• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinneus

Reaction score
couldnt resist!
2w35jxh.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Love those tassel loafers.

phailing101

Reaction score
Hi guys- I just received a pair of Alden 974 Wingtip Balmorals (Color 8). They unfortunately are a 1/2 size too big so I need to return them. I have an opportunity to order these shoes again 1/2 size lower or to order the longwings 975 but I'm not sure the longwings also fit 1/2 size too large...the website indicates they do but it never warned me about the wingtips I actually ordered! Anyways, here are the two shoes I'm looking at: (1) Wingtips which fit too big: http://tonythetailoronline.com/Shell...d-974-9741.htm (2) Longwings I can order as an alternative: http://tonythetailoronline.com/Shell...Oxford-975.htm Does anyone know more about the lasts on these??

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phailing101
Hi guys- I just received a pair of Alden 974 Wingtip Balmorals (Color 8). They unfortunately are a 1/2 size too big so I need to return them.

I have an opportunity to order these shoes again 1/2 size lower or to order the longwings 975 but I'm not sure the longwings also fit 1/2 size too large...the website indicates they do but it never warned me about the wingtips I actually ordered!

Anyways, here are the two shoes I'm looking at:

(1) Wingtips which fit too big:

http://tonythetailoronline.com/Shell...d-974-9741.htm

(2) Longwings I can order as an alternative:

http://tonythetailoronline.com/Shell...Oxford-975.htm

Does anyone know more about the lasts on these??

The 974 Wingtip is on the Tremont Last
The 975 Longwing is on the Barrie Last

From my experience, I have found that both fit similarly (1/2 size large).

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
and another question: whast the best way to get seconds from shoemart?

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
and another question: whast the best way to get seconds from shoemart?

You have to call them. They'll email you a list of a specific size you want. If you try multiple sizes/widths it may take a few tries...

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I haven't been getting them regularly, and even worse I've been getting dropped size by size from the lists.

Originally Posted by rebel222
They haven't emailed them out in a while. I have contacted them, and they confirmed that the list isn't currently being circulated.

To be perfectly frank, I haven't been overly impressed with Shoemart's customer service in general lately, seconds or otherwise.

I sent an email to someone there who has been wonderful to work with in the past, and it went unanswered for more than two weeks. I finally called their phone number and said, "Hey, I would appreciate it if I could get a little help finding what I am looking for, and I'm happy to buy it whether the item is first or second quality. I'm only looking for one or two things." The guy on the other end said, "Oh, you want seconds, go to our website and get on the distro list," and literally hung up on me...which meant he didn't bother to listen to what came out of my mouth at all. Very annoying.

After that, I followed up with the party I originally emailed and suggested two weeks seemed like more-than-adequate time to have followed up with any customer - much less one who has spent thousands of dollars with them over the years - and described my phone experience, and he gave a disappointing, non-responsive answer, which basically consisted of: "So what?"

I understand people are busy, as we all are, and I certainly don't expect instant responses or gratification. And Aldens don't grow on trees and I certainly love their product, but if Shoemart can't be bothered with their customers, no problem. They're not the only show in town and I'd sooner wait and pay more to spend my money with other retailers where I am treated like gold.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What last are the Alden tassels on? I assume they fit TTS

rick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
To be perfectly frank, I haven't been overly impressed with Shoemart's customer service in general lately, seconds or otherwise.

I sent an email to someone there who has been wonderful to work with in the past, and it went unanswered for more than two weeks. I finally called their phone number and said, "Hey, I would appreciate it if I could get a little help finding what I am looking for, and I'm happy to buy it whether the item is first or second quality. I'm only looking for one or two things." The guy on the other end said, "Oh, you want seconds, go to our website and get on the distro list," and literally hung up on me...which meant he didn't bother to listen to what came out of my mouth at all. Very annoying.

After that, I followed up with the party I originally emailed and suggested two weeks seemed like more-than-adequate time to have followed up with any customer - much less one who has spent thousands of dollars with them over the years - and described my phone experience, and he gave a disappointing, non-responsive answer, which basically consisted of: "So what?"

I understand people are busy, as we all are, and I certainly don't expect instant responses or gratification. And Aldens don't grow on trees and I certainly love their product, but if Shoemart can't be bothered with their customers, no problem. They're not the only show in town and I'd sooner wait and pay more to spend my money with other retailers where I am treated like gold.

i have never had a problem with shoemart sorry to hear you did. i also speak to joe who is one of the owners. maybe give him a call.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
What last are the Alden tassels on? I assume they fit TTS
Most Alden tassle loafers are on the Aberdeen last. However there are some that are produced on the Copley last. Those two lasts are narrower in the toebox than most other Alden lasts. These two lasts are conducive for narrow to medium width feet. I cannot get the Aberdeen to work for me no matter what width I order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads