• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One week trip to Japan

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Okay cool. Would like to catch some baseball and sumo wrestling as well. Based on skimming this thread it's my understanding that May is a good time for both events. Can we buy tickets online?

I haven't checked but perhaps ticket pia can arrange tickets to both sumo and baseball games. The site looks like it doesn't have an English translation though.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Subscribing to this thread.

I'll be in Japan for 8 days for the first part of April this year. Hopefully just in time for the cherry blossom festival.

myke

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdice
Both are good if you like some very creative (i.e. less traditional) cuisine - although making a reservation is going to be tough...

If you want to try French, I'd stick with L'Osier.
For Japanese, it really depends on the type of food you want to try but here are my favourites:
Tempura: Rakutei in Akasaka
Sushi: Sushisho in Yotsuya and Kyubei in general is very used to dealing with non Japanese customers
Kaiseki: Kojyu is good for its price; Kyoaji is the best if you can justify the bill (+JPY40,000) and you know someone who can take you there as they do not take reservations from the first timers

Thanks for the suggestions! Kyoaji won't be possible since I don't know anyone in Japan.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A just released a special flight deal from NYC to Haneda for $686 all taxes included! ****! Travel dates from March to the end of April....Double ****!!

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I want to stay at a really nice place when I'm in Tokyo. Right now I'm thinking the Mandarin Oriental. Any other place I should consider?

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Subscribing to this thread.

I'll be in Japan for 8 days for the first part of April this year. Hopefully just in time for the cherry blossom festival.

myke

I hope you've booked your accomadation because everything gets very busy. Oh yeah, and make sure you check out lifegear trading post as well - some sweet shoes. They might have a sale while you're there.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I want to stay at a really nice place when I'm in Tokyo. Right now I'm thinking the Mandarin Oriental. Any other place I should consider?

I've heard the Peninsula is excellent but haven't stayed there. The Intercontinental is a nice property but the location isn't great unless you plan to take taxis. Rather far from a train/subway station.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
AA just released a special flight deal from NYC to Haneda for $686 all taxes included! ****! Travel dates from March to the end of April....Double ****!!

Here is the link.

http://goo.gl/FQ6Rq

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ thanks for the link man, I'm gonna send that to my mother and see if she wants to visit next month, maybe even get my dad away from work for a few days finally.

edit: those are one-way fares, fwiw. Price would be double that plus tax on the lowest traffic days.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. I'm really trying to work between my work schedule and finances to see if this is feasible.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Claska Hotel? It's more of a boutique hotel but it looks interesting. How is it location wise?

thinksimple

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
AA just released a special flight deal from NYC to Haneda for $686 all taxes included! ****! Travel dates from March to the end of April....Double ****!!
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
I paid $1200 in December for my ticket to NRT departing in March, thinking I wouldn't get a better deal. For $1600, both the mrs. and I could have left from BUF. I can now only take solace in the fact that the $400 premium bought me a direct flight and a quick jaunt to the airport...

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinksimple
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
I paid $1200 in December for my ticket to NRT departing in March, thinking I wouldn't get a better deal. For $1600, both the mrs. and I could have left from BUF. I can now only take solace in the fact that the $400 premium bought me a direct flight and a quick jaunt to the airport...

This really does put that Orbitz price match in perspective. Although I don't know much about the fine print, it can come in handy.

On a smei related note, Delta has non-stop JFK to barcelona for $311 all in..motherfucker!!

blackdice

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Claska Hotel? It's more of a boutique hotel but it looks interesting. How is it location wise?

Claska is very stylish and unique in its own way - has a very nice lounge / restaurant on the ground floor and a nice little shop where they sell design conscious souvenirs and stuff.

The only downside is that it really is in the middle of nowhere. You basically have to take Toyoko linke from Shibuya for some 15 mins, and it's another 15 mins' walk from there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads