• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need help. 46L Lanvin Paris made in Italy brown plaid sportcoat 3/2 roll no cuffs. Buy it?

Trotsky1940

Reaction score
The GW jacked its prices up, which is pretty disappointing as 90% of their inventory is junk from Wal-Mart and Kohls, not even Target. I did find a LL Bean OCBD Trad striped shirt in my size, brand new and I feel it was a good price at $4.25. Other than that: junk.

Didn't hit the SA this week, maybe this coming week.

Staatsoper

Reaction score
After three months of being dismally preoccupied, went out yesterday and found a (presumably) NWT Cifonelli shorter trench coat (knee length on me at 5'7"), navy, thick cavalry twill. Fabric not marked--cotton blend? 52/42. Fits great, feels great, though sleeves will need to be shortened. No other labels, just the Cifonelli Paris Rome, and size. $29.95.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
I hear you. Most of us have nowhere near the kind of luck that folks like Nataku, frenchy and EBTX66 have. But I think you have to enjoy the hunt and not expect too much. I also live in a sartorial wasteland and the good finds are few and far between. I've been debating spending less time at the thrift, more time at the office and therefore having more money to buy B&S, where there are tons of good deals to be had.

yeah but you have to understand i hit 50 stores a week ,some twice.i only post maybe 10% of what i find,90% of the stuff is non clothing related..for example this week
brand new Rossignol Premier snow board retail $499
14K Gold Accutron 214 Bulova retail around $500-1000
Busson french made trumpet (pro) retail $750-1000
vintage tiffanys ink well retail around $600-900
those are just the big items im not mentioning the smaller ones that do very very well

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Staatsoper
After three months of being dismally preoccupied, went out yesterday and found a (presumably) NWT Cifonelli shorter trench coat (knee length on me at 5'7"), navy, thick cavalry twill. Fabric not marked--cotton blend? 52/42. Fits great, feels great, though sleeves will need to be shortened. No other labels, just the Cifonelli Paris Rome, and size. $29.95.
^^ Amazing score, and NWT to boot!
worship.gif

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Some of you may recall I'm a little bit of a hanger maniac... so you won't be surprised to hear that my most exciting find was a J. Press hanger! Looks very recent, has the current stores on the logo, and is in perfect condition - not even the usual nicks or wear spots on it. I turned the store upside down looking for the suit that I'm certain must have come in on it - no luck. I don't HAVE anything yet from J. Press to put on it, but I'll keep the hanger as a J. Press suit is one of my grails!

As you know, I share your interest in hangers. That J Press is quite a find.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple suits a few weeks back, and the cashier put them in the bag with the wood hangers still attached.
I told her, and reached in to take them out, but she stopped me saying "we have way too many of those lying around, we end up throwing them out."

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Shoes - yes, there's shopwear, I see the creases, but the soles are pristine and have never been off carpet:
P1060223.JPG

Sometimes I think I should take up foot-binding. Damn me and my size 13s.
laugh.gif

Speaking of wood hangers, there's a store in my town that has a huge tupperware container of them by the check-out. They're 10 for a dollar! Usually just straight-up wood (no store markers), but I've bought quite a few there for jacket support.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropped off some stuff from a family member who I was helping move today, middle-of-nowhere-Ohio, only thrift for 40 miles. Figured it for a quick stop, ended up taking awhile. Canali suit, 3 button charcoalish/brownish "Natural Comfort" - anyone know what that means? 100% wool so it's not a blend or anything, and I've never seen that label before. Name was sewn in it, it belonged to the dean of the business school at a university the next city over. I HATE how Canali is size-down-12 instead of 10 - every time I see a Canali it's size 58, I swear, and I get excited... and then realize that's really a 46, not a 48-50 like I need. NOS AE Saratoga tassel loafers, size 8.5AA - yeah, super-narrow, but NOS? Had to snag them. These shoes may Some of you may recall I'm a little bit of a hanger maniac... so you won't be surprised to hear that my most exciting find was a J. Press hanger! Looks very recent, has the current stores on the logo, and is in perfect condition - not even the usual nicks or wear spots on it. I turned the store upside down looking for the suit that I'm certain must have come in on it - no luck. I don't HAVE anything yet from J. Press to put on it, but I'll keep the hanger as a J. Press suit is one of my grails! Oh... and on the long drive back home, I got greedy and stopped by a normally reliable store. Skunked, of course!
laugh.gif
Gotta remember that stores that are hit by flippers regularly are a waste of time on Sundays, more often than not.

Awesome finds! That suit looks really nice. Great score on the hanger too! I find J.Press stuff from time to time so I;ll keep an eye out for a suit or sportcoat for ya. I passed on 4-5 J.Press suits 3-4 years ago. They were pretty old (dated 1971-1973) and showed their age. Haven't seen any tailored stuff from them since but I see a lot of their shirts.
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Need help. 46L Lanvin Paris made in Italy brown plaid sportcoat 3/2 roll no cuffs. Buy it?
Label looks like this or similar, buy it:
lanvin_label.jpg
Looks like this, pass:
il_fullxfull.69128527.jpg

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Awesome finds! That suit looks really nice. Great score on the hanger too! I find J.Press stuff from time to time so I;ll keep an eye out for a suit or sportcoat for ya. I passed on 4-5 J.Press suits 3-4 years ago. They were pretty old (dated 1971-1973) and showed their age. Haven't seen any tailored stuff from them since but I see a lot of their shirts.

Label looks like this or similar, buy it:

lanvin_label.jpg

Looks like this, pass:

il_fullxfull.69128527.jpg

Appreciate it, Nantaku. I'm pretty sure it was the second one. I decided not to buy.

Cheers

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropped off some stuff from a family member who I was helping move today, middle-of-nowhere-Ohio, only thrift for 40 miles. Figured it for a quick stop, ended up taking awhile.

Canali suit, 3 button charcoalish/brownish "Natural Comfort" - anyone know what that means? 100% wool so it's not a blend or anything, and I've never seen that label before. Name was sewn in it, it belonged to the dean of the business school at a university the next city over. I HATE how Canali is size-down-12 instead of 10 - every time I see a Canali it's size 58, I swear, and I get excited... and then realize that's really a 46, not a 48-50 like I need.

NOS AE Saratoga tassel loafers, size 8.5AA - yeah, super-narrow, but NOS? Had to snag them. These shoes may

Some of you may recall I'm a little bit of a hanger maniac... so you won't be surprised to hear that my most exciting find was a J. Press hanger! Looks very recent, has the current stores on the logo, and is in perfect condition - not even the usual nicks or wear spots on it. I turned the store upside down looking for the suit that I'm certain must have come in on it - no luck. I don't HAVE anything yet from J. Press to put on it, but I'll keep the hanger as a J. Press suit is one of my grails!

Oh... and on the long drive back home, I got greedy and stopped by a normally reliable store. Skunked, of course!
laugh.gif
Gotta remember that stores that are hit by flippers regularly are a waste of time on Sundays, more often than not.

Suit & hanger:
P1060222.JPG

Shoes - yes, there's shopwear, I see the creases, but the soles are pristine and have never been off carpet:
P1060223.JPG

Originally Posted by Steve Smith
As you know, I share your interest in hangers. That J Press is quite a find.

Hey

I've a white with blue windowpane dress shirt from J Press. 16.5 x 34. Let me know if you want it. It'll look good on that hanger
smile.gif

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Staatsoper

Awesome coat! Very nice. Beautiful color too. Good for you finding something that fits. Not always easy.

gdwy89

Reaction score
I HATE how Canali is size-down-12 instead of 10 - every time I see a Canali it's size 58, I swear, and I get excited... and then realize that's really a 46, not a 48-50 like I need.

. . .

The simple size-down-10 trick to convert from centimeters to inches works well for jackets up until size 52-54ish. Past that, you should generally size down 12. Really, the Canali jacket you found isn't wrong, it's just past the threshold where -10 still works consistently.

52 centimeters = 20.4724409 inches ~ 20.5 x 2 = 41 (close enough to -10)
54 centimeters = 21.2598425 inches ~ 21 x 2 = 42 or ~ 21.25 x 2 = 42.5 (probably better to use -12)
56 centimeters = 22.0472441 inches ~ 22 x 2 = 44 (definitely better to use -12)

On the issue of hangers, I can relate; one of my best finds last week was a Brooks Brother's hanger at the second store I went to to go with the Brooks Brother's suit I found at the first store I visited.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, I know, the math... the annoying thing is that Canali and Zegna in particular I've had inconsistent sizing with - I have those in my closet *that fit* from sizes 56it to 62it.

k4inamja - I need a 17.5-36 or so. I recently found one that's 17.5/35 and it works, but 17.5/36 is ideal. Sorry! If you see any J Press in 48-50, keep me in mind!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads