• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
I hear you. Most of us have nowhere near the kind of luck that folks like Nataku, frenchy and EBTX66 have...I've been debating spending less time at the thrift, more time at the office and therefore having more money to buy B&S, where there are tons of good deals to be had.

I am well aware of how rich of a hunting ground I have. After graduation in a few years I'm being transferred to somewhere in Colorado or Utah so I know this will come to an end. My only hope after that is that you guys keep the B&S well stocked.

Originally Posted by hyakku
photo1jz.jpg

I know that "designer" brands like that get no love from the self-proclaimed fashion demi-gods out in the general forum but I would count that as a major victory. That thing is a beauty. I could also get it in the house without too much grief: "Honey, I know I have other gray suits but it's a 3-piece AND it has open patch pockets. I don't have one of those".
laugh.gif

Seriously, open patch pockets on the vest? Nice...

worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif

Originally Posted by Staatsoper
After three months of being dismally preoccupied, went out yesterday and found a (presumably) NWT Cifonelli shorter trench coat (knee length on me at 5'7"), navy, thick cavalry twill. Fabric not marked--cotton blend? 52/42. Fits great, feels great, though sleeves will need to be shortened. No other labels, just the Cifonelli Paris Rome, and size. $29.95.

That this is gorgeous
inlove.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Yeah, I know, I know, the math... the annoying thing is that Canali and Zegna in particular I've had inconsistent sizing with - I have those in my closet *that fit* from sizes 56it to 62it.

k4inamja - I need a 17.5-36 or so. I recently found one that's 17.5/35 and it works, but 17.5/36 is ideal. Sorry! If you see any J Press in 48-50, keep me in mind!
wink.gif

I promise I will.
bounce2.gif

pdxpm

Reaction score
Pretty uneventful weekend except I did find a pair of HSM grey flannel flat front slacks that are essentially NWOT for $6.99. Looks like someone had them hemmed and then never wore them. They fit great and are only maybe a 1/4" too long. I think I'll wear them a couple times to decide if I like them enough to have them altered. I had hoped they were suit slacks and I would find the matching jacket but no luck.

Also saw a BBGF half lined sport coat but it had a couple small stains that I didn't think were worth the effort.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two stores today... really glad I took the time:

Robert Graham shirt - a question of labeling: the "RG" "blue label" shirts are a pass, right? I've seen those before, but the one I picked up is script "Robert Graham" embroidered on a design. Interesting coloration, but subdued enough my wife actually said she likes it. It's an XL, and I could wear it, but it's going to be moving on just from the sheer obnoxiousness of it!

Vintage LL Bean wool "hunting shirt" size small - I've got those hunting pants size 30-31, so it's nearly an outfit, just add suspenders!

AE Woodstocks, 12D - I can wear these, not sure if I'll keep them or not.

Sorry for no pics but my phone's on the charger and the other camera isn't available!

krspdla

Reaction score
Went to two thrift stores today, didn't find too much.

At the first store, I came across a Yves Saint Laurent Navy Suit with burgandy pinstripes, tried it on, only to have the fit be really awkward on me. I also tried on a Samuelsohn tuxedo and the fit was perfect, but it was like triple pleated -.- I came out with some lightly used flannels.

At the second store, I found a dark olive Armani suit which had the best fitting jacket I'd ever tried on, but the pants were a couple inches too small. I also found an Alexander McQueen orphaned suit jacket, but couldn't find the pants so I passed.

Total:
Random flannels x3
Red gingham Provenzale Napoli shirt, Made in Italy (I have no idea what this brand is but I love the pattern)
PRL 100% cashmere sweater
Some books

alfair

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. Should I pick up Façonnable/LL Bean/Land's End/Bostonian stuff? - Thanks

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alfair
Hey guys, quick question. Should I pick up Façonnable/LL Bean/Land's End/Bostonian stuff? - Thanks

A lot of ppl on here seem to pick up Faconnable, LL bean and Lands Ends stuff. Not sure about Bostonian. I like some Faconnable stuff but I cannot do the tag on the pocket aspect.

Cheers

alfair

Reaction score
Thanks, any idea what the button hole on the breast pocket of the shirt is for?

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alfair
Thanks, any idea what the button hole on the breast pocket of the shirt is for?

For closing the pocket.

(BTW: if there's no button there, it's probably missing.)

hyakku

Reaction score
Thanks EBT for the compliments, and if it turns out I don't end up keeping it (although I'm definitely leaning towards keeping it after realizing the pants fit nearly perfectly, just need to be shortened some) I'll be certain to put it up in this thread for just what I paid + shipping for all the help i've already gotten from y'all, but I can't make any promises lol. Plus, I just found the button box with extra buttons still inside in the inner pocket, I wonder if whoever bought this ever even wore it lol.

I'm going to probably head out to a few of my thrift and vintage spots soon, if I see anything that I think you all might be interested I'll start posting now that I'm gaining a better feel for some of these things. Being in LA, I imagine i might stumble across more finds than an average place so I'll keep you all updated.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hyakku
Thanks EBT for the compliments, and if it turns out I don't end up keeping it (although I'm definitely leaning towards keeping it after realizing the pants fit nearly perfectly, just need to be shortened some) I'll be certain to put it up in this thread for just what I paid + shipping for all the help i've already gotten from y'all, but I can't make any promises lol. Plus, I just found the button box with extra buttons still inside in the inner pocket, I wonder if whoever bought this ever even wore it lol.

I'm going to probably head out to a few of my thrift and vintage spots soon, if I see anything that I think you all might be interested I'll start posting now that I'm gaining a better feel for some of these things. Being in LA, I imagine i might stumble across more finds than an average place so I'll keep you all updated.

dont make the mistake of many who buy something they just cant fit into. put it this way, if you have to spend $$ to have it altered here or there and the cost is over $100, is it really worth it? no! i've to pick up a suit tomorrow that i wish it wasn't altered but i'm going to be $80 in the hole when I pick it up. stupid mistake.

check your PM

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads