• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franky

Reaction score
Got a navy 2 button sportcoat with brass buttons from a local goodwill. E. Zegna. Will post pics if anyone wants to see, almost perfect condition, fits like a glove, and was only 8 bucks! Probably my first good thrift too. :)

odiv

Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but I always want to see pics.

Franky

Reaction score
Crappy phone pics:
cbvs8w2kkgrhqnjue0cngyd.jpg
img20110124004740.jpg

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
thats it?
thats just warming up

My area is extremely limited in opportunity. It only takes me 45-60 mins to look through an entire Men's Clothing portion of a shop and I've only got three locations.

I would gladly spend a whole day if I had more to look at.

hyakku

Reaction score
Any advice from the veterans for finding the gems when it comes to shoes? I've been pouring over the stickies and searching, but I'm not yet experienced enough to remember all the names of good designers or go by feel alone, and I'm pretty sure I've already passed on some nice AE's or something similar because I couldn't read the sole and can't possibly remember all the various combos of lettering inside of the shoe without having a list in front of me. Any pointers would be appreciated as I'm finding more info on various makers and materials in the stickies rather than how to find the rare ones while out thrifting.

There was also a pair of what I believe were Cole Haan's that looked pretty nice at a local GW for cheap, but I wasn't sure about the brand even though the quality seemed pretty sturdy and they were pretty well preserved.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
FYI: Look at my ebay auctions: http://shop.ebay.com/crazearcade/m.h..._from=&_ipg=25

See those hideous sweaters? I was just offered $1,100 for all 4 of them. If you see old RL sweaters with big images on them, BUY THEM.

censored.gif
baldy[1].gif
- I've passed on two of those recently! I had no idea they'd sell for that much.
cry.gif
I thought I read somewhere on here that sweaters were a tough sell...

That ranks up there with the Versace mega-eurotrash NWT's ($2495!) silk print shirt I passed on. I wasn't selling stuff back then and there was no way I was going to wear it. I probably could have bought a RLPL off of eBay for what that shirt would have sold for.

I'm sort of there now. I found 3 Brioni (+ 1 Versace) shirts this weekend. The Versace and 2 of the Brionis were cherry-picked but one of the Brionis fits. It is a 100% silk in dark brown with an all- over tan/gold chain-type pattern. The pattern isn't large and the shirt looks unworn but I can't tell if it's looks classy in a Boca Raton sort of way or if it looks like something The Situation would wear to a mob funeral. As I debate a tiny voice keeps wispering in my ear, telling me it would sell for a fortune on eBay. Thoughts anyone?

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hyakku
Any advice from the veterans for finding the gems when it comes to shoes? I've been pouring over the stickies and searching, but I'm not yet experienced enough to remember all the names of good designers or go by feel alone, and I'm pretty sure I've already passed on some nice AE's or something similar because I couldn't read the sole and can't possibly remember all the various combos of lettering inside of the shoe without having a list in front of me. Any pointers would be appreciated as I'm finding more info on various makers and materials in the stickies rather than how to find the rare ones while out thrifting.

There was also a pair of what I believe were Cole Haan's that looked pretty nice at a local GW for cheap, but I wasn't sure about the brand even though the quality seemed pretty sturdy and they were pretty well preserved.

Spend some time browsing at stores that sell nice shoes. Familiarize yourself with what the classic models look like, what nice leather feels like, etc. If you look at enough good shoes, they'll begin to jump off the rack at you in the thrift store.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
.....but one of the Brionis fits. It is a 100% silk in dark brown with an all- over tan/gold chain-type pattern. The pattern isn't large and the shirt looks unworn but I can't tell if it's looks classy in a Boca Raton sort of way or if it looks like something The Situation would wear to a mob funeral. As I debate a tiny voice keeps wispering in my ear, telling me it would sell for a fortune on eBay. Thoughts anyone?

I am estimating that there is about a 0.0001% chance that you would ever wear that shirt. So sell it.

hyakku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Spend some time browsing at stores that sell nice shoes. Familiarize yourself with what the classic models look like, what nice leather feels like, etc. If you look at enough good shoes, they'll begin to jump off the rack at you in the thrift store.

THanks, been trying to do that, I guess I should try to find out which are the better brands, as Nordstrom's and whatnot all seemed to have very similar shoes / materials except a few that I could tell, but there's no rush, it's a process I'm learning lol.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THanks, been trying to do that, I guess I should try to find out which are the better brands, as Nordstrom's and whatnot all seemed to have very similar shoes / materials except a few that I could tell, but there's no rush, it's a process I'm learning lol.

Back to what is said, one more time. If it fits, comfortable, good looking and in good shape, why would you worry about the brand?

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky
Got a navy 2 button sportcoat with brass buttons from a local goodwill. E. Zegna. Will post pics if anyone wants to see, almost perfect condition, fits like a glove, and was only 8 bucks! Probably my first good thrift too. :)

Good find.

hyakku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
You live in the US? Look for Aldens and Allen-Edmonds of any age, and older Florsheims, Cole Haans, and Johnston & Murphys. Polo Ralph Lauren shoes are good too if they're Made in England. Those are the best shoes you're most likely to find in thrift stores.

Yes I do, and thanks, this is exactly the basis I was looking for. Perusing the stickies has been helpful but trying to separate 50 different shoe makers into various groups and whatnot was proving difficult.

I think I'm going to go take another look st those Cole haans loafers I saw. I guess I should start trusting my own sensibilities.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I do, and thanks, this is exactly the basis I was looking for. Perusing the stickies has been helpful but trying to separate 50 different shoe makers into various groups and whatnot was proving difficult.

I think I'm going to go take another look st those Cole haans loafers I saw. I guess I should start trusting my own sensibilities.

The best Cole Haans were made in England as well. Some of the made-in-USA ones are decent, but there's a whole lot of junk too. And as far as I've seen, most of the made-in-Italy CHs are worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads