea World.

58978352.jpg

Gehry probably designed that pattern himself. He did it for WDCH to honor Lillian Disney who put up the initial $50M for the hall, and loved flowers. They used the pattern for the carpets as well:

KMD06DisneyConcertHallTour_005.jpg

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads