• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Wow! I've only came across one Bijan thing before and it was Made in Mexico, so it must have been a fake or a licensed thing. Two real Bijan pieces in two weeks is insane!
There has been a Made in Italy Bijan jacket hanging in a local thrift for months. It is gray with burgundy pinstripes and, obviously, an orphan. Every time I go in I search for the pants. I'm going to buy the damned thing one of these days and be done with it!
Originally Posted by CasmirRadon
This is more directed towards everyone asking this question. But this is really a forum for bragging, not learning how to flip.
I'm not trying to pick a fight, but this is a forum about thrifting, and flipping, like it or not, is part of thrifting and discussing it has been part of this forum as long as I've been coming here.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone like belvest

Xenos

Reaction score
I like Belvest. Don't think I'm alone in that. Have you seen much of it?

Temujin

Reaction score
I remember one of my first experiences with ebay, having one of my auctions go for just the first bid at $0.99. I just had to laugh and think: "well, maybe I'll get a deal this good someday."

That is exactly why I no longer use auctions. Fixed price only, one month duration, that way I don't get burnt if it does not bid up...if it does not sell, I can always lower the price.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belvest? I see

Picked up a recent 50L charcoal pinstripe DB sc with double vents and no surgeon cuffs. Also a frank theak and roskilly tie. Oh, and AE Byron captoes in 9E.

If anyone is interested in the captoes, please let me know. I will proxy.

Going to stop by a few places after my flight.

Cheers

hyakku

Reaction score
Tried to do my own bit of thrifting / discount shopping this weekend after taking a look at this spread and having some luck last week finding a nice Lanvin tweed (I believe, new at a lot of this) jacket that nearly fits me perfectly. I grabbed this three piece over the weekend for only around $60, kind of expensive, but I really liked the feel of the suit (turns out its virgin wool if the tag is anything to go by) and it's in pristine shape. It's made by Dulce & Gabbana, who I'm not too familiar with when it comes to their suits, but seems to have a really good build and is extraordinarily comfortable. I need to get it tailored a bit though, and I'm currently trying to decide whether to keep it or not (would need to have it taken in a bit, pants are a bit long, as are the sleeves). Can anyone help identify this for me, I can understand the Italian on the tag but I can't seem to find a date it was made or anything? Sorry for the quality of the pics, they aren't the best and it's more of a brown color than the pics reflect, the best reflection of color is probably in the vest picture. Please tell me if the pics are too big, I resized them for the thread.
photo1jz.jpg
photo2mg.jpg
photo3ud.jpg
photo4wz.jpg

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hyakku -
without seeing the main tag it's hard to tell whether it's d&g or dolce gabanna mainline. Probably the mainline. Um, it's a 40r, 100% virgin wool, probably isn't super recent but looks really nice. You would have no trouble selling it for at least twice what you paid for it. Very nice pickup, the styling is desirable

hyakku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Looks like it may be mainline Dolce & Gabbana judging by the lining where you can make out "Dolce and Gabbana" written out. Mainline is pretty nice stuff, so for $60 you did very well!

Thanks nataku and mainy, the main tag does have dolce and gabbana written out on a black tag, and yes nataku like you spotted it's written in the lining. Thanks for letting me know, I'm still learning a lot about better clothing so I'm glad i was able to pick this out on more than name, I had left it inthe store last week because I didn't wanna just be a label junkie, but when I picked it out again this weekend I knew i had to grab it.

I didn't have any luck at any of the GW I went to today, saw a griege tie that I kind of liked but wasn't too famiiar with the brand and the fabric was kind of iffy, also saw a Christian dior one that was nice but was slightly unkempt and was on a silver label which I'm told is from one of their rented out liscenses.

I gotta give it to y'all who can do this normally. Theres so much stuff to go through it's ridiculous, but maybe its just because I'm in LA. Im gonna try going on weekdays when theres less people during wor hours.

Now I'm on the hunt for some good shoes, just from this thread ive learned a lot and realize I should probably learn some more before I go purchase any new ones

RedRaider

Reaction score
Dropped off some stuff at GW and ran inside real quick to see what's new - this specific GW has gone down hill very quickly since GW restructured how it distributes collected goods.

I did find one nice Emporio Armani shirt 15 3/4 x 35 - near new for $3.75.

Other than that, this GW has been quickly removed from my top 3 stores in the area.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys like burgundy shoes? I saw a pair of AE Sanfords in 9E just like the AE Byrons in 9E I bought today. I simply can't do burgundy shoes for some odd reason. Am I the only one? Maybe I need to warm up to them

cheers

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hyakku

I didn't have any luck at any of the GW I went to today, saw a griege tie that I kind of liked but wasn't too famiiar with the brand and the fabric was kind of iffy, also saw a Christian dior one that was nice but was slightly unkempt and was on a silver label which I'm told is from one of their rented out liscenses.

I gotta give it to y'all who can do this normally. Theres so much stuff to go through it's ridiculous, but maybe its just because I'm in LA. Im gonna try going on weekdays when theres less people during wor hours.

Now I'm on the hunt for some good shoes, just from this thread ive learned a lot and realize I should probably learn some more before I go purchase any new ones

Most stuff that say "Christian Dior" on them is junk. They did have a Christian Dior boutique label that was very high quality, though. Not sure they made men's clothing though. Look our for a plain black or silver tag that simply says "Dior" on it. This is the stuff you wanna grab.

Yeah, going on the weekdays is best. Weekends is way too crowded and picked over unless you go early in the morning on Saturday. Since you're in LA, you're in a good area for thrifting. Lots of money around there. Keep at it!

alfair

Reaction score
Stopped by 4 stores today and came up empty handed. Was tempted by Brandini sweaters and Laurant Bennet ties but I'm glad I didn't pick them up given what my search results turned up.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropped off some stuff from a family member who I was helping move today, middle-of-nowhere-Ohio, only thrift for 40 miles. Figured it for a quick stop, ended up taking awhile.

Canali suit, 3 button charcoalish/brownish "Natural Comfort" - anyone know what that means? 100% wool so it's not a blend or anything, and I've never seen that label before. Name was sewn in it, it belonged to the dean of the business school at a university the next city over. I HATE how Canali is size-down-12 instead of 10 - every time I see a Canali it's size 58, I swear, and I get excited... and then realize that's really a 46, not a 48-50 like I need.

NOS AE Saratoga tassel loafers, size 8.5AA - yeah, super-narrow, but NOS? Had to snag them. These shoes may

Some of you may recall I'm a little bit of a hanger maniac... so you won't be surprised to hear that my most exciting find was a J. Press hanger! Looks very recent, has the current stores on the logo, and is in perfect condition - not even the usual nicks or wear spots on it. I turned the store upside down looking for the suit that I'm certain must have come in on it - no luck. I don't HAVE anything yet from J. Press to put on it, but I'll keep the hanger as a J. Press suit is one of my grails!

Oh... and on the long drive back home, I got greedy and stopped by a normally reliable store. Skunked, of course!
laugh.gif
Gotta remember that stores that are hit by flippers regularly are a waste of time on Sundays, more often than not.

Suit & hanger:
P1060222.JPG

Shoes - yes, there's shopwear, I see the creases, but the soles are pristine and have never been off carpet:
P1060223.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads