• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amadar

Reaction score
Question: came across a few "Gianni" items in my last few thrift runs. The script looks exactly like that in the "Gianni Versace" line, but it only says "Gianni". Is this a Versace diffusion line or is it something else altogether? Quality looks pretty craptastic and I wouldn't pick it up myself, I was just curious.
DSCN0332-1.jpg

andrew96

Reaction score
Britches cashmere overcoat-$35

BrooksBrothers suit, brand new with tags $20

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
If you look at enough good shoes, they'll begin to jump off the rack at you in the thrift store.

Like that pair of Bontonis I passed on the other day, because they had a bit of a scuff on the toe and were size 13. Then I looked them up when I got home and kicked myself with a size 20 mental image of them for a few hours.
censored.gif

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartlebooth
Like that pair of Bontonis I passed on the other day, because they had a bit of a scuff on the toe and were size 13. Then I looked them up when I got home and kicked myself with a size 20 mental image of them for a few hours.
censored.gif

That comes with the territory. I recently left a pair of 1980-looking chunky climbing type boots in excellent condition, made in France IIRC. A little research led me to believe that they would have been a quick flip for a nice profit. Live and learn.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
censored.gif
baldy[1].gif
- I've passed on two of those recently! I had no idea they'd sell for that much.
cry.gif
I thought I read somewhere on here that sweaters were a tough sell...

That ranks up there with the Versace mega-eurotrash NWT's ($2495!) silk print shirt I passed on. I wasn't selling stuff back then and there was no way I was going to wear it. I probably could have bought a RLPL off of eBay for what that shirt would have sold for.

I'm sort of there now. I found 3 Brioni (+ 1 Versace) shirts this weekend. The Versace and 2 of the Brionis were cherry-picked but one of the Brionis fits. It is a 100% silk in dark brown with an all- over tan/gold chain-type pattern. The pattern isn't large and the shirt looks unworn but I can't tell if it's looks classy in a Boca Raton sort of way or if it looks like something The Situation would wear to a mob funeral. As I debate a tiny voice keeps wispering in my ear, telling me it would sell for a fortune on eBay. Thoughts anyone?

go back and get the sweaters if they are still there... one of mine is at $520 with 5 days to go
inlove.gif

your brioni shirt will probably net at least 100 bucks on Ebay, I had one a while back in pretty good condition and got like 115

csoukoulis

Reaction score
censored.gif

how much were they? im a 13 and have a hell of a time finding shoes. pm me
smile.gif

csoukoulis

Reaction score
had a pretty unbelieveable week so far highlights: kiton tie brioni tie canali tie zegna tie 8 turnbull and asser ties 2 zegna suits and a sport coat belvest wool/cashmere sportcoat brooks brothers wool/cashmere sport coat brooks brothers loro piana sport coat brooks brothers golden fleece tie (new with tag at tjmaxx LOL) polo ralph lauren benchmade in england black loafers (MINT) church's wing tips cole haan benchmade shoes (for my future father in law....little ass kissing never hurts) found a pair of aldens but had to pass on them as the leather soles were worn through
frown.gif

IronRock

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of C&J Pembroke grain off ebay last night - bit of spit and polish and they look like they are gonna come up beautiful. Now have to wait for them to arrive
smile.gif

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
That comes with the territory. I recently left a pair of 1980-looking chunky climbing type boots in excellent condition, made in France IIRC. A little research led me to believe that they would have been a quick flip for a nice profit. Live and learn.

Happened to me the other day with a pair of Alfred Sargents. Never heard of the brand before and when I looked them up here on SF, I kicked myself for leaving them behind.

Tip # 22 - When in doubt, research SF from your smartphone, BlackBerry, etc., while you're in-store. Might save you from kicking yourself later.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith

what brand were they?Moncler?

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
picked up what has to be the nicest Truzzi shirt i have ever seen

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Happened to me the other day with a pair of Alfred Sargents. Never heard of the brand before and when I looked them up here on SF, I kicked myself for leaving them behind.

Tip # 22 - When in doubt, research SF from your smartphone, BlackBerry, etc., while you're in-store. Might save you from kicking yourself later.

I don't have a smartphone, primarily because I know if I did I'd use it WAY too much. I like that when I'm away from a computer I have to do non-internet things. Thrifting may make me break that rule, for this reason alone.

Originally Posted by csoukoulis
how much were they? im a 13 and have a hell of a time finding shoes. pm me
smile.gif

Do you think I'd be bitching about passing on a pair of Bontonis if they were still there for me to get?
confused.gif
They were gone by the time I made it back.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos

You've never heard of A & S?! Doh. One of my favorite shoe makers.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Do you think I'd be bitching about passing on a pair of Bontonis if they were still there for me to get?
confused.gif
They were gone by the time I made it back.

hey, cant blame me for asking
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads