• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

spencers

Reaction score
a sluggish 6.04mi last night in 44:10
on treadmill inside a gym with the HEAT ON. it was ridiculously hot in there.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely have pushed myself in terms of doing about a month of this cycle's training in the hilly part of san diego where I grew up, which has assisted greatly in the strength component. I built a pretty solid mileage base last year (I think around 2.300) and that has helped a ton as well. Over the past 14-15 weeks I have also knocked out some (6) strong 70+ mile weeks, most of which have included some form of repeat (albeit most of those workouts were executed in an ad hoc and inadvisable fashion).
The 10k time I ran on thanksgiving - a 37:47 is the time I have used to indicate my VDOT paces.
Another huge change for my training has been beginning to use a GPS watch (Garmin 110) - although it is a useful tool, I have a very hard time letting myself run a recovery pace with it.

I think that getting as aerobically fit as I can - by running a lot of miles consistently is the thing that has helped me really improve.
Today I went for a verrrrrryyyyyy slow 2.5 miler with my girlfriend. I will run another 7 later tonight.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did 11 miles today, it was 13 degrees out and sunny, after about 2.5 miles of freezing, I warmed up and really sped up, I reckon the hill training had started to show some benifit.
We got about 2 inches of fluff last night, so it was awesome getting some first tracks in the trails
My pace has sped up about 1 mph.
I left the phone behind so no pics today, although it was stunningly beautiful.
Heading to Santa Barbara tomorrow evening, so I am bringing my trail shoes, Ive mapped out a few trail runs to hit, most are gain or loss of 1000 ft per mile
bounce2.gif
so Ill likely stick to some shorter distances (plus Ill be in meetings all day, so not alot of time to run). Ill also hit some tasty beach runs.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mellow 8.75 miler tonight on san diego hills -
Will have to plug in the garmin but prob about a 7:10 pace

PITAronin

Reaction score
Did the San Antonio Road Runners 25k Endurathon yesterday. A nice punishing course with a couple of sneaky characteristics. First, it's set up as both a 25k and a 25k relay. So as someone running the whole 25k, there's a tendency to get caught up pacing yourself against some speedster over the first 8 (totally uphill) miles. Then he drops out and hands off to his partner at the 8 mile mark, your legs are shot from the pace and the hills. But then you start getting chicked when things flatten out in the second half and you try to increase your pace, even though these are the second leg runners and are going to be far fresher than you (ok "than me"). And, finally, having busted yourself up over 13 or so miles, the race organizers throw in a 1-mile total uphill stretch between 13.5 and 14.5. All in all, lots of good masochistic fun. (One additional high point is that I now have a trophy tile reading "2011 Endurathon Second Place". Of course, far be it from me to let anyone know that it's for 2nd place among the guys over 60 - a much smaller cadre of runners - than 2nd place overall.) Let me enjoy the moment.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had to get out of the house yesterday after being cooped up with a bad cold most of the week. Haven't run since I hurt my heel last wednesday also. Did 5.6 miles and it felt great, may have even helped finally kick this crap out of my chest and head:

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

and some typical January scenes:
IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

Felt great getting back out there!

spencers

Reaction score
it was 61 degrees out today, so I'd be stupid not to run!

a slow 6.4mi in 50:10, testing out the nike+ GPS app. not bad, not bad.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Badass pics NYRanger looks real cool out there
just had a solid 17 miler - last long run.
Felt in control the whole way at a 6:59 pace
1\t00:06:59\t1.00\t06:59
2\t00:06:57\t1.00\t06:57
3\t00:06:40\t1.00\t06:40
4\t00:06:59\t1.00\t07:00
5\t00:07:02\t1.00\t07:02
6\t00:07:00\t1.00\t07:00
7\t00:07:00\t1.00\t07:00
8\t00:07:02\t1.00\t07:02
9\t00:07:06\t1.00\t07:06
10\t00:07:07\t1.00\t07:07
11\t00:06:58\t1.00\t06:58
12\t00:07:01\t1.00\t07:01
13\t00:06:55\t1.00\t06:55
14\t00:07:05\t1.00\t07:05
15\t00:06:58\t1.00\t06:58
16\t00:07:10\t1.00\t07:10
17\t00:06:50\t1.00\t06:50
18\t00:00:02\t0.01\t05:24

those are the splits. Now time to wrestle with taper madness . . . .

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 mile sunrise run to the beach in Santa Barbara....it was breath taking.
Didn't bring phone so no pics, I am also going to do an afternooner as well, will bring phone...
Pics soon.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
Did the San Antonio Road Runners 25k Endurathon yesterday. A nice punishing course with a couple of sneaky characteristics. First, it's set up as both a 25k and a 25k relay. So as someone running the whole 25k, there's a tendency to get caught up pacing yourself against some speedster over the first 8 (totally uphill) miles. Then he drops out and hands off to his partner at the 8 mile mark, your legs are shot from the pace and the hills. But then you start getting chicked when things flatten out in the second half and you try to increase your pace, even though these are the second leg runners and are going to be far fresher than you (ok "than me"). And, finally, having busted yourself up over 13 or so miles, the race organizers throw in a 1-mile total uphill stretch between 13.5 and 14.5. All in all, lots of good masochistic fun. (One additional high point is that I now have a trophy tile reading "2011 Endurathon Second Place". Of course, far be it from me to let anyone know that it's for 2nd place among the guys over 60 - a much smaller cadre of runners - than 2nd place overall.) Let me enjoy the moment.

Excellent! Congratulations

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Had to get out of the house yesterday after being cooped up with a bad cold most of the week. Haven't run since I hurt my heel last wednesday also. Did 5.6 miles and it felt great, may have even helped finally kick this crap out of my chest and head:

(...)
Felt great getting back out there!

nice pics and glad you're back at it.

Originally Posted by samblackbones
(...)

those are the splits. Now time to wrestle with taper madness . . . .

Yeah, I'm in my taper phase myself.

Originally Posted by antirabbit
5 mile sunrise run to the beach in Santa Barbara....it was breath taking.
Didn't bring phone so no pics, I am also going to do an afternooner as well, will bring phone...
Pics soon.

I'll bet the weather's gorgeous.

Saturday I barely ran, and Sunday not at all, because I had the thousand-yard stare working Saturday night. Tried to sleep in which was not quite effective, and then got into a boatload of chores. One of those chores involved me digging a new post-hole for a new mailbox post, and - don't ask me why - I ended up jogging from the garage to the front of the house with a 50-lb bag of concrete on my shoulder. Later that night I felt it in the bottom of my foot, which made me not really happy. But then again, it could have been from a seam I caught earlier in the day which buckled my ankle outwards. Hurt a bit this morning but am hitting the ibuprofen and took this morning off. Also wary about getting sick, as the fam is on rebound-colds. Ah well.

caryrobert

Reaction score
Hi,

on sunday I wake up at 5 clock in morning and run about 5 miles covering my whole park and near by road.

Thanks!

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rest day today -
ran the last 13 days in a row but I still feel guilty.
Oh well - rest does a body good.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
Rest day today -
ran the last 13 days in a row but I still feel guilty.
Oh well - rest does a body good.

^^^Awesome...I was the same way until this summer when I turned 33. Somehow my body craves more rest now, and if I don't, I wind up injuring myself. Now I have to give myself at least one day of a week, many weeks 2. Also helps that my kids are a little older, and I get to spend the time with them!

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2nd'd NYR, I just took two days off and my predawn 6 felt awesome. Helped that it got up to 25 today.

Swededude

Reaction score
Yesterday: 8 miles, day before yesterday: 13 miles. Love longer runs in a slower pace!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics