• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfair

Reaction score
Hey guys, decided to try again with the advice I was given as response to my last post. Initially picked up much more on my first scan through the store and returned 90% of it to the racks due to fit etc. Final purchases were two shirts and two ties.

Shirts:
1)Muted pink w/white vertical stripes Idillio Postano
2) Etro Milano

Ties:
1) 3 inch repp tie Britches of Georgetowne
2) 3.5 inch Bespoke by Britches of Georgetowne (Made in Italy)

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Wow! I've only came across one Bijan thing before and it was Made in Mexico, so it must have been a fake or a licensed thing. Two real Bijan pieces in two weeks is insane!

Went thrifting today. Hit 4 stores and 3 of them were a bust. Found a nice Borrelli for Neiman Marcus shirt at the last one, but it had an iron-on cloth tag on the collar. Anyone have an idea on how to remove these damn things?

Also, at the first shop my heart skipped a beat when among a bunch of Van Heusens and Geoffery Beenes was what I thought was a Brioni. Boy was I disappoined when I picked it out the double check. WTF is this?!

0122111603.jpg

Lol. I see that label all of the time. You're not alone

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CasmirRadon
Good to hear about a nice day k4lnamja, some great finds there.

I got the itch tonight and quickly hopped by a nearby store tonight on my break. I found a few things, but nothing else is really worth mentioning when you find a Bijan 100% cashmere navy blazer with white MOP buttons. In quite good (but not mint) condition, which is especially notable since the date on the fabric tag is 1973.

Second Bijan in two weeks, and at a different store that is obviously using the same distribution center. Tore the rest of the rack apart and that was it.

too bad it's one size too big for me. Still, ought to bring in more money then I'll get all day from my actual job today (yeah, not very highly paid over here).

Thanks, Casmir! Too bad I didn't find anything at those places you rec'd. Make sure to keep the secret spots I found between you and me
smile.gif
haha

I MIGHT go tomorrow morning. Do you think they put
out "new" stuff on Sundays?

Temujin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Anyone heard of bragano shoes? It's an Italian

I like Bragano's. I think Cole Haan owns them now. It is also a very flippable brand, but not for very much. Depends on the size, esp. the width.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Never heard of Idillio Postano. Sounds like one of those labels that say "Designed in Italy, made in Korea". The Etro is the only thing I would have grabbed from that lot.

Britches of Georgetowne is usually good stuff. That repp tie would be an easy flip....er, sale to a fellow SF or AAAC member.

Also, you should have picked up that Borroni. It would have looked great with the Briani tie I saw yesterday.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
I like Bragano's. I think Cole Haan owns them now. It is also a very flippable brand, but not for very much. Depends on the size, esp. the width.

Ah. Thanks for the info. If anyone wants a pair of 8.5 D Braganos wingtips (or were they longwings) in brown then let me know in the next few hrs. I believe reg price was 21.99. Conus is probably 30.

Also, how flippable are zegna shoes/loafers?

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Also, how flippable are zegna shoes/loafers?
This is more directed towards everyone asking this question. But this is really a forum for bragging, not learning how to flip. You'll get much faster answers by just searching ebay by "completed auctions." And the answer for zegna shoes is, it depends on what kind of shoe you have on your hands, maybe just a little, maybe a whole hell of a lot.

Temujin

Reaction score
Some more shoe finds:
AE Wingtips 8.5 D
J&M "Cellini" orange cap toes 9.5 M
Cordwainer Wright captoes 10 A (
frown.gif
for the width)
Doc Martens 6 women's

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Daseinflaw
When I see things like this, my jaw drops and I must wonder--where the hell do you guys shop? I've been thrifting for ages in my area (granted it's in a medium-size town) and no luck whatsoever.

I hear you. Most of us have nowhere near the kind of luck that folks like Nataku, frenchy and EBTX66 have. But I think you have to enjoy the hunt and not expect too much. I also live in a sartorial wasteland and the good finds are few and far between. I've been debating spending less time at the thrift, more time at the office and therefore having more money to buy B&S, where there are tons of good deals to be had.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
...I've been debating spending less time at the thrift, more time at the office and therefore having more money to buy B&S, where there are tons of good deals to be had.

I love hunting thrift stores, but it's funny. I used to be able to go through my outfit on any given day and point out what I got at which thrift store. Increasingly these days a lot of the times are from B&S instead. And hell, I'm damn cheap when it comes to buying the few items that I do pick up from here, but those few purchases make up some of my favorite items.

Also, I can't be the only one who actually gets an inspired feeling when I buy something nice to flip, and find out that I'll barely be able to make my money back on ebay. Because that just means I can buy one of my own in my own size on ebay, and for peanuts.

For example, anyone notice that Hickey Freeman stuff consistently sells for surprisingly low prices on the bay?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CasmirRadon

Also, I can't be the only one who actually gets an inspired feeling when I buy something nice to flip, and find out that I'll barely be able to make my money back on ebay. Because that just means I can buy one of my own in my own size on ebay, and for peanuts.

For example, anyone notice that Hickey Freeman stuff consistently sells for surprisingly low prices on the bay?

Yes, that is the silver lining behind an ebay auction sometimes. Hickey Freeman is a great example IMO. Of all the suits and sport coats I have handled over the years, only Oxxford impresses me more than Hickey Freeman.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Yes, that is the silver lining behind an ebay auction sometimes. Hickey Freeman is a great example IMO. Of all the suits and sport coats I have handled over the years, only Oxxford impresses me more than Hickey Freeman.

Appropriate that you should mention another great example of a high-end label that often (not always) sells for remarkably little on ebay.

I remember one of my first experiences with ebay, having one of my auctions go for just the first bid at $0.99. I just had to laugh and think: "well, maybe I'll get a deal this good someday."

RedRaider

Reaction score
Thrifting takes a ton of patience. Fortunately I've got some good stores that seem to have nice items most weeks. The tough thing for me to pace myself and don't buy everything. For whatever reason I just buy stuff for myself and don't trip to flip anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads