• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alfair
Hey guys, quick question. Should I pick up Façonnable/LL Bean/Land's End/Bostonian stuff? - Thanks

how about reading the thread from the beginning and answering your own questions when they arise?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
how about reading the thread from the beginning and answering your own questions when they arise?

I think he was just asking for advice.

RedRaider

Reaction score
Ok. I thought this shirt was going to fit me, but it didn't. I found this Emporio Armani shirt Light Blue/Dark Blue pinstripes. Says it's a 15 3/4 x ??, but fits me like it would be 15 x 32-33. I don't like to keep stuff that doesn't fit, nor do I want to try to get rid of it on ebay. If anyone here wants it I'll get it to you for $12 shipped. PM me if you want it.
5386348770_cb46406a35.jpg
5385749063_a3c1ffd689.jpg

Fly1296

Reaction score
Within the last month:

Charcoal birds eye 3-button Daniel Cremieux 2-piece. $15
Charcoal Lauren by RL 2-button $7

Both suits are 100% wool in like new condition. I lucked into the RL today as the jacket and trouser had been separated. The colors are virtually identical but the DC birds eye has a slight sheen to it to go along with the 3-button cut. At least, that's what I'll tell my wife when she asks why I bought another suit almost the same color. The cashier just threw the pants for the $12.99 jacket price, then gave me 50% off that because it had the right color price tag for that day. Also told me every Wednesday was 50% off all clothing so, in addition to a setup whereby two colors are chosen randomly on Thursdays and any clothing with those color tags is 50% off for the following week. Good to know!

Nice pair of grey wool herringbone trousers $3

Oklahoma is not an especially well-dressed place so I don't expect to find anything more than fairly nice OTR suits and such. It's also among the fattest places on Earth so what I do find is usually far too large. But it doesn't take that long to sort through the racks and finding good stuff such as I have makes it worth it. I figure the items I've spent $25 on would have been well over $1000 to buy new.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
dont make the mistake of many who buy something they just cant fit into. put it this way, if you have to spend $$ to have it altered here or there and the cost is over $100, is it really worth it? no! i've to pick up a suit tomorrow that i wish it wasn't altered but i'm going to be $80 in the hole when I pick it up. stupid mistake. check your PM Cheers
This should be relative on the quality of the garment. I wouldn't shell out $100 to tailor a Brooks Brothers mainline suit, but I'd happily pay $100 on a Brioni/Kiton/Borrelli, etc suit and have no problem with it. There is obviously a line where you have to say no, though. For example, if you're a 40R, you should buy a 46L suit thinking you can alter it to fit you.

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
This should be relative on the quality of the garment. I wouldn't shell out $100 to tailor a Brooks Brothers mainline suit, but I'd happily pay $100 on a Brioni/Kiton/Borrelli, etc suit and have no problem with it. There is obviously a line where you have to say no, though. For example, if you're a 40R, you should buy a 46L suit thinking you can alter it to fit you.

I second that!

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shouldn't*
wink.gif

I stinking love this thread. Always something going on!

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I randomly picked up a 3 roll 2 charcoal with brown stripes suit from a Swedish maker named, Strellson. It's nice but there was something about the lapels that . . . didn't do it for me. Anyway, I didn't know I had to do this much work aka $$ but I was tired and told the tailor to proceed. That suit will cost me an extra $80. I hope it turns out well tomorrow. Cheers

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
I think he was just asking for advice.

theres advice and then theres handholding,he Pm'd me what items to look out for generally (other then clothing),well general is a big area to cover where do i even begin?
you just have to educate yourself,not by asking but by studying,researching and experiencing.he wants the coles notes,nothing wrong with one question here and there but i guarantee you he well ask every day about this and that,when he can easily just read whats already available.
whats that old proverb;give a man a fish he eats for a day,teach him to fish he eats for a lifetime?
well learn how to "fish" by reading the thread.

krspdla

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been thrifting a lot recently and I'm getting a feel for finding shirts and sweaters that fit me well, but I haven't been able to figure out how to know whether or not I can get a suit to be tailored to fit. Obviously there's the chance that a suit will fit me perfectly but there's a really slim chance of that.. Usually theres a couple of things that need fixing, but I'm never sure if those things are fixable. The last time this happened to me, I went ahead and bought the jacket anyway only to be told the problems were unfixable. So my question is, what are the easy alterations that can be done to a suit jacket that I shouldn't worry about if they're a little off when I try them on in-store? It's tough to make the decision to buy when there's no guarantee it'll work and no refunds.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by krspdla
Hey guys, I've been thrifting a lot recently and I'm getting a feel for finding shirts and sweaters that fit me well, but I haven't been able to figure out how to know whether or not I can get a suit to be tailored to fit. Obviously there's the chance that a suit will fit me perfectly but there's a really slim chance of that.. Usually theres a couple of things that need fixing, but I'm never sure if those things are fixable. The last time this happened to me, I went ahead and bought the jacket anyway only to be told the problems were unfixable. So my question is, what are the easy alterations that can be done to a suit jacket that I shouldn't worry about if they're a little off when I try them on in-store? It's tough to make the decision to buy when there's no guarantee it'll work and no refunds.

Gotta do the research but here's what I know. Do a search man. It's on here.

You should always make sure the shoulders arent tight. If you button the top button and when you raise your arms parallel to your body (forward) and your whole jacket moves, that's not a good sign. Maybe I'm not explaining this right. Also, if you button the jacket and the lapels "pop" out, it's usually not a good sign too. Length? When I put my arms down parallel to my body and the tip of my middle finger touches the end of the jacket then it's too long. I like to stop at the beginning of the finger. Taking it in can be pricey. Sometimes 25-50 depending on your tailor. Also, put on the jacket, turn around and look in the mirror, and check to see if there are ripples near the shoulder blade/neck area. If there are then you need to get this cleaned up. Another 20 or so. Sleeves? Everyone is different but I like them the traditional way.

Every persons body is different than others. I've a problem because I work out (not a lot) but I naturally have broad shoulders. This always causes divots in jackets that I buy. If it has a divot, I never buy because I think it looks really cheap. Most italians except Zegnas create divots. RL fit me well too.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads