• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

king*stink

Reaction score
Mac great looking boot. I wore my jcrew cap toe boot today. Though no fit pic to show

On the alden 403 vs the jcrew indy. I prefer the stitching of the real indy. I didn't like that the jcrew indy changed it up. Thats why i went with the 403.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Nothing beats some nice shell, but those 403's are true classics and never go out of style.

Originally Posted by sazon
Classics indeed.

But these do get better with age, as you beat them up. Wear them hard and be proud.

I love mine the more they get scuffed up.

Originally Posted by dsoren
Are the Alden x J Crew Indys any different than regular Indys?

Thanks guys. My 405s have some serious mileage on them and I've beat them up pretty good. I think they look better now than when they came out of the box. Today was the first wearing of the chromexcel version, and I really dig 'em. Other than the chromexcel leather, the leather lining and heel foxing, the Alden x J Crew version is just like the regular 405s, from what I can tell.

nomometal

Reaction score
Relax, Sunshine... Just trying to share the love. Bought them before I knew my true fit in Aldens.
If you bothered to look before posting you saw that I'm not trying to gouge anybody. If someone here has black 11.5's BNIB, please talk to me about a trade.

cfull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nomometal
Relax, Sunshine... Just trying to share the love. Bought them before I knew my true fit in Aldens. If you bothered to look before posting you saw that I'm not trying to gouge anybody. If someone here has black 11.5's BNIB, please talk to me about a trade.
Well, i know that to post in the FS forum you need to be a member here a month. So I figured if there's rules about that, there must be rules against joining the forum and immediately advertising your ebay link. (That's actually why I joined SF in the first place) If not, then cool.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcarthur
you did very well

Thank you... thinking about dying the edge on the whiskey to something closer to antique. Any thoughts?

cfull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by king*stink
On the alden 403 vs the jcrew indy. I prefer the stitching of the real indy. I didn't like that the jcrew indy changed it up. Thats why i went with the 403.

Is that the only other difference, asides from the sole?

CBtoNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JK2
I have been wearing Alden calf LHS's for over a decade in 12.5A. I decided to try a pair of dark-brown suede Chukka boots from SM. These are the lined Chukkas built on the Barrie last. I liked these because I wanted the soft lugged sole. I went for a 12C (the narrowest available), knowing that the Barrie runs large. The fit in the toe is snug but no problem. However, the back of the shoe is quite loose, even with the laces tightened up to the point where the two sides touch each other.

I am wondering if I should try downsizing to an 11.5C. The length would be no problem, but I am sure the toe box would be too narrow. However, I read somewhere (it might have been on this forum) that the Chukkas do tend to stretch out a bit.

Any advice?

JK2, shoes that don't fit are a waste of money, and Aldens are not cheap.
If you know the Alden size and last that does fit you properly, why not just do a special order through Shoe Mart? Better wait a few months and have shoes that fit rather than instant gratification and shoes on the B&S or in your local thrift.

ltb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
I can tell you from my experience only: If they slip when new, they will continue to slip. Others may have different comments. To find out if there is any interest in them, state the size.
Just for a different perspective, I had some slight heel slippage in my #8 longwings when I got them. I've worn them probably 4-5 times now, and the "problem" gets better with each wear. While these aren't the double leather sole, I think it may provide some hope for you. I know that my boots on the double leather sole feel way more comfortable every time I wear them - I want it on pretty much every pair of shoes I have.

Everything I read about the issue said that a little bit of heel slippage is normal when breaking in a shoe. I'd probably give it a few more wears before deciding to flip them.

100 yrs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Hey guys, I posted this a few pages back and didnt get much feedback, so I thought I would try again.

I have a question on break-in of my ravello longwings.

I have a few pair of Alden boots, but these are my first shoes on the double leather soles. I picked them up last week and have since worn them three times, however, I am still having some slight heel slippage.

How long before the double leather soles break in where this goes away? I am curious to hear some stories. And would just living with some heel slippage with these shoes be ok? Anyone else have a permanent slight slippage?

And if it does not go away, anyone interested in buying them? I would hate to have to let them go, but don't want something that doesn't fit proper.

Thanks in advance.

jrich,

going through the same thing with some chukkas i got from alden of carmel (af 32, boring ol' brown calf on the barrie with commando soles and i love them, adam offered amazing service btw). indy boots in 8.5D and 9D were just too tight in the toe box, and the 9Ds felt fine length wise, so for these i tried a 9E. at first they were slipping in the heel, but i expected that as i'd heard it takes a minute for the soles to break in. i've worn them 6-7 times and the slippage has definitely settled down as the commando sole has broken in, but i'm beginning to fear the heel is just too roomy (which i've read complaints about for barrie lasted shoes). it's manageable with a tongue pad and thicker socks, but it's still concerning. i'm going to wear them a bit longer then evaluate.

i say give them a few more casual wears and then see whats up.

sellran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
I gotta think not Alden since it's imported, and BB wouldn't pass up saying Made in USA.

On the first page it says they are imported, but on the Features page it says made in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads