• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other Edmontonians here?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Edmontonian checking in here. Studying at the U of A! Anyone have any recommendations for cobblers here? My fiance stepped through a metal grate in her Choos and "rolled up" the leather on the heel... Looks like a simple stretch back down with some adhesives should do the trick, but I'd rather they be done right!
Good to have you here at SF. Join us for food/drinks next time we plan it! I can't fully endorse this referral, but... I (sadly) know the women's shoe department in Holt Renfrew uses Luigi at Expert Shoe Clinic (10020 - 103 Ave, 424-6252) for work on their Christian Louboutins and other high-end ladies footwear. That'd likely be a good place to start. PS - I took a simple repair to Paris Tailors the other day; service with a smile to say the least. I have a feeling I'll go back. PPS - Holy full-frontal first blog photo there someotherstyle!

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following you on Tumblr now, someotherstyle. Good ****.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Not from Edmonton, but I am posted here now....thank God for Edmonton South Common....

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chargersfan
Not from Edmonton, but I am posted here now....thank God for Edmonton South Common....

confused.gif

There must be something here I'm not getting...

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Just not a lot of shopping here....have to go out to BR outlet or H&M to look for a gem now and then...WEM isn't really worth the time...

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chargersfan
Just not a lot of shopping here....have to go out to BR outlet or H&M to look for a gem now and then...WEM isn't really worth the time...

Fair enough.

Personally, I've never had much success at BR let alone the outlet. The H&M stores here all suck in my eyes; the flagship stores in Toronto and such sometimes have some cool stuff however.

Really though, I can't stand to even drive through that South Common area. It's just not my cup o' tea. WEM is pretty poor, that's no secret either. We'll go there for the odd Cactus Club grub night, but even that crowd is a bit too "all style no substance" at times.

Honestly, Tailored Goods is the only store I'll ever really need. Edmontonians really don't know how lucky they are; I might shed a tear when I move away from this city in about 18 months.

Geez, reading this back I sound like I'm trying to be all alpha or whatever the MC guys are calling it these days. Sorry, just a day off and I guess you could say I'm bored.

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
Fair enough.

Personally, I've never had much success at BR let alone the outlet. The H&M stores here all suck in my eyes; the flagship stores in Toronto and such sometimes have some cool stuff however.

Really though, I can't stand to even drive through that South Common area. It's just not my cup o' tea. WEM is pretty poor, that's no secret either. We'll go there for the odd Cactus Club grub night, but even that crowd is a bit too "all style no substance" at times.

Honestly, Tailored Goods is the only store I'll ever really need. Edmontonians really don't know how lucky they are; I might shed a tear when I move away from this city in about 18 months.

Geez, reading this back I sound like I'm trying to be all alpha or whatever the MC guys are calling it these days. Sorry, just a day off and I guess you could say I'm bored.

Before XMas I had some fun at the BR outlet. I don't mind their "business casual" stuff. Fit's well, and can be relatively inexpensive.

I ended up getting, 3 sweaters (2 v-neck's and a cardigan), 2 slacks, and 3 dress shirts for $140. At the "regular price" I would have been well over $500.

Not the greatest stuff, but decent upgrade stuff especially for my the start of my "business casual" stuff. Also helped to clean out some of the crap in my closet. I got so much crap in my closet, that BR is a huge upgrade over a lot of it.

I can't afford Gravity Pope these days. I love shopping there (the Engineered Garment's ties they had/have were/are incredible).

And ya, no doubt re: Edmonton. So many places here sell decent or better clothes. Saskatchewan has nothing. I went home for xmas, and spent all of 45 minutes shopping between boxing day and new years. Even my girlfriend said "**** this, I'll save my money for when I come visit you in February".

For what it's worth .. here is the website for what is considered the best shoe store in Regina, SK.
http://www.loggieshoes.com/mens-dress.htm

someotherstyle

Reaction score
you can try Don at downtown shoe repair, but IMO the best guy is Luigi (?) at this little hole in the wall on 103 ave between 100 and 101 st.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
and thanks. too bad frontals like that weren't more available haha.

Edmonton isn't as bad as people make it out for clothing - actually some decent shops. GP Tailored Goods is solid, Rosen is getting better, and Singer is always fun.

Haven is also one of the most successful street stores in North America - although the bulk of what they do is online, not out of either of their store fronts in Edmonton (where it started) or Van. Highgrade is also pretty decent too.

BTW, when you go for coffee, and I mean real high quality Italian espresso/macchiato etc. try De Capo. If you flip through the blog, you'll see more than a few shots there lol.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by someotherstyle
and thanks. too bad frontals like that weren't more available haha.

Edmonton isn't as bad as people make it out for clothing - actually some decent shops. GP Tailored Goods is solid, Rosen is getting better, and Singer is always fun.

Haven is also one of the most successful street stores in North America - although the bulk of what they do is online, not out of either of their store fronts in Edmonton (where it started) or Van. Highgrade is also pretty decent too.

BTW, when you go for coffee, and I mean real high quality Italian espresso/macchiato etc. try De Capo. If you flip through the blog, you'll see more than a few shots there lol.

You've named my absolute favourite pizza place. After my Italy trip, I can only eat pizza from there or Famoso!

Notreknip: Thanks! I'll definitely give them a call!

Good to know there's quite a few Edmontonians here! We need to organize a meet once this slush cleans up a little!

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anytime!

...and...anytime!

Unregistered

Reaction score
It's not a bad place at all, but it doesn't offer truly authentic French cuisine in my mind. (But then again, this is Edmonton). My one excellent go-to restaurant is and will always be Characters on 105 St and 102 Ave. I rather the French cuisine at The Creperie.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
Character's is ****. Moriarty's is every bit as bad, but at least it doesnt pretend to be fine dining.

Creperie is classical french cooking, and they do an alright job.

La Boheme is better IMO

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red Ox. That's the place to go for a nice quiet night. We absolutely love it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads