• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how different an approach an ocean makes.. Wouldnt have thought of reporting it to the authorities, I would however notify the owner that his dog did what he did. For all we know the dog plays around his own kids all day and never did a thing, that way he can take the appropriate action. If he doesnt have kids at least he now knows that his dog reacts to swings or something and can take it into account in the future.

btw, did you see this happen?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
assault and battery with a shod foot

contact the local animal officer and/or police. A bruise is a clear indication of an attack.. doesn't need to "break skin" or "draw blood" to constitute an offense. The owner of the dog has to be made to realize that responsible dog ownership involves a lot more than just letting a dog roam "off-leash' and letting them do what they want. What if this happens again to some other child and with more serious wounds? I'm certain you'd be saying .. "damn, I should have reported it..."

I think it takes a good deal of force to bruise the skin. Those who don't believe me, try the experiment with a hammer.

The last part of your post is the reason I think a person has a duty to report something like this. Again, it is doubtful any action will be taken as far as destroying the dog goes, but a warning will go a long way to encouraging the owner to step up and take responsibility.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jake has thrown up 4 times today and hasn't eaten anything but is still drinking water. Do I take him to the vet tomorrow? Pet hospital tonight? He doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort...Basically all he has done is sleep today.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you see any signs of panting, drooling and obvious distress tonight go to the hospital, but vomiting is not that big a deal. As long as he is drinking and urinating.

Call your vet tomorrow if you're concerned.

lefty

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Lefty. There aren't any obvious signs of distress so I'll just wait things out.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Jake has thrown up 4 times today and hasn't eaten anything but is still drinking water. Do I take him to the vet tomorrow? Pet hospital tonight? He doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort...Basically all he has done is sleep today.

be advised, if this is a gastro bug, I have found these generally make their way from front to back, so if you have carpeting in your house/apartment, you may want to keep him confined to an area that can easily be cleaned.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
be advised, if this is a gastro bug, I have found these generally make their way from front to back, so if you have carpeting in your house/apartment, you may want to keep him confined to an area that can easily be cleaned.
Haha thanks for the tip. His back end is probably empty since he hasn't eaten in over 24 hours. I gave him a bit of kibble this morning but he threw it up within 15-20 minutes. Still drinking and pissing though. I took him to work with me today and he's done nothing but sleep.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dogs sleep for a 16 hours a day so that's not unusual. Call your vet and see what s/he says.

lefty

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
Dog jumped off a 20 ft. ledge yesterday trying to get a squirrel. Is that sort of thing normal?

Luckily, after a loud initial yelp, she gingerly walked back to us, and then was running at full speed about 2 minutes later.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good dog. What breed?

I knew a guy whose Husky took a leap off of a bridge to get at a squirrel. Not as lucky as yours.

lefty

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Good dog. What breed?

I knew a guy whose Husky took a leap off of a bridge to get at a squirrel. Not as lucky as yours.

lefty

Thanks for the compliment--we generally agree. She's some sort of Heeler/Pointer mix, we believe.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Little man is growing like a weed. Went from 10 lbs at two months to 15 lbs at three months.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

Definitely been my experience. Nothing beats waking up to the smell of diarrhea in the middle of the night and stepping in it barefoot in the dark.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Definitely been my experience. Nothing beats waking up to the smell of diarrhea in the middle of the night and stepping in it barefoot in the dark.

I've never stepped in it, but last time it happened at my place (on the first floor), the smell was so bad that I first noticed it while showering (on the second floor).

Also, whenever my dog throws up, she takes great effort to get as much of it outside the crate as possible...but then attempts to eat it. Seems to me it would be better for all involved if she would just throw up on the inside.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from seeing the movie The Way Back. While I wouldn't particularly recommend the movie, I noticed that all the security dogs in the Soviet slave labor camp in Siberia are Caucasian Ovtcharkas--certainly more formidable looking than the customary GSDs. Lefty or anyone, do you know if Caucasian Ovtcharkas were actually used for this purpose?

I can remember those ads in Dog World a decade or so back that showed a baleful looking Ovtcharka that had the title "The Knockdown Power of a .45...With Intelligence." I've always heard they were an awful lot of dog. The only woman I knew personally who had one didn't think it particularly difficult to manage, but then she was a professional animal trainer who also had a tiger and leopard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads