• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
To be perfectly frank, I haven't been overly impressed with Shoemart's customer service in general lately, seconds or otherwise. I sent an email to someone there who has been wonderful to work with in the past, and it went unanswered for more than two weeks. I finally called their phone number and said, "Hey, I would appreciate it if I could get a little help finding what I am looking for, and I'm happy to buy it whether the item is first or second quality. I'm only looking for one or two things." The guy on the other end said, "Oh, you want seconds, go to our website and get on the distro list," and literally hung up on me...which meant he didn't bother to listen to what came out of my mouth at all. Very annoying. After that, I followed up with the party I originally emailed and suggested two weeks seemed like more-than-adequate time to have followed up with any customer - much less one who has spent thousands of dollars with them over the years - and described my phone experience, and he gave a disappointing, non-responsive answer, which basically consisted of: "So what?" I understand people are busy, as we all are, and I certainly don't expect instant responses or gratification. And Aldens don't grow on trees and I certainly love their product, but if Shoemart can't be bothered with their customers, no problem. They're not the only show in town and I'd sooner wait and pay more to spend my money with other retailers where I am treated like gold.
+1 on this. I have had the same experience lately. Not too impressed. However, Bryan as LSBH has been great and so has Yenni over at JGilbert.

Dexter_

Reaction score
^Always had good experience with SM in the past. Yenni at JGilbert and the rest of the crew at LS are top notch. I have to add Steven at Leffot as well. The guy knows his stuff!
smile.gif

phailing101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
The 974 Wingtip is on the Tremont Last
The 975 Longwing is on the Barrie Last

From my experience, I have found that both fit similarly (1/2 size large).

Thanks.

I was quite surprised by the Barrie Last being so large but I've learned my lesson! I've honestly never tried on a shoe that fits that much bigger than its marked size!

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rick
i have never had a problem with shoemart sorry to hear you did. i also speak to joe who is one of the owners. maybe give him a call.

Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
+1 on this. I have had the same experience lately. Not too impressed.

However, Bryan as LSBH has been great and so has Yenni over at JGilbert.

Originally Posted by Dexter_
^Always had good experience with SM in the past. Yenni at JGilbert and the rest of the crew at LS are top notch. I have to add Steven at Leffot as well. The guy knows his stuff!
smile.gif

Thanks, guys. I have had excellent experiences for years with SM. The only reason I mentioned all of this here is because it just seemed like they forgot about customer service.

I've dealt with Steven, Bryan and Yenni and they've each been wonderful. Couldn't agree more.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
Thanks, guys. I have had excellent experiences for years with SM. The only reason I mentioned all of this here is because it just seemed like they forgot about customer service.

I've dealt with Steven, Bryan and Yenni and they've each been wonderful. Couldn't agree more.

Do you have pics of the Chamois Indy?

FENWAY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
and another question: whast the best way to get seconds from shoemart?

Roadtrip. I stumbled in there a couple weeks ago as they were unpacking some fresh seconds. Snagged a couple pair of boots, 10% off no less. It was like getting some fragrant Alden shoe trees for free!

marg

Reaction score
I've heard that cordovan shoes fit looser than calfskin. If my foot is ~EE in the Trubalance, would a cordo E longwing fit? i hate this mail order shoe-shopping nonsense...

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marg
I've heard that cordovan shoes fit looser than calfskin. If my foot is ~EE in the Trubalance, would a cordo E longwing fit? i hate this mail order shoe-shopping nonsense...

I would say no. Since the TruBalance last is the widest of the Alden lasts, I would guess you would probably be an EE on the Barrie last (the usual last for longwings).

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
I would say no. Since the TruBalance last is the widest of the Alden lasts, I would guess you would probably be an EE on the Barrie last (the usual last for longwings).

Agree. For reference, I take a 10D in Barrie. In Trubalance, I wear 10D, but have been advised that I might be better suited to 10C. So with Barrie, either go up a width or stay the same. The vast majority of people take the same size and width in both Trubalance and Barrie.

marg

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. Wow, this is annoying. To get a cordo shoe I will have to special order. Yikes.

borderline

Reaction score
Given the persistent inquiries about last sizes, does someone want to volunteer to put together a table with the lasts and typical fits? I haven't tried enough lasts to do this, nor do I want to wade through 9500 posts for the info already in the thread.

framus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Agree. For reference, I take a 10D in Barrie. In Trubalance, I wear 10D, but have been advised that I might be better suited to 10C. So with Barrie, either go up a width or stay the same. The vast majority of people take the same size and width in both Trubalance and Barrie.

The problem with Barrie lasted cordo boots is they are either D width or NO width!
plain.gif

I just sent a pair of 10D Barrie Ravello WTs back to Alden to get relasted wider, slightly too tight and causing irritation on a bunion toe that I didn't know I had till now. AldenDC said they wouldn't be quite E width, more D.5. If it works, I'll just make it a habit of purchasing a shoe/boot and sending it straight back to the factory to be resized as E width. Since there is no charge, there is no reason not to. Hope it works.

I have worn my AF43 Trubalance boots everyday to work for 1.5 years, the heel insole, I think is worn out and I haven't seen any good replacements on the market. For those who haven't seen this, it is a anti-fungal, anti-odor green foam thingy, but it is topped with very nice leather. It is very comfortable. A question. I'm guessing I have to call Alden to purchase a new one as I haven't seen replacements offered at any of the Alden dealers?

Great site and great information, thanks to all.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Given the persistent inquiries about last sizes, does someone want to volunteer to put together a table with the lasts and typical fits? I haven't tried enough lasts to do this, nor do I want to wade through 9500 posts for the info already in the thread.

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/fitting.htm

The information provided here is pretty clear, but it doesn't address the differences in widths of each last. Allen Edmonds' website does a better job of describing their lasts.

rabidawg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by framus
If it works, I'll just make it a habit of purchasing a shoe/boot and sending it straight back to the factory to be resized as E width. Since there is no charge, there is no reason not to. Hope it works.

They don't charge for re-lasting?
eh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads