• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

converge

Reaction score
How does the medium duffle handle when it's not fully loaded? Does it somewhat keep its shape? I have a 257 that I use as a work/day bag but I need something for the weekend. I've been looking at both the medium duffle and the large travel bag. They both have the same height/depth measurements but the duffle is 25" long whereas the travel bag is only 20" long. I'd like the versatility of the longer duffle (could be used for week long trips) but I'm afraid it's too big for just weekend use.

Keyboard Warrior

Reaction score
Length wise will hold, but due to the design of the handles it compresses the bag height making it look shriveled. To get that perfect filled look you should load it completely

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some pics if anyone is interested of a zippered tote bag, a small field bag and a dopp kit:

dsc9035b.jpg

dsc9036.jpg

dsc9034j.jpg

dsc9038l.jpg

dsc9040.jpg

dsc9042s.jpg

dsc9041.jpg

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlieu
Anyone know any good products for the preventing the Bridle leather straps on Filson bags from cracking and drying up?
Filson boot oil.

WaterlooMike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Keyboard Warrior
Length wise will hold, but due to the design of the handles it compresses the bag height making it look shriveled. To get that perfect filled look you should load it completely

+1

It collapses a little if not loaded.

Dean Keaton

Reaction score
Do you know any place in Europe to buy the briefcases ?

I know tresbien had some, but a long time ago and their restocks are minimal. Also, guys from the customer service ar Filson told me that the shipping will cost 170 $ - just doesn't make sense.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many textbooks (casebooks) would fit in a 257 with a 15" MBP, as well.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hookem12387
How many textbooks (casebooks) would fit in a 257 with a 15" MBP, as well.

I believe you can find your answer in Post #1 of this thread. The OP did a very nice job of taking pictures of the 257 bag.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Filson boot oil.

Will this keep the straps dark? Mine are very light after 15 years of use. I liked the contrast of them against the cloth when they are newer.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMAG0292.jpg
IMAG0291.jpg
Sorry for the ****** cell phone pics

NotDickDiver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Some pics if anyone is interested of a zippered tote bag, a small field bag and a dopp kit:

With regards to the small field bag, hoe much does it hold? it seems extremely small. Can you post a picture of how it looks on?

B. wong

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brozek
Just to reply to/update my own post here, I've been looking for something I already own that I could compare the 220 to. I had trouble finding something comparable, until I expanded my search beyond *my* stuff. My wife's Vera Bradley Weekender bag measures 18.5L, 12H, 8W, compared to 18L, 10.5H, 11W for the 220 small duffle - so not quite as tall, but a little wider and almost the same length. I put a few things into her Weekender bag as a test and not only was it tooootally adorable, but I think the size would actually work really well.

My hesitation about the 222/medium duffle isn't the extra cost - it's that it's outside the carry-on limits for most airlines. I fly on United most of the time, and their max carry-on size is 22x14x9, or 45 linear inches. The 222 duffle is 25x14x13, or 52 linear inches. Maybe that's close enough to get by with on most flights, but I'm hesitant to risk it. I have a Duluth Pack medium safari duffle that measures 23x17x11 (51 linear inches), and man, that thing is massive. There's no way a gate agent would let me even try to put it in an overhead bin.

I have both the 220 and 222 in tan. I had the same concern as I fly a lot for weekend vacations so the small duffle works perfect for carry on (I also have the Filson rucksack for my computer, books, tolietries, etc). I use the medium duffle when I travel by car for 5-7 days on my week off. I personally feel there is NO way that the medium duffle would pass as carry on luggage. I can take some comparison pictures for you if you would like me to.

BoboMax

Reaction score
What does this mean on the Crane's website?

"Handgrip available for $10.00, installed for $20.00 (this is not a custom order)"

Every Filson 256 bag I've seen has the handle straps, is this something different?

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoboMax
What does this mean on the Crane's website?

"Handgrip available for $10.00, installed for $20.00 (this is not a custom order)"

Every Filson 256 bag I've seen has the handle straps, is this something different?

Yeah, it is the actual grip that you see on the handle straps on the 257 bag installed on the 256. Basically an additional piece of leather that makes carrying the bag by the handle straps easier. I had Crane's install one on my 256 and it was definitely worth the 20 bucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads