• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedRaider
Anyone know where I can get a few shoe trees at less than $8/per pair?

I rarely see them for that low. Groupon last month had a deal where you could pay $25 for a $50 Nordstrom Rack gift certificate. Since they have trees there for $13-14 a piece, that meant you could get them for about $7. Still, the difference between $7 and $14 is only $7. Surely you can't be so broke that you can't afford $7.

Originally Posted by dah328
What do you mean by "Where?" If you're asking about getting a decent bespoke jacket for $500-600, you can't do that anywhere.

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were saying you could get a bespoke jacket for $600. I originally wrote "Otherwise, if it's a $300-400 SC, and you're dropping possibly another $200, you're getting close to the price where you can just get something bespoke." I still stand by this. I've prices for bespoke jackets to be around $800-900, and that's only $200-300 more than $600.

take_eacy

Reaction score
What do you guys think of wearing a matte charcoal pindot tie with a dark brown belt and brown shoes?

I'm thinking of doing this with either a white or light blue shirt, and dark navy pants.

The part I worry about is the gray tie going with the dark brown leather. thanks!

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by take_eacy
What do you guys think of wearing a matte charcoal pindot tie with a dark brown belt and brown shoes?

I'm thinking of doing this with either a white or light blue shirt, and dark navy pants.

The part I worry about is the gray tie going with the dark brown leather. thanks!

That's fine. Better if you can match the pin dot colors to your shirt. Whether you can wear a charcoal tie has nothing to do with what color your shoes are. You're over thinking this.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brandon -B-

can you please send it to me. i'm not american, so i can wear it with pride.

ps: honestly, i would keep it as a beater.

Kieran26

Reaction score
I'm buying an overcoat online. The seller (Korean) lists the coat as having a 20-inch wide chest (he says he measured it by laying it on the floor and taking the width of one side of the chest).

I did the same to my well-fitting suit jacket and it was around 19.5 inches. Should I buy the 20-inch overcoat, leaving 0.5 inches of room over my suit jacket?

~Kieran

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cromulated
is black hi-shine leather just as durable as black calf?
It depends on what you mean by "hi-shine." If you're referring to corrected grain leather with a shiny finish, the answer is no. If you're referring to patent leather, the answer is probably not. There are different qualities of patent leather, but I don't think any of them are as durable as a quality full-grain calf leather.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kensington
Is it weird to wear a tie with a shirt with a monogram or logo? IE: Polo
Yes, it is weird.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may seem like an odd question coming from a shoe horse such as myself, but what is the "ultimate" black dress shoe? Like, the shoe you would wear to a funeral or court appearance. Plain toe? Cap toe? Wholecut?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
This may seem like an odd question coming from a shoe horse such as myself, but what is the "ultimate" black dress shoe? Like, the shoe you would wear to a funeral or court appearance. Plain toe? Cap toe? Wholecut?

Gaziano & Girling "Oxford"

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Plain cap toe bals.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kieran26
I'm buying an overcoat online. The seller (Korean) lists the coat as having a 20-inch wide chest (he says he measured it by laying it on the floor and taking the width of one side of the chest).

I did the same to my well-fitting suit jacket and it was around 19.5 inches. Should I buy the 20-inch overcoat, leaving 0.5 inches of room over my suit jacket?

~Kieran

To buy overcoat, it is more than just chest measurement. One thing that is often overlooked is the armhole measurement (at pit). You also need to check the shoulder size, especially when the overcoat shoulders are padded. Even if it has appropriate chest measurement but the armholes are higher than your suit jacket, then it will not work. Otherwise, 0.5 is fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads