• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

salt water aquariums?

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
any one keep them?

I use to be obsessed with coral reef tanks but just like a raging coke fiend, there comes a time where you have to sober up and go cold turkey.

but I'm jonzin, any spare a taste/pic of the good stuff?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think coral and the harsh colors of the fish under neon lights are ugly. Most saltwater tanks look the same too. Look into fresh.

takashi_amano_01.jpg

15.jpg

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
oh I've had plenty of freshwater and planted tanks too. really the only thing I haven't kept are Discus.

Brian1976

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I think coral and the harsh colors of the fish under neon lights are ugly. Most saltwater tanks look the same too. Look into fresh.

takashi_amano_01.jpg

15.jpg

Where is the filtration on those tanks? I've got a planted tank right now, those two are amazing though.

I do however want to get a salt water tank eventually, just so I can have one of these guys:

3503985413_7c4812d074_b.jpg

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
the filtration is likely drilled and plumbed from the bottom... although its hard to say WTF they do for some real high end builds

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cant say for sure. They are from Takashi Amano, widely regarded as the best Aquarist today. He makes his own line of products too.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Adana place is on Filmore in San Francisco. I used to walk past that place and decided to duck in one day. I must admit at the time, I really didn't get it. I had a reef tank at the time so my vision of a aquarium was always live coral, a clam and anything else that had glow qualities. I made the mistake of getting a sea slug. It got sucked into one of the current pumps and because of it's poisonous properties, it killed off my entire tank. I've been thinking of setting a tank up again but it's so expensive and time consuming.
I can now appreciate the "aqua forest" tanks and am going to go to the shop soon to see if I can learn anything, possibly set one up.

theguy

Reaction score
It's a decent amount of work, money, and stress if your taking care of it. I had a 55 gallon long with all sorts of coral and spent around 5k within the first 6 months. It was more of a pain then pleasure. It all ended when I went away for the weekend and my anemone died and my whole tank got poisoned. I might get back into it eventually but im just going to stick to fresh water.
Heres some picks from my tank.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13960219@N08/1469099826/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13960219@N08/1469099812/

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aquariums seem to be more of a hassle than they're worth. Especially for the money required to start up and maintain them...However some of those are just beautiful.

For me, I'd rather get into Bonsai.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Salt water is just too expensive and time consuming. Freshwater fish also handle neglect a bit better lol

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both require the same amount of effort and care.

I'm selling a few bonsai trees that I won't be taking with me to SF if you're interested.

lefty

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Both require the same amount of effort and care.

Saltwater vs. fresh? Not even. Fresh water is so much easier than salt.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess. But these new planted FW tanks require about as much gear as a reef tank to set up and maintain.

That's what I liked my old Tanganyikian tanks: water, substrate, rocks and fish.

I prefer the behavior of the cichlids as well and these planted tanks need a passive schooling fish to be successful.

lefty

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OH well, that gorgeous tank linked above is not the typical case for freshwater hehe.

I loved me some African Cichlids, but man could they destroy a nice setup with their constant need to dig.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really think the best salt and fresh water tanks are very cool- always been enamored by them... but I need to win the lottery and pay somebody to manage it... I tried a very basic fresh water tank years ago and just don't have the patience for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads