• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF NYC Meetup Dicussion

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
I suggest we schedule a StyleForum meetup to check out the WvG suits.
Graphic Novelty, would you like to do the honors of planning?

Will they be ready by April 31st?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I suggest we schedule a StyleForum meetup to check out the WvG suits.
Graphic Novelty, would you like to do the honors of planning?

lol8[1].gif

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
suits won't be ready til fall. MTM is ready now I have made 10 suits to date. Please go to my wolf vs goat page for updates.

naaaaaate- funny ****.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Ok I have an honest question about the WvG suits.

Most of Thom Browne's success comes from his extremely avant-garde take on the classic suit. By combining this with extremely high quality construction and materials, he can charge high-priced suits in the $3000+ range.

My first question is: are the WvG suits going to be traditional, high-quality suits or is there going to be something extremely unique about them (i.e. "fashion-foward" suits)?

If the suits are simply going to be basic suits with minute distinguishing features like extra pockets here and there, fancy linings made of ethopian baby's scrotoms, etc, what is going to be the main motivation for a person to choose:
A) a $3600 suit at all in the current economy (even TB prices have gone down)
B) a $3600 WvG suit over something with name recognition like Canali or Zegna
?

Assuming they are more "fashion-forward" suits, what would make me (or anyone with $$ who is interested in fashion) choose a WvG suit over, for example, a Jil Sander suit in light of the fact that most of the "fashion-forward" suits from Barney's mainfloor on Madison don't even break the $2500 mark?

Also, what is the target audience for these suits and where will they be sold? I wouldn't order a bespoke or MtM suit over the internet that costs more than.....$600. I will however, spend $2500 on a junya or jil ready-to-wear suit from the internet because it can always be returned or resold.

If the plan is for a brick-and-morter, I feel there are only a few cities that could sustain that $2000+ custom suit business.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I hate to defend that guy like this but after seeing all those words typed out it's strange that you wouldn't just spend the time to read what he said instead. it's pretty obvious that the $3600 he mentioned includes the price of one of his suits and some other MG suit.

"Maybe you and the others will cough up 3,600.00 so that you can purchase a suit from me and greenfield then you can determine who makes the better suit."

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tween_spirit
I hate to defend that guy like this
Why? What's wrong with Mauro?
confused.gif

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Why? What's wrong with Mauro?
confused.gif

Nothing that I know of, I actually said that because I have no experience with him one way or the other.

I guess it came out funny though

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I see. He's one of the good guys.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

Most of Thom Browne's success comes from his extremely avant-garde take on the classic suit. By combining this with extremely high quality construction and materials, he can charge high-priced suits in the $3000+ range.

really? you think that most of TB's success comes from formal skirts for men and tuxedo wet suits?

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tween_spirit
I hate to defend that guy like this but after seeing all those words typed out it's strange that you wouldn't just spend the time to read what he said instead. it's pretty obvious that the $3600 he mentioned includes the price of one of his suits and some other MG suit. "Maybe you and the others will cough up 3,600.00 so that you can purchase a suit from me and greenfield then you can determine who makes the better suit."
uhhhh it's not pretty obvious. TB suits go for upwards of $3600 and mauro is saying his suits are at TB level. regardless, 3600 is an arbitrary number. what is the incentive to drop $$$$ on a WvG suit as opposed to say a Jil or Lanvin suit? way to play devil's advocate and attempt to undermine my entire comment with one dumb answer (not that I was expecting you to answer on his behalf).
Originally Posted by mharwitt
really? you think that most of TB's success comes from formal skirts for men and tuxedo wet suits?
i think most of his success comes from shrunken suits, extremely fitted shirts with extra high arm holes, shrunken sweaters with stripes on them, etc.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

i think most of his success comes from shrunken suits, extremely fitted shirts with extra high arm holes, shrunken sweaters with stripes on them, etc.

i don't think Thom Browne innovated slim tailoring.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
Cez I grew up just outside of White Plains, where are you from?

My family is from that area, grandparents are still right in White Plains. Up there a decent amount.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
i don't think Thom Browne innovated slim tailoring.

What are you going on about? Sq4 is right - TB invented that trademark look of cropped suit jackets andd trousers in classic/grey fabrics. Whether he was the first one or not doesn't even matter, he's the one who succesfully conveyed that stylistic vision and built a business on it. Anyone trying this look now is automatically associated with / compared to TB.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Anyone trying this look now is automatically associated with / compared to TB.

i suppose that's true

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are we really paying for a brand or quality here? I wouldn't spend $2k on a OTR suit when I can get one done MTM for far less. Shouldn't we be more worried about the tailor?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads