• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brandon -B-
I have a Filson Tin cruiser. The Idea was to get a classic light jacket that showed patina similar to a leather jacket without leather. My wife hates it and says it's a farmers jacket plus it has a waxy cottony smell. How does this forum feel about something like this in general?
She's right. It's a farmer's jacket. It looks terrible and the only way it gets by on these forums is because people draw on all sorts of ridiculous masculine myths about heritage, Americana, getting back to your roots, the working man, etc. Aesthetically, it's terrible. You look like you're about to go butcher some hogs. People need to stop letting their politics drive their aesthetic sensibility.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ To each is own. But as a noob to the world of style/ sartorialism, I must say that most of the 'Filson wear' I saw in online pictures was different from the Filson I saw in real life.

The first looked 'glossy', very stylish, etc; in real life I found them to be the opposite, i.e. mostly unwearable. I am sure they are good products that serve a specific purpose, but outside of this l am not sure if they make sense for people as general fashion wear. Not for me, at least.

OTOH, I still love Filson luggage.

ev01ut10ndt

Reaction score
I posted over in SW&D, but wanted to see if you guys would know....

How do you guys hang your suede jackets and knit sweaters? Or do you not at all and put it away in a drawer? I'm worried about the stretching that may occur at the shoulders if I were to hang them up. From what I have heard, I should be getting those wide suit hangers, correct?

Also, any need to pretreat the suede leather to prevent any staining? Its a medium tan color. Every time I wear my suede jacket, I think of the Seinfeld episode where his suede jacket gets rained on. Thanks for your inputs!

JacobJacob

Reaction score
This is a bit urgent... Can anybody provide me with more info on those jackets from this auction? It says the sizes of the jackets are 26/27 (and that the sleeves are rather short). What do these measurements corresponds to in US or (preferably) European sizes?

Brandon -B-

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
She's right. It's a farmer's jacket. It looks terrible and the only way it gets by on these forums is because people draw on all sorts of ridiculous masculine myths about heritage, Americana, getting back to your roots, the working man, etc. Aesthetically, it's terrible. You look like you're about to go butcher some hogs. People need to stop letting their politics drive their aesthetic sensibility.
Thanks. I want to like it but it just isn't nice enough and you're probably right. I have no question that if you used it to work in it would last a million years. Well thanks to the Americana and Heritage at least I should be able to unload it without too much of a loss. I'm not doing too much for the Jacket either and I'm kind of a style mess anyway but it doesn't help that I'm built like a square at 5'9 with a 44 to 46 in. chest nothing fashionable fits me off the rack. Oh well I gotta start somewhere and getting rid of this jacket seems to be a good start.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ev01ut10ndt
I posted over in SW&D, but wanted to see if you guys would know....

How do you guys hang your suede jackets and knit sweaters? Or do you not at all and put it away in a drawer? I'm worried about the stretching that may occur at the shoulders if I were to hang them up. From what I have heard, I should be getting those wide suit hangers, correct?

Also, any need to pretreat the suede leather to prevent any staining? Its a medium tan color. Every time I wear my suede jacket, I think of the Seinfeld episode where his suede jacket gets rained on. Thanks for your inputs!

Fold knits and scarves. Roll ties. Hang jackets in wide shouldered hangers. Hang pants by their creases. Hang shirts on wooden hangers. Put cedar blocks near wools in case of moths.

More info here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=151230

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
Originally Posted by dah328
Good post, but the bolded portion is hyperbole. You can't get a decent bespoke jacket for $500-600.
Where?

What do you mean by "Where?" If you're asking about getting a decent bespoke jacket for $500-600, you can't do that anywhere.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rudedog
Silk pocket square with a grenadine tie? I wouldn't wear a silk PS with any other silk tie, but I'm thinking the texture of the grenadine is sufficiently different that a silk PS would work. Am I wrong?
It's a matter of formality as well as texture. In general, darker grenadines are pretty formal ties and silk squares are less formal. I might wear a silk square with a lighter grenadine, but it's unlikely that I would wear one with a black or navy grenadine.

RedRaider

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a few shoe trees at less than $8/per pair?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedRaider
Anyone know where I can get a few shoe trees at less than $8/per pair?
You're not likely to find full cedar shoe trees at that price. If you have shoes worth tree-ing, it's worth shelling out a few extra bucks to get trees that fit them properly.

ltoolio

Reaction score
BiggSkip - thanks for the advice and knowledge...I've already placed my order for Flusser's book, and I appreciate the info regarding the coat (and the fact that I can now read up on the topic of worsted wool).

Love the Ric Flair pic/quote, BTW.

LT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads