• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but it's worth knowing what a tailor can and can't do. Sleeves and pant legs can be shortened without a problem, and sometimes lengthened a bit if there is extra fabric. Jackets and pants can be slimmed down. Making shoulders smaller will require re-cutting the jacket and is likely not worth it. I don't think anyone can make the shoulders bigger. Shortening a jacket can be done, but proceed with caution.

This is exactly what i wanted to know.

So,

(1) One cannot increase shoulder size,

(2) If shortening a jacket, do it very carefully.

I asked because there's often some superb suits/ SCs here that I would consider buying but they're a size too large or small.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
This is exactly what i wanted to know. So, (1) One cannot increase shoulder size, (2) If shortening a jacket, do it very carefully. I asked because there's often some superb suits/ SCs here that I would consider buying but they're a size too large or small.
I've had some serious alterations done to jackets. You obviously can take anything in. Taking in the waist and shortening sleeves is pretty basic. That shouldn't run you more than $50 I'd say at a decent shop. You can also shorten a jacket, but only about an inch at most before you start throwing the balance of. This costs about $50-60 at the place I go to. Taking in shoulders is more complicated, but note that if you do this, you can sometimes save money on shortening the sleeve (since the sleeve will necessarily be shortened when you take the shoulders in). Taking in the shoulder costs about $80 at the shops I've been at. You can also take in the chest or make the armholes higher (this will shorten the jacket though), but these are major operations. Each will probably run you around $80-100. I've bought SCs on the cheap and then had major tailing work done with pretty good success. In the end, however, you pay about $150-200 in alteration costs. Really, once you hit that, you have to ask whether this kind of stuff is worth it. If you've found a pretty decent SC for $100-200, then maybe. Otherwise, if it's a $300-400 SC, and you're dropping possibly another $200, you're getting close to the price where you can just get something bespoke. Also, here's a link for you http://mensstyleblog.blogspot.com/20...rt-1-suit.html

quuz

Reaction score
I have a pair of oxfords in nubuck, problem is that the leather is really dried out at some spots, how do I combat this? I have some leather balsam but it says it shouldnt be used with leather/nubuck.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I've had some serious alterations done to jackets.

You obviously can take anything in. Taking in the waist and shortening sleeves is pretty basic. That shouldn't run you more than $50 I'd say at a decent shop. You can also shorten a jacket, but only about an inch at most before you start throwing the balance of. This costs about $50-60 at the place I go to. Taking in shoulders is more complicated, but note that if you do this, you can sometimes save money on shortening the sleeve (since the sleeve will necessarily be shortened when you take the shoulders in). Taking in the shoulder costs about $80 at the shops I've been at. You can also take in the chest or make the armholes higher (this will shorten the jacket though), but these are major operations. Each will probably run you around $80-100.

I've bought SCs on the cheap and then had major tailing work done with pretty good success. In the end, however, you pay about $150-200 in alteration costs. Really, once you hit that, you have to ask whether this kind of stuff is worth it. If you've found a pretty decent SC for $100-200, then maybe. Otherwise, if it's a $300-400 SC, and you're dropping possibly another $200, you're getting close to the price where you can just get something bespoke.

Also, here's a link for you

http://mensstyleblog.blogspot.com/20...rt-1-suit.html

Thank you; this was brilliant.

indianshaft

Reaction score
Anyone whether the first or second letter indicates width? so a/b would be what width? Thanks

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Forgot to note - you can only shorten the sleeves cheaply when there aren't working buttonholes. Unfortunately, some idiot decided that RTW/ OTR SCs should have working buttonholes, so for many of these things, you have to make sure the sleeve length is right. If the jacket has working buttonholes and you still want to take up the sleeve, you have to do it from the shoulder. This can be about a $75 job.

Alexander006

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I do hope all of you has had a wonderful New years although I am new to these forums. First off, I found this forum when i did an online search for clothing forums to talk with other men about clothing just to get ideas and information on apparel i need. Second, Im having a bit of bad luck finsind the type of clothing im looking for. Im 5'6 and weigh 160 pounds. i have an athletic build and my pants waist is a 32w and inseam is about a 29L. I get frustrated that I can never find the right piece of clothing for my body type. Isnt there a place for me to go or online to buy a pair of pants that the crotch part of the pants doesnt hang too low or where can i buy low rise jeans and low rise pants? Is there even a manufacture that makes short rise or low rise bottoms for men? I have a simple yet functional look when it comes to my style. First off, I ride motorcycles so i need garments that move with me, not swallowing me up or making me look like im too small for them. Any help would be greatly appreciative. Thanks in advanced. Im a new member so if anyone wishes to leave me a message thats fine or an email, thanks, [email protected], my email.

JS1357

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander006
Hello everyone! I do hope all of you has had a wonderful New years although I am new to these forums. First off, I found this forum when i did an online search for clothing forums to talk with other men about clothing just to get ideas and information on apparel i need. Second, Im having a bit of bad luck finsind the type of clothing im looking for. Im 5'6 and weigh 160 pounds. i have an athletic build and my pants waist is a 32w and inseam is about a 29L. I get frustrated that I can never find the right piece of clothing for my body type. Isnt there a place for me to go or online to buy a pair of pants that the crotch part of the pants doesnt hang too low or where can i buy low rise jeans and low rise pants? Is there even a manufacture that makes short rise or low rise bottoms for men? I have a simple yet functional look when it comes to my style. First off, I ride motorcycles so i need garments that move with me, not swallowing me up or making me look like im too small for them. Any help would be greatly appreciative. Thanks in advanced. Im a new member so if anyone wishes to leave me a message thats fine or an email, thanks, [email protected], my email.

Jimmy Au's of Beverly Hills.
http://www.jimmyaus.com/jimmyaus/
They have leather jackets and jeans that will fit your body.

BossTweed

Reaction score
Looking for a similar belt, or the exact same model, but with a sliver/nickel buckle. Any suggestions? It's Salvatore Ferragamo.

ibZ1jg.png

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I've had some serious alterations done to jackets.

You obviously can take anything in. Taking in the waist and shortening sleeves is pretty basic. That shouldn't run you more than $50 I'd say at a decent shop. You can also shorten a jacket, but only about an inch at most before you start throwing the balance of. This costs about $50-60 at the place I go to. Taking in shoulders is more complicated, but note that if you do this, you can sometimes save money on shortening the sleeve (since the sleeve will necessarily be shortened when you take the shoulders in). Taking in the shoulder costs about $80 at the shops I've been at. You can also take in the chest or make the armholes higher (this will shorten the jacket though), but these are major operations. Each will probably run you around $80-100.

I've bought SCs on the cheap and then had major tailing work done with pretty good success. In the end, however, you pay about $150-200 in alteration costs. Really, once you hit that, you have to ask whether this kind of stuff is worth it. If you've found a pretty decent SC for $100-200, then maybe. Otherwise, if it's a $300-400 SC, and you're dropping possibly another $200, you're getting close to the price where you can just get something bespoke.

Also, here's a link for you

http://mensstyleblog.blogspot.com/20...rt-1-suit.html

Good post, but the bolded portion is hyperbole. You can't get a decent bespoke jacket for $500-600.

rudedog

Reaction score
Silk pocket square with a grenadine tie? I wouldn't wear a silk PS with any other silk tie, but I'm thinking the texture of the grenadine is sufficiently different that a silk PS would work. Am I wrong?

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do i keep my shoelaces on my dress shoes from untying themselves?

Wingoose

Reaction score
how do alden's fit compared to AEs? I'm an 11D in AEs, would I be an 11D in alden's as well? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads