• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Spring/Summer 2011 Discussion

raptorrapture

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stewbone
For some reason im really digging the sweater. The shorts are tacky but what can you expect.

Yeah I'm liking it too. And what is up with the shorts, anyway?

Are these jorts?:
i1500167_screen-shot-2011-01-21-at-friday-january-21-11.19.09-pm.png

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do people really walk around with the center button of a three-button blazer fastened?
eh.gif

raptorrapture

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meso
Do people really walk around with the center button of a three-button blazer fastened?
eh.gif

Aren't you supposed to? I thought the rule was "Sometimes, Always, Never" when it came to buttons on a blazer/coat.

quicksilverXP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raptorrapture
Aren't you supposed to? I thought the rule was "Sometimes, Always, Never" when it came to buttons on a blazer/coat.

Depends on how the suit folds. If its a hard and crisp fold, then the top two buttons should be buttoned. If its a soft fold (like the ones mostly found on blazers made of tweed), then only the middle one.

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raptorrapture
Yeah I'm liking it too. And what is up with the shorts, anyway?

Are these jorts?:
i1500167_screen-shot-2011-01-21-at-friday-january-21-11.19.09-pm.png

he looks like the dude from twilight haha

ma1

Reaction score
not understanding the outrage at this stuff.. pretty typical jcrew

imposter2012

Reaction score
J. Crew wasn't this hipster back in 05-07. They were known for their classic staples and preppy look. Frank and Jenna are running the brand into the ground with this grungy, faux-high fashion approach.

dsoren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ma1
not understanding the outrage at this stuff.. pretty typical jcrew
F/W was much better than this. I mean, brown quoddy bluchers with a black suit - WTF?
Originally Posted by imposter2012
J. Crew wasn't this hipster back in 05-07. They were known for their classic staples and preppy look. Frank and Jenna are running the brand into the ground with this grungy, faux-high fashion approach.
The current incarnation of teh Crew is much better than 05-07. Used to be like Vineyard Vines. I have been very impressed with Frank and Jenna's efforts until this season. WTF are these looks? Oh, and does anyone else think it's ridiculous that some of these looks are featuring a shitload of layering? I don't know about you guys, but if I wore a sweater in late spring/summer I would have a heat stroke. Jet told me he can't wait to kop all of these looks.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do we really need more new england inspired clothing? Seriously look elsewhere.

imposter2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsoren
F/W was much better than this. I mean, brown quoddy bluchers with a black suit - WTF? The current incarnation of teh Crew is much better than 05-07. Used to be like Vineyard Vines. I have been very impressed with Frank and Jenna's efforts until this season. WTF are these looks? Oh, and does anyone else think it's ridiculous that some of these looks are featuring a shitload of layering? I don't know about you guys, but if I wore a sweater in late spring/summer I would have a heat stroke. Jet told me he can't wait to kop all of these looks.
I definitely still love J. Crew and I like most of the stuff that's currently offered. Just wish they would offer some more classic stuff too. Why don't we have any more of the regency ties? J. Crew was built on offering cheaper alternatives to classic preppy brands like Ralph Lauren. They should stay true to its roots: classic with a J. Crew twist... not something urban outfitters would do. Also, quality has noticeably gone down. I think that's my biggest gripe with the brand. I agree with you on the layering thing. The most I'd wear would be cardigan over a tee.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
this isn't really s/s, but does anyone have any experience with the mayfield topcoat? how does it fit compared to other j crew? warm?

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely still love J. Crew and I like most of the stuff that's currently offered. Just wish they would offer some more classic stuff too. Why don't we have any more of the regency ties? J. Crew was built on offering cheaper alternatives to classic preppy brands like Ralph Lauren. They should stay true to its roots: classic with a J. Crew twist... not something urban outfitters would do. Also, quality has noticeably gone down. I think that's my biggest gripe with the brand.

I agree with you on the layering thing. The most I'd wear would be cardigan over a tee.

I think, as always, you have to pick and choose with J.Crew. I find their shirtings to be crap with bad fits. The pants are crap with good fits. The outerwear is good quality with crap fits. The suitings (at least the loro piano one I have) are pretty good but expensive for what you get. Their current quality is much better than, say, 1999, but much worse than 1990, if that dates me, so be it.

Seems like every season there are a few surprisingly good items. I have a canvas blanket lined jacket from like 2004 that has worn like iron and a 20-year-old wool CPO that looks like new; conversely, some of their recent lightweight slim-fit chinos haven't survived one season without shrinking or, oddly, getting diaper butt...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads